Ontario Canada, Back roads or trails? what's your preference?

• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I know there are quite a few people here from Ontario and I am curious how many people run the trail systems vs how many enjoy exploring the many back roads to find their camp spots. I tend to enjoy a challenging trail with the reward of a nice secluded camp at the end.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@ryancarman Do you have any information for Trail_pilot?

Reactions: ryancarman

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

I know there are quite a few people here from Ontario and I am curious how many people run the trail systems vs how many enjoy exploring the many back roads to find their camp spots. I tend to enjoy a challenging trail with the reward of a nice secluded camp at the end.
Hey Trail_rated!

I have found it’s pretty common for folks to combine a bit of a combination, much like your suggesting.

What I’ve found works well is a combination of iOverlander, for actual campsites, the Gaia gps application (the premium subscription gets you digital versions of backroad mapbooks for all of Canada) and the Ontario crow land usage atlas (if you go to Ontario.ca and search for atlas it’s like the first result)

When I’m out on tour I like to temper the difficulty based on the group really. My best friend is in an outback with an RTT and stock tires. A combination that can go much further than you’d expect but it’s not without limits... So we plan accordingly. I have other buddies I wheel with and we’ll will run much harder trails because Jeep’s and Tacoma’s.

Keep an eye on the rally point pages we’ll be planning something in the spring :)

Attachments

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Hey Trail_rated!

I have found it’s pretty common for folks to combine a bit of a combination, much like your suggesting.

What I’ve found works well is a combination of iOverlander, for actual campsites, the Gaia gps application (the premium subscription gets you digital versions of backroad mapbooks for all of Canada) and the Ontario crow land usage atlas (if you go to Ontario.ca and search for atlas it’s like the first result)

When I’m out on tour I like to temper the difficulty based on the group really. My best friend is in an outback with an RTT and stock tires. A combination that can go much further than you’d expect but it’s not without limits... So we plan accordingly. I have other buddies I wheel with and we’ll will run much harder trails because Jeep’s and Tacoma’s.

Keep an eye on the rally point pages we’ll be planning something in the spring :)
I'll have to keep an eye on the those rally points! I was thinking of taking a few days off work ( as well as a weekend) to make a trip around eastern, central and north westerns Ontario. head to Kingston to visit a buddy and stop off at the Wilton cheese factory for some curds, then maybe crag lake area for a couple days, then Minden/Kawarthas to run some trails and camp around there and then up to Ardbeg area before making the run home. I did this last summer but it was very rushed and I would like to snow it down and explore a bit more. it makes for a lot of seat time but there are some great sights and awesome trails!

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

I am thinking of planning something around this route

Its pretty stock friendly I think, but I’m looking at options soon ;)

Also roaming rally is tentative for the spring (also organized by gravel travel) so dates are all up in the air right now :)

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I am thinking of planning something around this route

Its pretty stock friendly I think, but I’m looking at options soon ;)

Also roaming rally is tentative for the spring (also organized by gravel travel) so dates are all up in the air right now :)
maybe I can convince my wife to come on a stock friendly trip and I could drive the daily ( compass trailhawk) depending on route.

Attachments

Reactions: ryancarman

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
If I were to ho this route, any suggestions for sights to see or places to visit? I am assuming with trails it would be a minimum 4-5 day trip.

Attachments

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

If you're passing through Orillia on your way to Ardbeg, There is a trail up here, The Swift Rapids. It's a powerline road on Crown Land with a good set of trails, from stock lines to needing the full F/R lockers, Winch setup ETC..

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Please pardon my ignorance - what's the difference?

I've never thought in these terms; we use highways to get from A to B a fair amount, however when we have the time (which is most of the time on a "big trip") we try to get off the highways onto minor roads (secondary, tertiary, etc.). We enjoy wandering on what we call back roads, trails, tracks, and occasionally where there's nothing you could call a track, but I've assumed that these terms are essentially interchangeable. I suppose that a back road is probably one which has more traffic than a track, however please educate me.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
If you're passing through Orillia on your way to Ardbeg, There is a trail up here, The Swift Rapids. It's a powerline road on Crown Land with a good set of trails, from stock lines to needing the full F/R lockers, Winch setup ETC..
Ya I was up there years ago. Easy to get lost in there lol

Reactions: dhossk

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Please pardon my ignorance - what's the difference?

I've never thought in these terms; we use highways to get from A to B a fair amount, however when we have the time (which is most of the time on a "big trip") we try to get off the highways onto minor roads (secondary, tertiary, etc.). We enjoy wandering on what we call back roads, trails, tracks, and occasionally where there's nothing you could call a track, but I've assumed that these terms are essentially interchangeable. I suppose that a back road is probably one which has more traffic than a track, however please educate me.
I suppose it could come down to wording. Most of what I call a "trail" would not be seen on many maps. The backroads and fire access roads would be though. Maybe in my head it's more of a rating as some unmaintained roads would be rated as a 1-2 whereas trails start at a 3 for me. I tend to do more rock crawling and camp in between So I am bias that way lol

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I suppose it could come down to wording. Most of what I call a "trail" would not be seen on many maps. The backroads and fire access roads would be though. Maybe in my head it's more of a rating as some unmaintained roads would be rated as a 1-2 whereas trails start at a 3 for me. I tend to do more rock crawling and camp in between So I am bias that way lol
Thanks for the clarification. Now I need more education - there is apparently a scale for tracks/trails. Where can I find out what the numbers mean?

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Thanks for the clarification. Now I need more education - there is apparently a scale for tracks/trails. Where can I find out what the numbers mean?
The OF4WD has a map on their website that is available to paid members that lists camp spots, lookouts, and trail difficulty. As they are a central Ontario based organization they are still looking to get more trails listed for northern Ontario but they have a decent amount listed for eastern, central and some northern ish.