Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection will host an open house and public comment session on the draft Wharton State Forest Visitor Vehicle Use Map on Wednesday, Jan. 24, from noon to 7 p.m. at the Batsto Visitor Center.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Open House: Wharton State Forest Visitor Vehicle Use Map
Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2024
12 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Batsto Visitor Center
31 Batsto Road, Hammonton​
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection will host an open house and public comment session on the draft Wharton State Forest Visitor Vehicle Use Map on Wednesday, Jan. 24, from noon to 7 p.m. at the Batsto Visitor Center.

The open house will allow stakeholders to view, ask questions and comment on the draft Wharton Visitor Vehicle Use Map, along with several other maps that aided in the development of the map. There will be no formal speaking presentation during the open house. Interested stakeholders can stop in at any time during the event. DEP staff will be on hand to answer questions and participants will have the opportunity to leave written comments at each map location.

MEETING LOCATION
The Batsto Visitor Center is located at 31 Batsto Road in Hammonton. Due to the building’s capacity limit, there may be a wait to enter the open house.

PUBLIC COMMENT
In addition to the in-person open house, those interested in reviewing and commenting on the Wharton Visitor Vehicle Use Map and associated materials will also be able to view and submit comments online. An online public comment period will be available for 45 days, from Jan. 24 until Mar. 9, for those who are unable to attend in person.

VISITOR VEHICLE USE MAP OVERVIEW
The Visitor Vehicle Use Map clearly delineates safe, legal routes through Wharton State Forest, on which a licensed driver can drive their street legal, registered and insured vehicle. Preexisting motor vehicle regulations will remain unchanged with ATVs, side-by-sides, non-street-legal enduros and other illegal off-road vehicles restricted from all areas of the forest.

DATA
Data to create the Visitor Vehicle Use Map was gathered through an extensive stakeholdering process, during which more than 1,600 people submitted surveys, noting areas of interest and routes that were important to them. Additionally, DEP data on endangered, threatened and of conservation concern plant and animal species; wetlands; historic and cultural resources; and Natural Areas and Natural Heritage Priority Sites were taken into consideration during the Visitor Vehicle Use Map’s development.

Learn more: njparksandforests.org/wharton/

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
^ That is directly from the email I got today. My friends at Tread Lightly! have been made aware, and I saw someone already posted a link to the NJ overlanding Facebook group.

I'll make an appearance sometime shortly after noon when they open, but this event will be open all evening. Let's use this tread to coordinate meeting up and chatting up some OB members while supporting our beautiful forest trails.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Reactions: TSO_NJ

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
This is tomorrow! I'm leaning towards getting there at about 230-3pm but some friends and Tread Lightly! staff will be on site all day. Come see the MAP for yourself, provide comments, and help keep Wharton open for all recreationists. Also, for those who can't attend, the MAP will be available online during the same hours 12-7pm here: NJDEP | Wharton State Forest Visiting Vehicle Use Map | New Jersey State Park Service and you will be able to provide your comments online until March 9th.

Respected Access is Open Access!
Respected Access - Tread Lightly

The Batsto Visitor Center is located at 31 Batsto Road in Hammonton.

Respect (and patience) are at the utmost importance tomorrow, we are expecting hundreds of participants to visit throughout the day and do not want to overwhelm the NJ Forest Service staff or their facilities. Please do not tailgate or loiter in the immediate parking area outside of your personal comment period. Wharton State Forest is open to everyone in legal activities and we all have the same rights to access; birdwatchers, horse-back riding, offroaders, etc. There will be some folks there voting against vehicle access and that is their right. Multiple professional organizations will be on site to educate.

Thank you!

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thank you all who came (you still have 30 more minutes!) to view and comment on the MAP. The turnout was fantastic, with the count last I checked at 330pm at over 300 - the final number will be nearly double that I'm sure. It's a long complicated process to keep our forest trails both open and the forest protected so I'm glad you came to voice your opinion. Again, check the link above to see the digital maps, and you have until March 9th to submit a response.

20240124_144226.jpg
20240124_145217.jpg
20240124_144514.jpg
20240124_144509.jpg
20240124_144433.jpg