One of my favorite breakfasts.. Breakfast Tacos!

• HTML tutorial

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

20200120_081456.jpg
Super easy to make with a little pre-prep.

WAYAWAY Breakfast Tacos
Serves 2 or 3 people (6 tacos)
Prep:
In an empty small plastic water bottle:
5 eggs, salt, pepper and oregano.
- the bottle will fit nicely in the corner of your cooler, it will keep for days and no worries about broken eggs. Plus, the mess is easy to clean. On my last trip, I used a bicycle squeeze water bottle (I'm not a fan of single use anything).
Bag of shredded cheese. I used the "Mexican Mix".
A few leaves of lettuce.
A little cilantro.
A medium tomato.
A few slices of bacon.
1/4 chopped red onion.
7 corn tortillas (the extra one is for the fire gods).
1 avocado, ready to eat.
Salt & pepper
Tapatio or Cholula

20200120_075947.jpg

Cube the tomato and slice the lettuce into thin slices. Chop the cilantro however you like. Smash the avocado.

Slice the bacon into 1" lengths. Place into a fry pan over medium heat. Once some of the fat has rendered, add the onions.
When the bacon is almost done and the onions are really soft, add the eggs (give the bottle a good shake first).
NOTE: if your bacon is really lean, you may need to add some olive oil or butter.

In another pan, heat your tortillas.
NOTE: My grandma taught me to heat them without removing them from the pan. That way they all stay warm.
Place one in the pan. Flip it when the side is done. Add another tortilla on top of that, leaving the first tortilla uncooked side down. Then it's just a matter of flipping and flipping to get the uncooked sides cooked, adding additional tortillas to the stack as you go. All warm, no need for a warming cloth or tortilla holder.

When the tortillas are done, lay them out on a plate. Add cheese, then the cooked egg - bacon mix.
Top with more cheese, smashed avocado, lettuce and tomatoes.

These Trader Joe's beans are good AF.
The downside is that you only have 2 burners, so you will need to heat these while the bacon and onions cook, then set it aside covered.
20200120_080249.jpg

Douse with hot sauce.. Enjoy!
- Joe

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

NOTE: My grandma taught me to heat them without removing them from the pan. That way they all stay warm.
Place one in the pan. Flip it when the side is done. Add another tortilla on top of that, leaving the first tortilla uncooked side down. Then it's just a matter of flipping and flipping to get the uncooked sides cooked, adding additional tortillas to the stack as you go. All warm, no need for a warming cloth or tortilla holder.

- Joe
THAT is a great tip, to flip and add, and is one of those things that make me think "Dang, SO simple, so straightforward, I should've seen it!"

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Solid recipe! I've made them similarly, but I've smeared the beans on the tortilla and sub'd fried potatoes for the bacon. If you choose to make breakfast burritos, the beans are something I add on the tortilla as well. Holds all the innards and adds some smoothness to the burrito without adding a sauce.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
And at this moment at my desk I'm trying to bite the screen with my eyes closed so it tastes as good as them tacos look! Great job!!!

Reactions: WAYAWAY

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

View attachment 136630

WAYAWAY Breakfast Tacos
Prep:
- the bottle will fit nicely in the corner of your cooler, it will keep for days and no worries about broken eggs. Plus, the mess is easy to clean. On my last trip, I used a bicycle squeeze water bottle (I'm not a fan of single use anything).
A few leaves of lettuce.
A little cilantro.
A medium tomato.
A few slices of bacon.
1/4 chopped red onion.
1 avocado, ready to eat.
Salt & pepper
Tapatio or Cholula

View attachment 136635

Cube the tomato and slice the lettuce into thin slices. Chop the cilantro however you like. Smash the avocado.

Slice the bacon into 1" lengths. Place into a fry pan over medium heat. Once some of the fat has rendered, add the onions.
When the bacon is almost done and the onions are really soft, add the eggs (give the bottle a good shake first).
NOTE: if your bacon is really lean, you may need to add some olive oil or butter.

When the tortillas are done, lay them out on a plate. Add cheese, then the cooked egg - bacon mix.

The downside is that you only have 2 burners, so you will need to heat these while the bacon and onions cook, then set it aside covered.
View attachment 136637

- Joe
Serves 2 or 3 people (6 tacos) ...or one hungover dude.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
View attachment 136630

WAYAWAY Breakfast Tacos
Prep:
A few leaves of lettuce.
A little cilantro.
A medium tomato.
A few slices of bacon.
1/4 chopped red onion.
1 avocado, ready to eat.
Salt & pepper
Tapatio or Cholula

View attachment 136635

View attachment 136637

- Joe
I think breakfast tacos/burritos (basically, anything you can roll in a tortilla) is the perfect food, especially when camping and/or in the woods. They're just so simple nd self contained ... no need for a lot of utensils, plates, etc. Just easy!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice! On longer trips we're always looking for a bit more unconventional breakfast. Obviously good old wakey-wakey-eggs-n-backey and things like a fried egg on a bagel with some ham 'n cheese are go-to breakfasts. But these would be a cool change in the rotation, and an alternative to the ever-present breakfast burrito. Another more "odd ball" one I like is Breakfast Fried Rice: Breakfast Fried Rice Recipe That's just a "basic" recipe, but it's one of those dishes you really make your own and what goes in it kind of depends on the left-overs you have.

-TJ

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Nice! On longer trips we're always looking for a bit more unconventional breakfast. Obviously good old wakey-wakey-eggs-n-backey and things like a fried egg on a bagel with some ham 'n cheese are go-to breakfasts. But these would be a cool change in the rotation, and an alternative to the ever-present breakfast burrito. Another more "odd ball" one I like is Breakfast Fried Rice: Breakfast Fried Rice Recipe That's just a "basic" recipe, but it's one of those dishes you really make your own and what goes in it kind of depends on the left-overs you have.

-TJ
Best tip for Fried Rice.. use leftover rice, at least 4 days old.

Reactions: TexasGMG

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Best tip for Fried Rice.. use leftover rice, at least 4 days old.
Yup, applies to any Fried Rice, not just brrrrruuuuuffffffussssss. Breakfast fried rice usually happens a day or two after we do a dinner with rice (sometimes just basic rice, chicken and veggies... sometimes teriyaki rice bowls or stuffed bell peppers or something like that).

-TJ

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Just got to work tonight and what do they have planned ... food day with tacos, carne asada and tacos al pastor! Coincidence? I think not! :sunglasses:

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I freaking love Huevos a la Mexicana with bacon, cheese, and potato for breakfast. I'll dice up the peppers and onion at home and have them in a zip-lock bag. When it's time to make I'll cook the bacon and potatos first and before they're completely done, pull the bacon to the side of the skillet and drop in the peppers and onions with the spuds. Let them cook for a bit, then add the eggs, scrambling them together.
While this is going on I have my comal heating to warm the tortillas. When the eggs are all but done I throw a couple of tortillas on the comal.
When everything is ready I load the tortillas and top with a strip of bacon and shredded cheese. Add the salsa of your choice and enjoy.
My wife likes to add sour creme to hers.