Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Doing a 3 vehicle trip early June through the Oregon BDR route. Starting in Washington and ending at the coast.

Anyone have any suggestions for campsites and must sees along the way?

We bought the official maps already and are planning out the sections now. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G892A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 94Cruiser

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

What routes are you doing? We have done route 6 and 2. Loved them both. Along route 2, definitely check out Walker Mountain (it’s on the map). It’s really cool at the top. Along route 6, definitely do a side trip to the Bohemia mine area. I can’t remember if it’s on the printed map or not. We have 2 pretty detailed YouTube videos on both these routes. If you want the links I can share them.

We are doing route 4 and 5-2 in July plus route 6 again. Except this time we are staying a night in the Musick Guard Station at the Bohemia are. Can’t wait!

If you can, share some photos after your trip we’d love to hear about it!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: FJTim

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

What routes are you doing? We have done route 6 and 2. Loved them both. Along route 2, definitely check out Walker Mountain (it’s on the map). It’s really cool at the top. Along route 6, definitely do a side trip to the Bohemia mine area. I can’t remember if it’s on the printed map or not. We have 2 pretty detailed YouTube videos on both these routes. If you want the links I can share them.

We are doing route 4 and 5-2 in July plus route 6 again. Except this time we are staying a night in the Musick Guard Station at the Bohemia are. Can’t wait!

If you can, share some photos after your trip we’d love to hear about it!

We may do a reverse route back to Washington. If we so that then, Route 6, north on 3 to 4, then 5.3 and 5.4.

Yeah I would love to see the videos if you have the link! And I can definitely share some photos and route conditions before your trip.

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

We may do a reverse route back to Washington. If we so that then, Route 6, north on 3 to 4, then 5.3 and 5.4.

Yeah I would love to see the videos if you have the link! And I can definitely share some photos and route conditions before your trip.

That sounds awesome! Yes I’ll definitely be curious about route 4. Thanks!

Route 6 -

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

The route should be fine in June. By then any downed trees from the winter should be removed. I hope you enjoy route 6 as much as we did! Do you have both the paper map and gps route? We found having both was very helpful......

-Julie
Loved your guys video. And yup! We have the paper maps and loaded all gps points Into gaia. Plus a couple other backups through out the vehicles. From everything I've seen it looks easy to get disoriented out there lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using OB Talk mobile app

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

I ran #6 a couple of weeks ago from the Loon Lake area to Coos Bay. It was fine. Mapped it on GAIA which was perfect. And yes in the Coast Range it is a maze of roads (BLM, NFS, state forest and private) - I've been lost many a time, dodging log trucks during the week and ATV's on the weekends. On the eastern portion of 6 you may want to stop at the Oakridge NF station. They're great at telling you what's up in the area. There were some fires last summer in the area and I ran into snow yet in mid June last year. The "toughest" portion of 6 is from Summit Lake (best kayak lake in OR) to Crescent Lake. Haven't done 3. I liked 4, but had to divert around fires 2 summers ago. Also have done parts of 5.3 and 5.4. Have a great time!

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

I ran #6 a couple of weeks ago from the Loon Lake area to Coos Bay. It was fine. Mapped it on GAIA which was perfect. And yes in the Coast Range it is a maze of roads (BLM, NFS, state forest and private) - I've been lost many a time, dodging log trucks during the week and ATV's on the weekends. On the eastern portion of 6 you may want to stop at the Oakridge NF station. They're great at telling you what's up in the area. There were some fires last summer in the area and I ran into snow yet in mid June last year. The "toughest" portion of 6 is from Summit Lake (best kayak lake in OR) to Crescent Lake. Haven't done 3. I liked 4, but had to divert around fires 2 summers ago. Also have done parts of 5.3 and 5.4. Have a great time!
Awesome thank you! Yeah I've got all the routes input into Gaia which should be a huge help. We planned this about 8 months ago so we could prep. Hopefully we chose the right week in between fires and snow.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Should be the perfect time. Wildflowers will be abundant in some of the areas And probably no mosquitos. Now you got me wanting do another route (:.

BTW - outside of log trucks, during the week you will literally see no one on most of these routes.

Last edited:

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Everything is going well so far. Day 2 was a very long hard day.

As a heads up to anyone reading this thread. The middle of section 6 to lapine or lapine heading west, is blocked by a landslide.

We cleared a lot of debris, made it over barriers and found 4 hours in there was no more trail. Had to turn around and head up 21 to oakridge. Cut our miles down a ton and got into bend at 10pm.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Thanks FJTim for the update. I'm doing a modified rt 3 next week starting at and going down 21 from Oakridge to the Summit Lake area and then south on 2154 and 700. I'll be sure to check in at the Oakridge NFS station prior. That area always seems to get winds and thus fallen trees plus there were fires in the area last summer. Good luck on the rest of the journey.

FJTim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Everett, WA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Matthews
Member #

Thanks FJTim for the update. I'm doing a modified rt 3 next week starting at and going down 21 from Oakridge to the Summit Lake area and then south on 2154 and 700. I'll be sure to check in at the Oakridge NFS station prior. That area always seems to get winds and thus fallen trees plus there were fires in the area last summer. Good luck on the rest of the journey.
No problem. Our entire trip has been basically route clearance.

43deg 33' .37" N 122deg 16' 39.1"W

Those are the coordinates of the landslide.

Reactions: OrTrek

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

Hi, how was your trip and which route did you end up taking? We are going up July 4th - July 8th. Any info would be much appreciated.

Doing a 3 vehicle trip early June through the Oregon BDR route. Starting in Washington and ending at the coast.

Anyone have any suggestions for campsites and must sees along the way?

We bought the official maps already and are planning out the sections now. Thank you!