Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
The road noise doesn’t seem to exist on my Tahoe. I can’t say I’ve ever heard them. They handle awesome. Just seem to grip the road and go.
Did you stay with stock size? I heard the 255/75 can be noisier.

Lost Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
Road noise is not as bad as the set of mud tires had on before. Over all I am very pleased with the handling and feel they have on the road dry and wet/ice/snow. Have not had a chance to see how well they will perform on two track and muddy two track. Summer is coming!!
Anything is quieter than muds, I'm going between KO2s and Grapplers, leaning towards KO2 but the cost...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Currently running Achilles Desert Hawk ATs. They were great in the snow we got recently. They don't look the coolest but they seem to get the job done for daily driving. For trips away from home where I'm going to be off pavement a bunch I'll swap over to my SE wheels that have a set of Achilles Desert Hawk MTs on them. They're a little noisy but ride decently and seem to hook up well.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
the dt tread is the OLD compound.. and the older tread design.. they wear like iron. the new compound is ice and snow rated.. and wears about 100% faster.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My expieriance was different,.....aka, no significant change in mileage totals. I have run 'D' & 'E' rated BFG's AT's, and mileage was within a couple thousand on tread-life. When I bought my last set, the D's did have the snow rating (peak) on the side, whereas the 'E' did not. The only other visible difference was the extra OEM sipping the D rated tire had. I chose to go with the E for payload and trailering. Even with judicial rotation and balancing my 3/4 ton pickup's, over the years, both gas and diesel, only got between 42,000-46,000 on the tread. Never could squeeze out that 50,000, that some managed or exceeded.

Until other tire companies started offering 3 ply sidewalls, and they became more available, the BFG ruggedness was a big selling point. I remember how thick the old 10 ply, tube tires were from the 60's, and how puncture resistant they were. My dad only once speared a sidewall, and it was a direct hit. Any tire would have failed that impact. It took a pair of pliers to extract the root out of the sidewall, it was so tight.

The one thing I did not really care for was the sidewall having a circular heat check crack form as they got older. Living in the hot desert SW, this was a problem with all of them. Someone told be it was a manifistation of the rubber compound used in their construction. Not sure how other OB members in cooler temperature zones had this issue or not. For the high temperature road surfaces out here, it became a safety issue with high speed interstate use.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My expieriance was different,.....aka, no significant change in mileage totals. I have run 'D' & 'E' rated BFG's AT's, and mileage was within a couple thousand on tread-life. When I bought my last set, the D's did have the snow rating (peak) on the side, whereas the 'E' did not. The only other visible difference was the extra OEM sipping the D rated tire had. I chose to go with the E for payload and trailering. Even with judicial rotation and balancing my 3/4 ton pickup's, over the years, both gas and diesel, only got between 42,000-46,000 on the tread. Never could squeeze out that 50,000, that some managed or exceeded.

Until other tire companies started offering 3 ply sidewalls, and they became more available, the BFG ruggedness was a big selling point. I remember how thick the old 10 ply, tube tires were from the 60's, and how puncture resistant they were. My dad only once speared a sidewall, and it was a direct hit. Any tire would have failed that impact. It took a pair of pliers to extract the root out of the sidewall, it was so tight.

The one thing I did not really care for was the sidewall having a circular heat check crack form as they got older. Living in the hot desert SW, this was a problem with all of them. Someone told be it was a manifistation of the rubber compound used in their construction. Not sure how other OB members in cooler temperature zones had this issue or not. For the high temperature road surfaces out here, it became a safety issue with high speed interstate use.

NO... DT. which means Different Tread /different compound. not weight rating. I suggest you go to bfg site.. and send their techs an email. they will give you the 411.

Frontier85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Highland Park, Saint Paul, MN, USA
First Name
F
Last Name
Lor
Member #

I'm currently running the new Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus in 265/75/16. I went with them because they're on the lighter side of the A/T offerings, and they were cheaper than both the Wildpeaks and K02s. My overlanding rig is also my daily driver so I wanted something on the lighter end. Rotating mass vs non-rotating is roughly a 4:1 ratio, so any weight I could save was beneficial to me and my MPGs. That said, I also wanted an LT rated tire for a little more peace of mind off the beaten path. Plus they're 3-peak rated for severe weather, which is helpful where I live.

I went out in foot-deep unplowed snow with a group of guys a couple of weeks ago. They were all running either K02s or Duratracs and I was able to keep up with no issues. I'd definitely recommend them.

Attachments

Reactions: Downs

Lost Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
I'm currently running the new Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus in 265/75/16. I went with them because they're on the lighter side of the A/T offerings, and they were cheaper than both the Wildpeaks and K02s. My overlanding rig is also my daily driver so I wanted something on the lighter end. Rotating mass vs non-rotating is roughly a 4:1 ratio, so any weight I could save was beneficial to me and my MPGs. That said, I also wanted an LT rated tire for a little more peace of mind off the beaten path. Plus they're 3-peak rated for severe weather, which is helpful where I live.

I went out in foot-deep unplowed snow with a group of guys a couple of weeks ago. They were all running either K02s or Duratracs and I was able to keep up with no issues. I'd definitely recommend them.
those are tempting.. good price/ performance and they look good too.

Frontier85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Highland Park, Saint Paul, MN, USA
First Name
F
Last Name
Lor
Member #

those are tempting.. good price/ performance and they look good too.
I can't speak on a comparison to the more popular K02/Grabbers/Wildpeaks/etc. I just know I was able to keep up in the conditions I've been in. If you look at the tread pattern you'll see the treads are fairly close together compared to other A/T tires. This helps a lot to reduce road noise if that's a big thing for you. The downside is that you'll have a harder time ejecting rocks/mud/deep snow if you do a lot of that type of wheeling. You'll just have to weigh the pros and cons for your needs. This is also a newer offering, only a couple of years old, so I figured the tire technology is up to snuff. It is Pirelli after all.

If I did it again I'd have gone with a larger size up, but all in all I've been quite satisfied.

Attachments

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Funny, I love reading tire threads, so many ideas about tires. Me, my favorite tire is the one that gets me home. I had a trip years ago where I put a hole in all of my tires including the spare. I replaced all 5 when I got home including the one I had to replace because of a sidewall hole while in Baja.When I stopped in to see friends, my buddy noted I hade a leak in my tire, I said yep “the rear left,” he said no “the front right.” He also put a hole in a tire driving down the dirt road back to town to get mine fixed.LOL.
I was driving to fast with a heavy truck. I didn’t air down at all. 80 miles of washboard doesn’t forgive for stupidly. Most tires are fine, it’s the drivers that are the issue. Myself at the top of this list. I run E rated tires mostly KO’s or General. I prefer a rubber made for dirt instead a road rubber with a dirt tread. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: The Roach ...

Mr & Mrs Fin

Rank 0

Traveler I

Long beach, Ms
First Name
BRIAN
Last Name
FINNILA
Any tire works for us. We would not hear them over the 12v cummins anyways. But our all around favor is the toyo at2. They wear like steal, and have great traction.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Funny, I love reading tire threads, so many ideas about tires. Me, my favorite tire is the one that gets me home. I had a trip years ago where I put a hole in all of my tires including the spare. I replaced all 5 when I got home including the one I had to replace because of a sidewall hole while in Baja.When I stopped in to see friends, my buddy noted I hade a leak in my tire, I said yep “the rear left,” he said no “the front right.” He also put a hole in a tire driving down the dirt road back to town to get mine fixed.LOL.
I was driving to fast with a heavy truck. I didn’t air down at all. 80 miles of washboard doesn’t forgive for stupidly. Most tires are fine, it’s the drivers that are the issue. Myself at the top of this list. I run E rated tires mostly KO’s or General. I prefer a rubber made for dirt instead a road rubber with a dirt tread. Your mileage may vary.

That is some bad luck. I have been running around with two spares on the big trips. And of course, I have only had one flat. Like carrying an umbrella to insure it won't rain I guess.

I only had to look at my old school BFG ATs and they would spring a leak. Fortunately, most of the hybrid tires use an off road M/T carcass. They typically have very good puncture resistance.