Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

As soon as the snow starts falling in the hills just about every FS road can turn into a adventures . Just go PREPARED even if it's a quick day trip take overnight supplies , fire making gear , recovery gear and let at least 2 people know where your heading and when you should be back .
Really want to do at least some trips this winter and am thinking about Day trips on the logging roads in Tillamook Forest. I did them this summer with no issues on my stock tires (ATs)

But mud I’m sure is going to be a reality on these roads in the winter (along with snow). So do you think ATs are sufficient, or would I need MTs to do these day trips? Thanks.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

for the most part a diecent AT will work on muddy roads and most all the time better in snow and ice ... untill the mud gets deep thats when you need that clawing and self evacuation ability of a MT tire . I've ran AT tires on almost every rig I've owned and will in the future aside from my project jeep. a AT 37-40" tires are a waste lol. There are a lot of hybrid AT/MT tires on the market that will give you a little bit of both worlds ive tried a couple and have been impressed with their performance and limeted road noise .IMG_20160315_075553.jpg

bigalpdx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portland, OR
First Name
BigAl
Last Name
PDX
Member #

This weekend we decided to check out our favorite OHV area, La Dee Flats.

The road up the trail was clean, in contrast to last week when the last park was icy and a few vehicles were blocking the entrance.

We deflated down to around 14, disconnected the front sway bar and headed down trail #800.

This trail and the obstacles were quite different this time. With a layer of snow covering most of the rocks and areas we know.

The water puddles were not frozen and about the same deep as usual. My little one, Jazmin was a trooper, running with my iPhone to film water passes.

We finished the trail 800 and connected to trail 802. Went thru the deeper pools at the beginning of the trail from the main road. We flew the drone a bit on the far end of 802.

After a much needed break, we decided to explore the road toward the quarry, but to leave La Dee by taking the back roads, less transited. To our surprise the roads at that height were covered with about 15" of snow. We chained up going up hill, we probably didn't need to, but it was getting late and I didn't want to get stuck at dark. A side note, these Pro Comp AT tires are great on road, some trails, but this is the third time I'm getting either stuck or feel loosing tons of traction on snow. So I wouldn't recommend these tires for snow, they seem to pack with snow and won't clear the groves after that.

The whole loop took us about 3 hours, the jeep handled every obstacle perfectly, we had some slides out of the main tracks on the road, but other than that was pretty smooth. The heigh of our jeep was perfect and didn't have any issues.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Last weekend we visited Hideaway lake View attachment 57844 about 40 miles east from Estacada on Hwy 224. Here is LINK to the location.
View attachment 57843
We spend a couple days over there for Memorial Day. Awesome place, with tons of trails to explore with our Jeep. We used our home made trailer to camp out. It all worked well and my daughter had a blast.

View attachment 57828
The campground is pretty basic, but the restrooms were clean and the space between camps was big. There are probably about 12 zones to camp. The access to the lake is very easy, walking distance from any of the spots.
View attachment 57829 View attachment 57827 View attachment 57826 View attachment 57832 View attachment 57831 View attachment 57841
We used it before it was officially opened this year, so it was free for us, but we had to do a bit of clean up, since the park rangers were not done cleaning yet for branches and such.
View attachment 57845 View attachment 57846
There are also plenty of little other lakes to explore. Here is a video of the trip.
View attachment 57847
Would love to camp there.