ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Don't forget before the fire season begins in California for 2018, you MUST have a fire permit before operating a camp stove, gas powered lantern, fire (in a designated pit or not) and any other combustible stove or appliance. Luckily, over the years, the Forest Service of CA has made it easier to obtain your Fire Permit online.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Watch a video, take a test, print or save your permit. Easy Peasy and better than a fine, fire or worse. I always print three copies of my permit; one for my vehicle, one for my hiking pack, and one for my camp stove/chuck box.

Although California allows for year round camping, Spring is coming soon and the camping/overlanding will heat up. Make sure you are ready when the hotdogs are!

M

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Thanks for the reminder. I don't live far from a station so I'll walk and say hi to them again and get one. I am always in there getting maps or info on the region. I have blackrock station and 4 other stations on my contact list in my phone. I believe safety and being informed is the key to making it back home safely.

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

Thanks for the reminder. I don't live far from a station so I'll walk and say hi to them again and get one. I am always in there getting maps or info on the region. I have blackrock station and 4 other stations on my contact list in my phone. I believe safety and being informed is the key to making it back home safely.
how much is it to get some maps from them? im in visalia. still looking at digital navigation options for the truck while camping, but its always nice to have a physical map on hand

Reactions: ArmyofMike

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Don't forget before the fire season begins in California for 2018, you MUST have a fire permit before operating a camp stove, gas powered lantern, fire (in a designated pit or not) and any other combustible stove or appliance. Luckily, over the years, the Forest Service of CA has made it easier to obtain your Fire Permit online.

Watch a video, take a test, print or save your permit. Easy Peasy and better than a fine, fire or worse. I always print three copies of my permit; one for my vehicle, one for my hiking pack, and one for my camp stove/chuck box.

Although California allows for year round camping, Spring is coming soon and the camping/overlanding will heat up. Make sure you are ready when the hotdogs are!

M
Oh Bummer....is it that time again? :sunglasses: Appreciate the reminder.

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

DuncNasty08, I get the map for about $10 but they don't carry DV maps at my station but she did give me an old map for DV that was there. On the electronics, I use a tablet and offline the maps in sections of where I will be and a paper map too. On my paper map I been highlighting roads that I traveled on and hit those roads that I haven't been on. I also use a Tom Tom that will show me what road I am on when outside of cell service areas. A dash cam for when I see Bigfoot and XM radio to sing along till then and a CB radio to brag about the sighting. I am seeing all these great photos on here and may look into a camera next. I want to try to hit hwy 120 out of Yosemite over to the 395 this summer. I seen pictures and it looks like good fishing and a good road. If any one has any information about the hwy 120 crossover to 395 I would like to know more bout it. Thanks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is an interagency permit that is good for federal and state lands in CA. The permit is also recognized by the USFS and NPS. So even though Cal Fire is administering the permit program it will still be good on any Federal Land thought the US. Check with your local forest to make sure but this has been the case in the past since lots of Forests cross state lines.

Reactions: 91B/91S

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

M
Thanks for the reminder!