San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have used Yellow top in my truck for about a year and half. Had all kind of equipment connected to emergency lights, sirens, radios, computers and chargers for lots of things. Never had any issues with them.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I put my blue top (yellow top with 2 extra posts) in July of 2012. No issues and no indication that it's having any problems now.

Reactions: Travis Barker

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I ran a yellow top in my jeep for 5 yrs with no issues even making it through the night with the lights on a few times and I will be putting one in the fj when it's needed

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Zombie_Hunter_Adventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

California, USA
First Name
Cipriano
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

I had a diehard platinum but it died quick. Now I'm running a yellow top and a red top. The yellow top powers my accessories(lights, fridge) and is charged by a 100 solar panel and the truck. My red top is just for starting the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
I know old thread but I was thinking of hooking up my optima yellow top to a solar charger/mppt. How did your yellow top hood up?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I know old thread but I was thinking of hooking up my optima yellow top to a solar charger/mppt. How did your yellow top hood up?
I just saw this thread today for the first time and am able to answer your question. I'm using an Odyssey battery for the starter/vehicle side of things. I'm using the yellow top Optima as a house battery. I have a 100 watt and a 125 watt panels. When I arrive at camp I separate the two batteries with a manual switch. I gave Optima the chance for me to become a customer, in spite of tons of negative reviews. As I saw it, if I ran the company and sales were plummeting because of very poor manufacturing/quality control I would do something about that. I believe that Optima has done something about that, since moving production to Mexico. I've been using the yellow top now for 3 years and it continues to top off at 12.7 volts, which is about 90% of capacity, using the sun or the smart charger in the barn. Interestingly enough the Odyssey cracks 12.8 volts on the charger in the barn. The yellow top will run the fridge all night long and then some before recharging each day, rarely if ever dropping below 12.4. The alternator in the vehicle is not capable of giving these or any batteries a full charge, 80% at best. It is important to keep any AGM battery topped off. I keep mine tethered to a float charger while it sits in the barn anxiously awaiting its next adventure tour. If yours is a daily driver, you should hook em up to a smart charger at the minimum, once a month to keep em topped off. Your actually exercising the battery to its full potential and like exercise if ya don't use it, ya lose it. Hope this helped. Peace out !!