Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Found this 05 F150 super cab on Facebook market place. Haven’t gone and seen it yet. In the pictures it looks like it’s damaged on the drivers side. Needs seat repair on the drivers side. Obviously new tires. If I made a offer what would be a good price. Last used vehicle I bought needed work shortly after I bought it which was a 05 F150 super cab. I was thinking 3000 cash or is that a insult?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Found this 05 F150 super cab on Facebook market place. Haven’t gone and seen it yet. In the pictures it looks like it’s damaged on the drivers side. Needs seat repair on the drivers side. Obviously new tires. If I made a offer what would be a good price. Last used vehicle I bought needed work shortly after I bought it which was a 05 F150 super cab. I was thinking 3000 cash or is that a insult?

I doubt you will get it for that little. I would at least offer wholesale blue book for it. If he is a dealer he may take it. I don't see any damage anywhere, just usage. Black shows every flaw.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Thank you, I should have checked the blue book value on it.
Looks like the blue book value is 6000. Going to have to think about it. I paid more for my 05 Ford with less miles and I had to put a lot of money into it within a month of buying it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks like the blue book value is 6000. Going to have to think about it. I paid more for my 05 Ford with less miles and I had to put a lot of money into it within a month of buying it.
Was that wholesale and was it s high mileage price ? Buying used from anyone other than a truck you know is always tricky. I don't worry as much about a high mileage truck as much as I do about a lower millage truck because the previous owner may have already made a bunch of repairs already. If you can find out the previous owner, give him a call. If the old plates are still on the car you can check with the police department to find out who owned it.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

If I was you I'd offer 3k at the most. The first gen 3v engines were terrible; many people see them as one of worst modern engines, up there with the northstar v8 and that Mercedes engine that routinely eats heads gaskets. A money pit at best. Between broken spark plugs, broken exhaust manifold bolts and the vct issues you'd be lucky not to sink another $1k in repairs/tools after purchase. That's just my opinion though.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

If I was you I'd offer 3k at the most. The first gen 3v engines were terrible; many people see them as one of worst modern engines, up there with the northstar v8 and that Mercedes engine that routinely eats heads gaskets. A money pit at best. Between broken spark plugs, broken exhaust manifold bolts and the vct issues you'd be lucky not to sink another $1k in repairs/tools after purchase. That's just my opinion though.
My last truck had the 4.6 engine and had very little trouble with that engine. I heard the 5.4 is a pain to work on. My old truck had a lot of electrical issues and ate up 4 wheel drive actuators. First week I had it the exhaust fell off, needed a new alternator and starter.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My last truck had the 4.6 engine and had very little trouble with that engine. I heard the 5.4 is a pain to work on. My old truck had a lot of electrical issues and ate up 4 wheel drive actuators. First week I had it the exhaust fell off, needed a new alternator and starter.
The 4.6 is a standby modular engine built by ford since 1990. There were two versions of intake manifolds put on the same engine. The plastic one was domestic 4.6 and the aluminum intake was put on taxis and police cars. The plastic intake manifold would be good for only 100,000 miles while the aluminum is indestructible. Both versions of the 4.6 engines were good for 350,000 if properly maintained. I don't see how anyone could go wrong with that engine. The 5.4 I believe is just a longer stroked version of the 4.6 and is supposed to be superior. It sounds to me that your other truck was either a factory lemon or very abused vehicle. I wouldn't listen to wives tales about either engine, I would go talk to s ford mechanic and ask him about his experiences with Ford's stand by engine combination, then take his advise. Personally I wouldn't have any other engine in my truck than the 300 ci inline six cylinder engine. If my LRD2 engine ever goes I will replace it with that fuel injected model. That engine is a beast. I have raced that engine against cars with twice the c.i. displacement and embarrassed the hell out of the big V8's of all makes and models.
Lanlubber

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

The 4.6 is a standby modular engine built by ford since 1990. There were two versions of intake manifolds put on the same engine. The plastic one was domestic 4.6 and the aluminum intake was put on taxis and police cars. The plastic intake manifold would be good for only 100,000 miles while the aluminum is indestructible. Both versions of the 4.6 engines were good for 350,000 if properly maintained. I don't see how anyone could go wrong with that engine. The 5.4 I believe is just a longer stroked version of the 4.6 and is supposed to be superior. It sounds to me that your other truck was either a factory lemon or very abused vehicle. I wouldn't listen to wives tales about either engine, I would go talk to s ford mechanic and ask him about his experiences with Ford's stand by engine combination, then take his advise. Personally I wouldn't have any other engine in my truck than the 300 ci inline six cylinder engine. If my LRD2 engine ever goes I will replace it with that fuel injected model. That engine is a beast. I have raced that engine against cars with twice the c.i. displacement and embarrassed the hell out of the big V8's of all makes and models.
Lanlubber
It was a strong engine, I put well over a 100,000 miles on the truck. Everything else was falling apart on it. I will ask a ford mechanic their thoughts on the engine.

