Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I've been looking for gpx files for the Oregon Trail in order to follow it, driving on it where possible on public lands. The NPS had a link for a file, I downloaded the file, but when I tried to upload it into my Gaia database, Gaia said the file had no content. Does anyone have a source for gpx data or a method to create it?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

ifellonscissors

Rank II

Contributor III

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Fish
Member #

I can't really answer your question but the trip sounds awesome. I found a couple of YouTube vids about following the routes settlers took or the Pony Express. I love history and these are trips that would be epic!

Reactions: Ken M and terryg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've been looking for gpx files for the Oregon Trail in order to follow it, driving on it where possible on public lands. The NPS had a link for a file, I downloaded the file, but when I tried to upload it into my Gaia database, Gaia said the file had no content. Does anyone have a source for gpx data or a method to create it?

Thanks!
Most of the OT is private land and/or federally protected.

Reactions: terryg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you go to YT and search "Oregon Trail" you'll find a series (5 or 6) that is about 4 years old. Covers it very nicely.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Madcratebuilder, I'm planning an Oregon Trail trip near the house here in WY and some Pony Express station stops this fall when the Sweetwater River area cools down. You mentioned ... YT in above post. I'm kind of naive. What does YT mean? And where do I go to find this info. Appreciate your help. Mark at Trout Bumming.com

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Madcratebuilder, I'm planning an Oregon Trail trip near the house here in WY and some Pony Express station stops this fall when the Sweetwater River area cools down. You mentioned ... YT in above post. I'm kind of naive. What does YT mean? And where do I go to find this info. Appreciate your help. Mark at Trout Bumming.com
YouTube