• HTML tutorial

Dimitriy Shames

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Florida
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders!

My girl and I are taking a trip up to Oregan next week to do the drive down the coast.

We are from South Florida and have been reading up a lot on the places we should stop and check out. We also got to rent a SUV that has a roof tent built into it so we will do it the right way [emoji106]

Any recommendations for trails we should hit? Would anyone also have some sort of an offline map we can get our hands on?

Thanks guys!

Razor Rodriguez

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Eugene, Oregon
First Name
Razor
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders!

My girl and I are taking a trip up to Oregan next week to do the drive down the coast.

We are from South Florida and have been reading up a lot on the places we should stop and check out. We also got to rent a SUV that has a roof tent built into it so we will do it the right way [emoji106]

Any recommendations for trails we should hit? Would anyone also have some sort of an offline map we can get our hands on?

Thanks guys!
If you find yourself over by Eugene (not far from the coast via Florence), I can take you up in the Coburg Hills. (If I'm not traveling for business) Nothing crazy, but damn gorgeous.

If you want snow, anything up by Bend, Willamette Forest is full of amazing routes. I recommend the Blue River area. But this is a big detour.

Otherwise Florence has sand dunes worth having fun on. Near rogue River there's tons of routes too. The entire coast is an amazing drive.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend Gaia GPS. ( App on your phone or tablet, managed via web browser) I got premium for 50 percent off from a link from another overland YouTubers Instagram. (Lifestyle Overland) -- I use it and straight Google terrain maps to counter any Gaia maps that aren't as updated. It's got it's learning curve, but it's solid.

Pictures are from the Coburg Hills.
IMG_20190112_140900.jpegOregon_Mist-d7b8d226-84a2-43f6-b2ca-614b36a00ef7.jpeg

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Definitely get a DeLorme Gazetteer for OR as well. The whole coast is great & you would have a great trip even if you were in a sedan - tons to see.

Following the Rogue River in the Siskyou Mtns is nice. Tillamook SF is nice (check out it’s visitor center). Hike down to the beach at Oswald West. If you’re at the Southern OR coast, definitely consider visiting Northern CA for Avenue of the Giants & Jebediah Smith Redwoods SF. Eureka is fun as well. Depoe Bay, Yachats, all the lighthouses, turnouts & overlooks, you can’t go wrong.

Dimitriy Shames

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Florida
Member #

Thanks for your responses guys! This is great to take in and those pictures of Coburg Hills and beautiful, that's definitely going to be a stop we have to take.

We have Monday-Friday to just get lost along the coast so might try to hit all of these places if time permits.

Also, thanks for Gaia GPS, I got a chance to play around with it, would I need to purchase one of their packages to get access to trails?

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Certainly you’re aware but just a reminder, bring clothes & footwear for cold & wet. So far it’s been a mild winter but there is a chance the OR Coast Range & Siskyous could get snow. Snow on the actual coast itself is almost unheard of.

If you’re looking to stay in one place for a bit, Vacasa is a usefull OR Coast rental site (check beachfront if that’s what you want). Some motels, like the Shilo Inn in Newport are right on the beach but still affordable. Also, OR State Parks has cabins & Yurts you can rent for reasonable prices but they’ll be cold & you need your own bedding. I just put together a little OR Coast Trip for a week for my Mom on Monday-she left yesterday. I sent her with a Thermarest, sleeping bag & Little Buddy Heater for the yurts & cabins. This is the most affordable & most available time on the coast.

Look at @CJAdventureOregon on OB, IG & YouTube for some coastal ideas.@wanderingdloth & @quicksilver.adventures are two other good central OR Coast resources (check here & IG).

You may want an OR State Park Pass &/or NW Forest Pass. If you’re flying in to PDX, probably just head out to Astoria & work your way down the coast, head in to I-5 & zoom back up when you’re out of time.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

bring the rain gear , prepare to sample alot of local beer and wine , Don't rush so much that you can't sit and just enjoy the view. I've lived in Oregon my whole life and have only scratched the surface of places to explore along the coast . It's not really overland related but if your lady likes animals and your down around Bandon this little game park let's you pet baby bears and big game cats and other animals kinda a cool experience that doesn't take very long .

http://www.westcoastgameparksafari.com

Bam

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oregon City, OR
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Hensch
Member #

bring the rain gear , prepare to sample alot of local beer and wine , Don't rush so much that you can't sit and just enjoy the view. I've lived in Oregon my whole life and have only scratched the surface of places to explore along the coast . It's not really overland related but if your lady likes animals and your down around Bandon this little game park let's you pet baby bears and big game cats and other animals kinda a cool experience that doesn't take very long .

http://www.westcoastgameparksafari.com
There's also the Wildlife Safari in Winston. 600 acre drive-thru safari that is EPIC!

Reactions: RainGoat

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Most importantly:
The Sea Hag in Depoe Bay - best clam chowder in the world
Nana's Irish Pub in the Nye Beach District of Newport - get the meatloaf, it's frigin' amazing
Stephanie's Cafe - (across the street from Nana's) - amazing breakfasts.

Sea To Sky Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Cumberland, BC, Canada
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Mudge
Member #

Guru Maps is also a good offline map app. Used to be called Galileo. Costs a few bucks but I think it’s worth it... pretty similar to Gaia. We use both.

We’ve got an Oregon Coast trip coming up in March. A little nervous to venture too far out onto the sand though, as I don’t yet have MaxTrax or a compressor to air down.

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

Guru Maps is also a good offline map app. Used to be called Galileo. Costs a few bucks but I think it’s worth it... pretty similar to Gaia. We use both.

We’ve got an Oregon Coast trip coming up in March. A little nervous to venture too far out onto the sand though, as I don’t yet have MaxTrax or a compressor to air down.
If you get to the Coos Bay Area, let us know and we can share some of our favorite sand roads with you. If Cory is off call, we can even guide you out to the north Spit area...to the north jetty, some old WWII bunkers, etc.

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

Hey fellow overlanders!

Thanks guys!
How was your coastal trip!? I hope you enjoyed it! The coast has a lot to offer. [emoji1]

We don’t log in too often to overland bound, so we are just now seeing your post......

Cory and Julie

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Do you or anyone know of spots on the ocean shore where we would be allowed to camp with our RTT?
The closest you can get is the campgrounds near the ocean shores. :-( No camping allowed on Oregon beaches.

Probably your best bet is to check out the dispersed camping at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. We haven't stayed there yet, but it's on our list!

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Close would be fine, we don't want to to be terribly close with the tides and what not but it we can walk to it, or see it and hear it that would be amazing.

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

Close would be fine, we don't want to to be terribly close with the tides and what not but it we can walk to it, or see it and hear it that would be amazing.
There’s actually at least one area you can, it’s a 14 day limit. It’s our favorite area to explore....we actually just took our friend there recently to camp with his trailer/RTT (see the photo), as he had on his bucket list to camp next to the ocean. [emoji1]

IMG_0573.JPG

Here’s another area where we plan to camp soon, just so far have done day outings. This photo was actually last night. This area you have to travel sand roads to get to them or possibly bay roads, so your vehicle has to be capable.

IMG_4369.JPG

PM us! [emoji1]

-Cory and Julie