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

The 4.6, though nearly the same same motor minus stroke, didn't have the issues inherent in the 5.4 3v. The spark plug issue was a failed attempt to remedy the blown out spark plugs in the 5.4 2v, would cause the plug itself to snap off just above the threads. The exhaust manifold issue is caused by low quality uncoated bolts that will rust in half flush with the head. Most failures occur on the front passenger manifold where you can see the studs through the wheel well. The vct issue was caused by running the wrong viscosity oil or not keeping the oil clean enough and the vct solenoids fail. These are all VERY common 5.4 3v (04-08) issues and are all a pain to repair.
If you are looking at one the exhaust issue can be spotted by a louder than usual valve train tick sound that will change when pressure is put on the manifold. The vct usually rears its head above 3k rpm with lack of passing power, or if bad enough the truck just runs like crap. Unfortunately the spark plug issue is only found when changing plugs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The 4.6, though nearly the same same motor minus stroke, didn't have the issues inherent in the 5.4 3v. The spark plug issue was a failed attempt to remedy the blown out spark plugs in the 5.4 2v, would cause the plug itself to snap off just above the threads. The exhaust manifold issue is caused by low quality uncoated bolts that will rust in half flush with the head. Most failures occur on the front passenger manifold where you can see the studs through the wheel well. The vct issue was caused by running the wrong viscosity oil or not keeping the oil clean enough and the vct solenoids fail. These are all VERY common 5.4 3v (04-08) issues and are all a pain to repair.
If you are looking at one the exhaust issue can be spotted by a louder than usual valve train tick sound that will change when pressure is put on the manifold. The vct usually rears its head above 3k rpm with lack of passing power, or if bad enough the truck just runs like crap. Unfortunately the spark plug issue is only found when changing plugs.
Good info Sir. I hate removing broken off bolts of any kind. A friend of mine had a large motor home with a 460 ci Ford engine. He knew it had an exhaust leak when he bought it and just figured it an easy gasket fix. He knew I do work on my own car, he was 76 years old, and asked me if I would fix it. I quickly found out it was a broken exhaust bold flush with the manifold. There was no way to get to that bolt to drill it out and use an easy out with the tools I had and working from the underside. He took it to 3-4 more mechanics and they told him they couldn't help either. He finally had to take the motor home to a Ford dealership. They had to pull the engine to fix it

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

I am currently in the middle of doing a high volume oil pump, timing chains and tensioners on my 3v.... I made an educated risk when purchasing this truck. Has some chain slap at startup and then gets quiet with no VCT noise - typical of failed chain tensioner seals. I got a good price on it and was willing to do the work so I jumped on it.

Like previous posters have mentioned, this engine barely puts out adequate oil psi when stock. Add a lighter weight viscosity oil for emissions, blown tensioner seals, and 100k miles of general wear the valvetrain and VCT systems begin to be starved of oil. From there the expensive phasers fail, roller rockers can seize, etc... If you catch it early enough and throw redesigned cast iron tensioners and a high flow high volume pump in and switch to 5w30, the engine will be essentially "bulletproofed". (Besides plugs and exhaust manifold bolts lol)

After I button her up I don't expect to do much for another 150k miles. Also btw if you want to learn more from a very reliable source, search FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. He's a 3v guru and has tons of tutorials and informational videos.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I am currently in the middle of doing a high volume oil pump, timing chains and tensioners on my 3v.... I made an educated risk when purchasing this truck. Has some chain slap at startup and then gets quiet with no VCT noise - typical of failed chain tensioner seals. I got a good price on it and was willing to do the work so I jumped on it.

Like previous posters have mentioned, this engine barely puts out adequate oil psi when stock. Add a lighter weight viscosity oil for emissions, blown tensioner seals, and 100k miles of general wear the valvetrain and VCT systems begin to be starved of oil. From there the expensive phasers fail, roller rockers can seize, etc... If you catch it early enough and throw redesigned cast iron tensioners and a high flow high volume pump in and switch to 5w30, the engine will be essentially "bulletproofed". (Besides plugs and exhaust manifold bolts lol)

After I button her up I don't expect to do much for another 150k miles. Also btw if you want to learn more from a very reliable source, search FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. He's a 3v guru and has tons of tutorials and informational videos.
THANK GOD FOR UTUBE TUTORIALS HUH ?

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

Cam phasers! That's what I was thinking about with the vct. The solenoids are actually a straightforward repair if you're lucky enough to only have to change those.

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

THANK GOD FOR UTUBE TUTORIALS HUH ?
Hah no kidding. Unfortunately his timing chain tutorial is all on a 2006.... they changed a ton of routing in the engine bay in 07 as I'm finding out! I've been winging it so far. Hopefully this weekend I will be pulling valve covers and timing cover. Luckily I have 3 vehicles and can take my time on this.