Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I was on the Ram Truck website looking at the Power Wagon and noticed you can add the power wagon package to the tradesman and save quite a bit of money. I guess you would forgo the power wagon paint job and interior. Has anyone purchased a tradesman with the power wagon package? I did try to build a power wagon with the diesel engine but that wasn't and option.

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

When I priced it out it was little over $48,000 I upgraded to cloth seats which made me upgrade to some convenience package so you could do it cheaper if you wanted vinyl. Base price of the Power Wagon is $53,000.

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

I got a turbo diesel tradesman with the offroad package for $44k. I'd rather add the winch and tires/wheels and have the diesel.

Reactions: CCHeath

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Kind of stinks you can't get a tradesman power wagon with a diesel
Seems like another case of FCA having their priorities screwed up. Why not just sell the customer whatever they want?

Of course, I'm a Ford guy, so I really shouldn't be commenting on companies having their priorities screwed up....

Reactions: Arailt

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Seems like another case of FCA having their priorities screwed up. Why not just sell the customer whatever they want?

Of course, I'm a Ford guy, so I really shouldn't be commenting on companies having their priorities screwed up....
Why give the customer what they want when you can get them to pay $5k more for what they wanted? :anguished:

Part of it could be how they setup the assembly lines in the factory - certain trims get made a specific lines and they don't need to accommodate the diesel option (whether via assembly equipment or train the labor for that step of the process). Another part could be the accounting rationale - they need customers to pay the higher price in order to recover the R&D costs.

I know as customers we often think companies do the silliest stuff but, sometimes, there is a good reason (whether engineering, accounting, or marketing). I'm hoping there is a good reason in this particular case.

Side note: I'm glad this thread exists because it prompted me to price out a Dodge Ram and it made me not feel as bad about the new JLs costing so damn much. You guys buying pick-ups have it way worse!

Reactions: CCHeath

Bluegrassjlur

Rank I

Contributor III

I
OK, so to play devil's advocate, what about a short frame extension to allow clearance for the intercooler/winch?[/QUOTE

I don't think it would be financially responsible for them to do that because it would require additional safety crash testing (a big reason the winch is recessed now) expenses along with a lot of additional manufacturing costs for no positive return on their investment.

I like the power wagon, but if it were me I'd just get a diesel 2500, and order the replacement suspension for the power wagon, and install that along with an aftermarket bumper, and winch.