Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That's pretty broad. What kind of trip? What type of activity do you want to do or like? Where are you coming from & what's your basic route? Also, very important up here-what season/month are you coming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Harris

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Saint helens Oregon
Member #

Coming from Portland, Oregon love the outdoors. And would be completely camping out of my rig and 4-7 days would be ideal. And the trip would be here pretty soon probably in the month of September. Open to anything, love just cruising and four wheelin !

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Capn

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Palo Cedro, CA, USA for now
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stevenson
Member #

Check out the Oregon Back Country Discovery Routes, should be what you are looking for. Don't know which parts are closed because of fires though.

Reactions: Kyle Harris

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

Check out the Oregon Back Country Discovery Routes, should be what you are looking for. Don't know which parts are closed because of fires though.
I would think Most of route 3 is a no go since most of the fires are along the cascade range. Route 5 is likely fine most of the way

Schnell_958

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Slutsky
Member #

Will do Thanks for the help !

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You could possibly do the Cascade Discovery Route which runs from Hood River / Parkdale down to Detroit lake...

http://www.cascadediscoveryroute.org/

Edit: Fires burning around Detroit Lake / Breitenbush may make this one tough too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Unfortunately, you have hit the fire season nail on the head. We awoke in Seattle today to a "snow" of ash covering everything. There are currently 3 big fires in the WA Cascades: One on the backside of Mt. Rainier, one in the Cle Elum/Salmon La Sac area & one around Lake Chelan/Leavenworth. That covers a lot of good regional trails. I think you could still find some stuff around Naches/S of I-90 & near the Canadian Border. There are some great roads for exploring between Mt. Adams & Mt. St. Helens. The main forest road is paved but it's a lot of single lane winding through the woods & the winds are currently pushing the smoke to the NW which should leave this area relatively clear. A route up the backside of Helens would take you by Ape Cave & up to Spirit Lake. I believe Adams Fork Campground is in that area & it's one of Bigfoot Overland's favorite places.

Another WA area is the Olympic Peninsula. A loop around that is always interesting though I'm not sure there's a lot of 4x4 accessible trails.

Alternatively, OR really has a better forest roads network though our may want to save Tillamook SF for when you have less time(. http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/TillamookOHVGuide2014.pdf). Make sure you meet OR's backcountry vehicle requirements for a shovel with 26" handle & either a certain quantity of water or a certain size fire extinguisher-I expect they are being pretty picky about that right now.

The area around Bend is nice for desert travel but probably pretty hot right now. There are some fun lava tubes to explore out that way. Further afield is Steen's Mtn & that region.

Here is a link with some classic NW trails (it has an OR page too)
http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm
& another
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/WA

Finally there are Backroads Discovery Routes in both WA & OR. JDunk has some nice YouTubes on what they are like. Here's a link for WA
Www.ridebdr.com/WABDR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle Harris