Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I just bought some Ottertex® Polyester Ripstop (PU) - 8.7 oz, so it's late to ask if anyone has experience with it. Details/specs looked good enough to just go for it. I'm coming from Duck Cloth and want something a bit better...

Really hoping I didn't make a mistake.. I'll know personally next Wednesday.

I'll ask anyway.... Anyone have experience with the material?

ChrisWRF

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Madison Mississippi
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I am using the exact same materials right now. With any canopy type material the thread is your weakest link typically. So as long as you get a thread that is UV protected this material is going to last you a long time. Also, use the correct needle size and make sure your stitch knots are correct with you thread tension. A couple things to be aware of is what ever seem you make pick the best one for you application. The other thing is it’s a good idea to put a seem sealer just to help with the holes from the needle.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I match thread to material so 100% polyester thread just makes sense. Needle, I'm trying the microtex/sharp as it creates the smallest hole (that I could find) and was advised it will handle 2 layers, possibly 3 with ease. Though is, if I don't push it, it may handle the velcro as it's such a small hole (and no fancy stitch pattern). I was also told, if possible, use a blind stitch so no thread is exposed. I'm not a big fan of this as it only has the strength of a single row of thread.. I'd rather expose thread and get that double run and like you say, seal it.

Thank you for the response and thoughts!

Reactions: Craigm