AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Who has one? I bought one and will hopefully try it out this week. The design circulates hot air and allows you to bake on top of a propane flame. Bake bread, make nachos, chicken wings, baked potatoes and lots of other stuff. Originally designed for use on a boat where something like a dutch oven is not practical.

They sell for around $65 dollars or there is a kit with silicone inserts and a rack for bread for around $115.00. Hit the Google and you can find lots of reviews and recipes. It seems like a great gadget. Especially when base camping. Once I start to use it I will post up my success and failures. I saw these at Expo East but didn't get a chance to really look at it.

csm_Omnia_3pcs_LR_13_ef49cd8660.jpg

Here's a good review.

All of the reviews I have read are favorable. Anyway, another gadget folks might want in their camping kitchen. Hopefully some other OB members have one and have come up with some recipes.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I've been looking at this oven for a few weeks now and I'm kinda finding the same thing; good to excellent reviews, some recipes and it seems quite popular lately. When I first started looking at it I came across a link for a discount coupon, but now I can't find the link. I'm hoping they will be available at one of the overland shows I'll be attending over the next few months so I can get a closer look.

I'll report back here if I find any discount coupons and once I get it, I'll give it a review.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I got one of these for Christmas after reading the ExPo review. We have a JKU and a Ford Raptor. Normally taking the Raptor camping but the JKU is starting to join the fun so I have been trying to find light-weighting solutions. Anyway and back to the point I finally used it yesterday for some crescent rolls and brownies, both with the silicon insert. What I discovered-

-The silicone insert seems to lift up if it doesn't have enough weight on the bottom. This caused the crescent rolls to roll to the outside and that part browned up while the inside and bottoms didn't. I ordered the rack from Amazon for these small chores.
-I was a bit hesitant about the flame height and think I had it too low as both the rolls and the brownies took about 30-50% longer than the packaging suggested. I attribute this to the heat-so I am going to stoke it up a bit next time.

Overall I think it did a really good job and I am happy to have it in the lighter kit. I expect experience will pay off with this item and once you dial it in things will be pretty smooth. Would be nice to have some warm dinner rolls alongside some grilled steaks in camp without having to stoke up the dutch ovens!

Reactions: HIALT2D

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
-The silicone insert seems to lift up if it doesn't have enough weight on the bottom. This caused the crescent rolls to roll to the outside and that part browned up while the inside and bottoms didn't. I ordered the rack from Amazon for these small chores.
-I was a bit hesitant about the flame height and think I had it too low as both the rolls and the brownies took about 30-50% longer than the packaging suggested. I attribute this to the heat-so I am going to stoke it up a bit next time.
More practice and trial and error is required by me. On my two burner Dometic stove I had to have the flame on high. Next time I will experiment with using my single burner butane stove. I had the same issue initially. Things were taking to long to cook. I think the best thing to do is at a thermometer to the lid. Then you can get a better idea of the interior temps. I am going to install a BBQ Thermometer. There are some with a 2" dial which can be secured with a supplied nut. $10-15 on Amazon.

Last edited:

kramme

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Melanie
Last Name
Kramme
I like the idea of a Thermometer - once you get one can you pass on the link. I am going to try my new oven next weekend, glad to hear these tips others have. I guess it will take some uses for us to get this down which is good to hear.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I like the idea of a Thermometer - once you get one can you pass on the link. I am going to try my new oven next weekend, glad to hear these tips others have. I guess it will take some uses for us to get this down which is good to hear.
I think I’m going to try this one.
BBQ Grill Thermometer Temperature Gauge Heat Indicator Replacement for Charbroil, Chargriller, Jenn-Air, Perfect Flame, King Griller, Dyna-glo Gas Grills, 2 inch Dia. Stainless Steel BBQ Temp Gauge

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yes! My friends at BundutecUSA have the Omnia Oven for $64 and asked if I knew about them yet. They also sell the Silicone Duo, silicon mold, baking rack, and muffin ring for the Omnia.

They look interesting, though yes, will want to put in a good temp gauge. This is the one I've been looking at.

I once cooked a complete Thanksgiving meal with my outdoor kitchen and Partner 22 with a contrived oven of doubled-up baking pans and binder clips that worked really well. I was surprised how well, actually. The Omnia will be a hell of a lot more durable and long lasting and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

What I found with my makeshift oven was that setting it on my griddle and keeping my windscreen tight (I was outside in the Smokies in late Nov) helped it bake better, rather than having it over just one burner. The Omnia seems designed to take better advantage of a single burner. It is essentially a bundt or angel-food cake pan.

panoven_3530-900.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort and RoarinRow

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yes! My friends at BundutecUSA have the Omnia Oven for $64 and asked if I knew about them yet. They also sell the Silicone Duo, silicon mold, baking rack, and muffin ring for the Omnia.

They look interesting, though yes, will want to put in a good temp gauge. This is the one I've been looking at.

