Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

As some of you may know, I am doing around 1,000 miles of the ORBDR this summer.

I'm a bit confused on the different permits and passes that are required.

It looks like I need to get in contact with the fire authority of every county I'm going to be camping in to get a permit?

When do I actually need to get a Class II OHV permit?

Are there any passes other than the NW Forest pass that I need?

Every county and city doing it's own thing is complicating this venture greatly.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
I wasnt aware you need any permits at all. I cant speak for all of the OBDR but most/all of the route 4 to route 5 was all in the national forests (ochoco, malhuer, etc...). I dont know if any of the OBDR passes through oregon OHV areas but I have never been on any of it that does. The NW Forest pass is fine if you are going to the areas that require it, but if your just displacement camping along the way you wont need it. (although if you visit some of the lakes along the way then you might need it). Never heard of getting ahold of the fire authority. As long as your vehicles is road legal and your on a open NF road your good. Of course there are strict fire restrictons so if your not in a campground your fire either has to be contained or no fire at all at times.
What time of year are you doing this? We (Central Oregon Landcruisers) will be trying to hit route 4 & 5 as early as we can. We did it in early May last year and it was amazing. We had to clear dead fall the whole way so it was slow going and we eventually got stopped because of too much snow but still an amazing trip. This years snowpack is significantly larger though so we will see.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

Often "contained" means it needs to be in a metal fire pit like they have in campgrounds. AKA no fires outside campgrounds. The rest of the time, you are required to have a bucket of water and a shovel with you to have fires in the back country.
There may be other ways of having a "contained" fire, like building a pit out of rocks... I need to reread the dispersed camping section in the NF website. It's a helpful resource. I think the last week of June would be a little early for the strictest fire restrictions to be in effect.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
That timing should be perfect. Should probably give you a little bit of excitement but still let you finish your route. Yeah as @raundhaus said "contained" usually means in a fire pit. Although I have seen people have contained portable fire pits that they mount to the front of the vehicle. Its not the most convenient, but not having a fire sucks. Something like this

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Shovel 8+" blade & 26+" handle
Fire Extinguisher 2.5# or 1g H2O
(OR FS Fire Rules for Vehicles)
Also, during the fire ban at the time of the Gallagher Head Lake trail ride the Forest Service was okay with propane fire pits. We ended up dispersed camping with some guys who used the $100 one from Costco as they camped nearly weekly & were savvy to the Ins & outs of fire bans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro