Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Myles
Last Name
Sailer
Hey everyone I am sure this has been asked before but what is the optimal lift height for a TJ. I got an 03 Rubicon earlier this and the suspension is getting worn and I am looking to replace it.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

No shade, but theres no one size fits all approach to lifts. Especially on something like a TJ. You'd be best served spending a couple hours (or more) looking through vehicle build threads. Find a look you like and adjust to fit your needs and budget. Lots of good write-ups and photos here and elsewhere as TJs are a very plentiful bunch.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The better question is what are your needs and budget. Asking what suspension to buy is like asking what to eat for breakfast , we don’t know what you like .

Reactions: KonzaLander

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Years ago, I’ll admit, I was the TJ go to guy in our area. After several Jeeps and a lot of experimenting with different suspensions, I came upon the realization that my last Jeep, an 04 Rubicon could and did, traverse just about any trail I chose to travel with a very mild 2” suspension lift and 33” tires. My choice of suspensions was the Old Man Emu kit, made by ARB. Because we would load up, ( overload actually ) and drag a trailer across country I installed the “ heavy “ springs, front and rear. Which served us well for over 100,000 miles, until I sold the Jeep. I don’t work for ARB, however, when a product impresses me, I never hesitate to pass on my opinion about that product. The quality is top shelf for a very reasonable price. I’m running the same suspension now on my Landcruiser and just recently replaced the shocks after over 80,000 miles on the first set. Good luck !

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

It is personal choice of what you plan to do with your TJ. I've had my Sport for 19 years and have put on and taken off more crap than I can remember. Early on it was more about cool than capability. Now my TJ runs a 1" lift, down from 3", thinner tires, and a much beefier suspension. Perfect for what do. Several years back I really started paying attention to Aussie overlanding and at least for me, their style works.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It is personal choice of what you plan to do with your TJ. I've had my Sport for 19 years and have put on and taken off more crap than I can remember. Early on it was more about cool than capability. Now my TJ runs a 1" lift, down from 3", thinner tires, and a much beefier suspension. Perfect for what do. Several years back I really started paying attention to Aussie overlanding and at least for me, their style works.
Absolutely a personal choice, but it seems you have experience very similar to mine and important that we pass on our miserable failures as well as our good decisions about how to fit our vehicles.. the internet/these forums are a goldmine of good advice for anyone willing to use it. If the OP is into heavy duty rock crawling, then our advice isn’t worth a hill of beans, however, this website is about “overlanding” and every true overlander knows that keeping a vehicle as close as is possible to stock is always the best way to go about bolting up aftermarket suspensions.. peace out !

Reactions: Louiston

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
I run 3” springs and a 1/2” spacer up front. 265/75/16 with a 3spd auto and 3.73 gearing. I’m jumping up to 33’s and 4.10 very soon with additional BL/MML. When you start to get at 3-4” you may require other modifications to the skid, ie dropping it, sye and so on. Keep it under 3” and you should have minimal things to do in order to get it running properly. Also depending on trans\axle config will also dictate how much tire size you can add before seeing a performance loss due to gear ratio.

what do you intend to do with your TJ and what tire size do you want to run?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I'll say this. The bigger you build it, the bigger the rock get. I have gone through 7 suspension combinations and 4 sizes of tires, and for me I think I am at where I want to to be but it needs some fine tuning. I run 37s and a 6" custom long arm ( upper triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link front) have swapped in stronger axles, bigger brakes, high steer, changed the angle of the rear springs and added speed bumps..... bust sometimes I wish it was back on 31s. but then I remember the abuse I put it through and realize it wouldn't make it out to my favorite spots that way. Have a good look at where you plan to take it most and build for that terrain. If it doesn't need anything, send it as is and enjoy.

Reactions: VI Overlander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

theres no one size fits all approach to lifts.
This ^^^^ but the best, most reliable height is the stock height.

Height has nothing to do with the quality of a lift.

A 2" budget boost is garbage compared to a 2" spring lift but it costs a lot less since it uses a bunch of stock components. Some 4" lifts give you a few bits and pieces to allow you to fit longer springs and shocks. Others give you a complete new suspension.

Before knowing what the optimal lift height is you need to decide on tires and gearing plus what are you doing with it. No point in doing a 3" lift if you want to run 37s. A Rubi with 4.10s might not be a good gear to run 37s either.

Lift the suspension, lift the body, lift both, do neither and do a HighLine or do a HighLine with ???

On my Rubi I've done a 4" lift and 35s, a 2" budget boost with a HiglLine and 33s, completely stock with the HighLine and 33s. Now I am back to a fully stock suspension with the HighLine and 31" Pizza Cutters.

The Wrangler is todays version of 1960s Hot Rodding. You can do anything man. The joy is doing yer own thing.....several times.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Honestly, having done all that I'm happier where I am today with a completely stock suspension.
And tiny tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trail_pilot

Northwest Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Myles
Last Name
Sailer
Thanks everyone for the help full comments, I'm planning to run 33x12.5 tires and depending on how things go i plan on overlanding in Washington State/ Oregon. Possibly into Montana and Idaho depending on where my career path takes me. After reading what everyone has said and doing a little more research i think i am going to stick with a 2-2.5 inch lift since most of my miles will be highway. I'll probably stick with KO2's after i lift my Jeep.

Stomper_TJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Larson
Member #

I know I am a little late to this party, but had to give my $.02 .... I went huge for a while, and spent more money reverting. Think about what you want to do, and where you want to go. If this is your daily driver think of how that affects your commute as well. Lots of people get huge lifts and tires and end up selling once they realize daily driving it sucks after all that. FYI, mine has 2.5” lift and yesterday I finished trimming and making room to stuff 37” tires under it. It was more metal work, than lift, but I want a low center of gravity, but high clearance. Thats what fits my need/want bucket. I also don’t use my Jeep as a daily driver....

Just another point of view for you.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Optimal would be the stock height the vehicle was engineered with from the factory. You already have a Rubicon. Arguably one of the most off road ready consumer vehicles to ever roll off an assembly line and far more capable in stock form than people give them credit for.

If it was me I'd go with the OME 2 inch lift. I avoided buying expensive stuff for a long time and recently went to OME shocks (stock height Jeep) and was blown away at the ride quality.

• Love
Reactions: Billiebob and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Optimal would be the stock height the vehicle was engineered with from the factory. You already have a Rubicon. Arguably one of the most off road ready consumer vehicles to ever roll off an assembly line and far more capable in stock form than people give them credit for.

If it was me I'd go with the OME 2 inch lift. I avoided buying expensive stuff for a long time and recently went to OME shocks (stock height Jeep) and was blown away at the ride quality.
Well said, many/most newbies haven’t a clue the capability of the TJ Rubicon. I did exactly as you did and never once felt any inclination to turn around because of any trail.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you define optimal lift as reliable and cost effective, use a 2" spring lift. If cost is no object and you want more lift expect things to break until you rebuild the entire driveline. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Jeep Chrysler spent a lot of money on research and development to find the optimal ride height for capability and reliability. After market suppliers spend most of their budget on advertizing and marketing. There are exceptions like Savvy, Currie, AEV but most just copy what everyone else is doing.

20 years ago my YJ was the same as your TJ, a tired suspension with flat springs. New Jeep leafs were $1100. A Rubicon Express 2" lift with shocks was $800. I did the lift. Pretty sure you will be in the same boat with a 17 year old TJ.

I too am thinking about new springs for my '05 Rubi but I want the stock ride height this time. I'm also thinking about Firestone Air Bags since empty I ride level, I just need to correct for a 200# tongue weight.

There is another thread about springs and capacity etc with some recommendations on progressive rate springs.

Last edited:

Cero

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Westmoreland, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rohweder
Member #

I went from a 3in lift on 33s to a 6in long arm on 35s and idk if it's worth it yet. I've had to pretty much change everything to make it reliable and road worthy because I dont want it be a trailer queen. My end goal is a rig i can drive 200miles and camp for the weekend or take it to a offroad park like windrock with the harder trails. IMG_20200620_161710_288.jpg