AF Hooligan

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
K
I'm starting to research my next vehicle purchase. It will be doing double duty as my daily driver and eventually my overlander
Would I be better served by getting a newer a newer vehicle something like a 4door jeep or Toyota FJ or something like a FJ60/FJ80 landcruiser. Or a wild card... something right hand drive?

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Best bet is to test drive as many as you can and make your decision following it.

I test drove newer vehicles, 4runner, tacoma, and wrangler, and did some research online for various things and then made a purchase a few weeks after that.

Jeep wrangler will offroad better, but FJ is probably better on road. I havent test drive the FJ before, so I cant say how much space is available for cargo and passengers.
4runner has a lot of storage space I remember.

Ultimately I got the jeep because it felt better for me, plus I can take the doors and tops off.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
As much as I am a Jeep guy, most people hate how they drive on a day to day basis. Unless you are able to put up with it being a loud rough riding vehicle, look at other options. I drive mine most of the summer with no top or doors... partially because i have leaned my soft top into 1 too many trees and it doesn't quite sit right, and I run soft doors that flap in the wind like the Jeep is trying to fly if they see highway speed. My wife hates it, I love it.

AF Hooligan

Rank 0

Contributor I

Minnesota, USA
First Name
Zak
Last Name
K
Speaking of test drive.... Anyone in Minneapolis/St Paul area got a FJ60 I can drive??

Most of my daily drive is highway... which means nothing in rush hour

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I got the hard top because I have been in a soft top on the freeway at 80, was fairly loud.

Plus I like the security of the hardtop, have heard about many soft tops being ripped and burglarized.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I got the hard top because I have been in a soft top on the freeway at 80, was fairly loud.

Plus I like the security of the hardtop, have heard about many soft tops being ripped and burglarized.
the only reason I run the soft top/no top is because I tend to get myself into situations sometimes and a soft top on an LJ is easier to replace than the hard top. I run the hard top in the winter because I don't really take in anywhere tight where there is a risk of damaging it. I tend to run with the "rock crawler" or even " rock bouncer" crowds. a lot of guys that actually do our Canadian ultra4 type stuff in the TMR race series and rigs that don't have much body left on the,. Its why i got the Jeep but I also keep it full bodied and street legal...ish so that I can still take it out loaded up camping for a weekend or week.
IMG_1333 (1).JPG

Reactions: Outdoordog

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The first real question is: what is your budget? The second is what does "daily driving" mean for you? DD is different for many people. Some people commute 100+ miles daily, some drive a mile or two to work. Do you have kids? Pets? What's your idea of Overlanding? Mild forest service roads, or more technical trails and some rock crawling? What climate do you live in? Etc. Etc. Etc.

You really have to define those things first, then I'm sure we'll all have thoughts for you. Admittedly, most of us like to recommend what we have and like ourselves... so take any advice with a grain of salt (especially mine... your local WJ-pusher).

-TJ

PS- one last thought: if your budget allows an economical DD + a dedicated Overlander then that is always the way to go, IMHO. You can leave the Overlander more ready to go at the drop of a hat, the Overlander doesn't have to be AS good on fuel, AS nice on the road, etc. And if you break the Overlander on a trip you're not SOL for getting to work the next Monday.

Last edited: