Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

"Quad City area?" Where is that....???
Prescott and surrounding cities. I'll be choosing a place to meet up nearby the interstate, probably 40, as we will be taking that most of the way.

Just got home last night after 10 and crashed. I'll be posting the route tonight after work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

We have 2 options guys. First, we could drive straight through. It's around 10 hours. I know we don't have a problem, but if more people want to camp in the Mojave area, then we can do that.

I just watched #0000's video, and they are checking everyone in on Friday at noon. If we arrive at Shaver on Thursday, then we need to get our own camp site for that night only.

What do you say guys? Leave Thursday and drive straight through? Camp somewhere along the route overnight? Or leave before the crack of dawn (midnightish) and drive in on Friday?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I like the idea of breaking the drive up a bit and camping for a night somewhere along the way (Mojave or wherever). @David Jones and I will be coming up from Tucson, so we'll already have about 4 hours under our belt before we even meet up with the convoy in Prescott.

Reactions: MrsFantastico

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Awesome! I'll get a nice meetup spot off 40 nearby so you don't have to cut over more.

Sorry for the delay guys! I wanted to hear the announcement from Corrie & M with their plan before moving forward.

Thanks!
I like the idea of breaking the drive up a bit and camping for a night somewhere along the way (Mojave or wherever). @David Jones and I will be coming up from Tucson, so we'll already have about 4 hours under our belt before we even meet up with the convoy in Prescott.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
@amandashelbywho I will be in Yosemite NP on a adventure, leading up to OTG West 2017. We will only be a short 3 hour drive to the event, so will not be joining the convoy. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Happy Saturday! I am packing up a storm here, and I wanted to send off the route to everyone. Please ask questions, and if you feel there is something that can be better, speak up!

Its hard for me to plan routes to the rally point, as they are from all over... However, I got a meet up place right on I-40/Route 66, without going out of your way.

Thursday, September 28th: Start time @ Rally point: 11:00am

I-40 the whole way today (with stops. about 4 - 4 1/2 hours in total)

Rally Point: Ash Fork Route 66 Museum
901 Old Route 66
Ash Fork, AZ 86320

Fuel Stops: (Depending on everyone's fuel level, this may be adjusted)

Kingman: 12:30/1:00
Loves @ Lake Havasu: 2:00

Camping: Arrive by 3:30pm

Granite Pass in the Mojave
From I-40 W, set your ODM to rach 6.1 miles.
Make a Right on Kelbaker Rd going towards Kelso
Continue on Kelbaker road and pass the Kelso Sand Dunes turnoff
Take a Right on an unmarked small dirt road just before the Radio Tower you'll see on the left
Drive about 1 mile down the road and start with the furthest site working your way back up towards the road to find one that is open

As we pass the Granite Pass overlook, we will come around a bend with a road leading up a big hill. Go down a small road just past the big hill on the Left. Follow the directions above to find a campsite.

Notes about the campsite:
High Clearance Vehicles are recommended (I don't think anyone will have a problem here!)
No fees (Free!!!)
First come first serve spots
No water, bathrooms or picnic tables
Fire rings at designated spots

Friday, September 29th: Depart camp between 6 & 6:30am

Take the reverse route back to I-40 W from our campsite via Kelbaker (78 miles)
Merge onto I-15 S (3.6 miles)
Take exit for CA-58 towards Bakersfield (127 miles)
Take CA-99 N (106 miles)
Get onto CA-41 N towards Yosemite (2.7 miles)
Take exit 128A for CA-180 towards Kings Canyon (.5 miles)
Keep Left at the fork, follow signs for Rote 168 E/Clovis/Huntington Lake (11 miles)
Continue straight onto Sierra Fwy (22 miles)
Turn Left to stay on CA-168 (15 miles)
Turn Right onto Sparrow Rd (500 ft)
Arrive at Shaver Lake!

Fuel Stops:

Barstow: 7:00/7:30
Bakersfield: 9:00/9:30
Visalia: 10:30/11:00
Fresno/Clovis: 11:30/12:00
Shaver Lake top off: 12:00/12:30

If everything works out right, we will arrive at Camp Edison right after the first rush has gone through. Most likely around 12:30 - 1:00pm.

Keep an eye out for updates before we head out. And again, if you have any suggestions for changes please let everyone know!

As soon as its finalized I will print this out with maps for everyone upon our meetup.

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Awesome, thank you for coordinating all of this! We'll see you Thursday!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Drive up Thurs, meetup in Flag, then drive to Mojave, camp (Thursday night). Wake up Friday morning early and head to OTG.

Food provided by OTG: Friday dinner, Saturday lunch & dinner.

I'd also be interested in coordinates for the Mojave camp spot if they are available. I like to have my routing set up as much as possible, even if somebody else is leading

Fuegonaz

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

Looking at OTG west, it states "sold out". Will this be any issue for us? Doesn't sound like it will just making sure.

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Ok, so here?
901 Old Rte 66
901 Old Rte 66, Ash Fork, AZ 86320

https://goo.gl/maps/spaYuxZM7f92
Thursday and Friday leave Saturday? Trying to meal prep. What's our primary communication? Do we have a map overlay of the route? Head count?
The route 66 museum is that address, yes.

Comms: CB channel 16

I will have a head count by tomorrow, if anyone can't make it please let me know so I don't count you.

I should also have a map posted tomorrow as well. Trying to figure out how to do that.

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Drive up Thurs, meetup in Flag, then drive to Mojave, camp (Thursday night). Wake up Friday morning early and head to OTG.

Food provided by OTG: Friday dinner, Saturday lunch & dinner.

I'd also be interested in coordinates for the Mojave camp spot if they are available. I like to have my routing set up as much as possible, even if somebody else is leading
These coordinates are not exact. I have never been there, so I am going off someone else's directions.

34.903209,-115.644421

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Looking at OTG west, it states "sold out". Will this be any issue for us? Doesn't sound like it will just making sure.
If you have not already purchased a pass, you will not be able to attend the OTG rally at Shaver Lake. Due to trail constraints, the event is limited to only 60 vehicles. There are a few driver's passes that have gone up last minute over the last couple days from people having last-minute vehicle issues. Search around the forums to see.

this one looks like it's still available: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/off-the-grid-2017-drivers-ticket.9905/

If you don't have an OTG pass but you want to just join for the Mojave Thursday night camp, I suspect you are welcome to join.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I paid my fee and have a receipt on line however never got a "pass". So now what?
Yep, you should be set. I don't think are actual physical passes, I think they'll just check our names off a list as we arrive

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Check your emails! Looks like they just sent out the itinerary and FAQ email

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ok thanks to brian for the link! I have a OTG ticket! You guys still have room for a straggler?
Awesome! Congrats on getting a pass! I just noticed you are not an actual numbered member of OB yet, I'm not sure if that will be a problem, but you might consider just becoming a numbered member quick before heading on this adventure just to cover your bases. Membership is very affordable, starts at just a one-time emblem cost of about $25 all membership packages are listed here:
https://store.overlandbound.com/collections/frontpage

You very likely won't receive your emblem before the rally, but if I recall you should at least get your club member number assigned the same day you officially join.

Reactions: Fuegonaz