I once cooked a complete Thanksgiving meal with my outdoor kitchen and Partner 22 with a contrived oven of doubled-up baking pans and binder clips that worked really well. I was surprised how well, actually. The Omnia will be a hell of a lot more durable and long lasting and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

What I found with my makeshift oven was that setting it on my griddle and keeping my windscreen tight (I was outside in the Smokies in late Nov) helped it bake better, rather than having it over just one burner. The Omnia seems designed to take better advantage of a single burner. It is essentially a bundt or angel-food cake pan.

View attachment 136514

The pro to your setup or a dutch over would be you are not restricted by shape. The pro to the Omnia oven is the heat goes directly up the middle and then swirls around, or at least they claim it does, and it cooks pretty quickly. The temp gauge will be a big improvement. There are just too many stoves out there with different BTU to say "set on medium flame" and cook. I had to have mine on high. On the Partner stove medium will probably be a proper setting.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The pro to your setup or a dutch over would be you are not restricted by shape. The pro to the Omnia oven is the heat goes directly up the middle and then swirls around, or at least they claim it does, and it cooks pretty quickly. The temp gauge will be a big improvement. There are just too many stoves out there with different BTU to say "set on medium flame" and cook. I had to have mine on high. On the Partner stove medium will probably be a proper setting.

Exactly, on several points. I'm sure the Omnia would be more effective in some ways.

I've been researching BTUs in general and duel-fuel single-burner butane stoves in particular. I want a single burner both to supplement my Partner 22 when cooking large meals, and for use in my van on quick stops and overnights with my canoe. And, because I just love tinkering and comparing things. I already have a butane single burner but want to compare the efficiency and ease of use of the duel-fuel in camping and travel environments.

Here's what I've found.

As for BTUs, the tendency is to think "the more the better!" when comparing stoves and BTU output, and when using the Omnia for baking that is most likely true. Here's a very interesting article, though, on BTUs and why more is not always better for general purposes: Decoding BTUs - How Much Cooking Power Do You Really Need?

A gas burner on a typical home stove is 7,000 BTU. As comparison, I found the range of BTUs in one popular line of butane stoves goes from 7,172 BTU on the compact to 15,000 BTU on a larger single burner and to 16,000 for the grill deal.

Gasone-model-comparison-900.jpg

The Partner 22 has two 10,000 BTU burners. The popular Skottle uses a 10,000 BTU burner from Coleman.

A bit higher BTU is helpful on camp stoves because we're often outside and in lower, breezy, temps.

Going for the max BTU output, however, when choosing a single burner stove is not always the best for general purpose use. A medium setting (halfway) on a 15,000 BTU burner would be the max output on a typical burner, making that burner harder to use for simmering and sauté purposes. These single burner high output butane stoves are often used by pro chefs for huge pots of food in catering settings and for quick fry wok-style meals.

Temp Gauge: I think the thing with the temp gauge will be to install it in a way it will register an average temp in the available space but not interfere with what we're cooking.

Also interesting is that the shape and concept of the Omnia is making nothing new; it's been used for decades in making bundt cakes and angel food cakes and inventive cooks have used them for other baking and cooking needs.

I'll most like get an Omnia from Bundutec to experiment with, though doubt I will always take it with me on every adventure. I just have too much gear, especially for long-distance long term travel, to take everything every time.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Exactly, on several points. I'm sure the Omnia would be more effective in some ways.

I've been researching BTUs in general and duel-fuel single-burner butane stoves in particular, both to supplement my Partner 22 when cooking large meals and needing an extra burner and for use in my van on quick stops and for overnights with my canoe. Though because I just love tinkering and comparing things, too. I already have a butane single burner but want to compare the efficiency and ease of use of the duel-fuel in camping and travel environments.
I have this one but haven't used it much. I will bring it on my next trip though to compare. For group trips it is nice to have a simple single burner to keep food warm. I should have the thermometer installed tomorrow. Then I will do some comparisons to my trailer burners.

Reactions: RoarinRow and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have this one but haven't used it much. I will bring it on my next trip though to compare. For group trips it is nice to have a simple single burner to keep food warm. I should have the thermometer installed tomorrow. Then I will do some comparisons to my trailer burners.

Looking forward to what you discover, especially on your 15,000 BTU burner.

I don't do a ton of stir fry or frying, though do a lot of sautéing, warming, and am starting to explore sauces a lot more, so got the 8,000 BTU Gas One Duel-Fuel.
Also got the twelve-panel folding windscreen to put around it. I have an eight or nine panel, and had no idea they made them in other panel sizes.
PRO TIP from another forum: Epoxy a couple magnets in strategic spots to help keep it in place.

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Still need to test and a may switch the wingnut with a traditional one. I just drilled a new hole to add the thermometer. I will test it tomorrow. Who wants biscuits? :)

7E3F54F0-6714-4D84-8535-6A34CAB952EE.jpeg
735B9C6B-0AE9-425B-9DBD-98559F31D29E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho and Road

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

I have the same one and bought it because of the high BTU. The single burner is convenient and so is the butane gas. Perfect for weekend trips, which is what we do most of the time anyway. As far as simmering I am used to always being by the stove so most time I am holding the handle and lifting pan to mix things around and such, then back on the burn until my food is done. Habit from cooking at home.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Here we go! In our kitchen lab. Otherwise known as our kitchen.

7E2DF0D9-C29C-4DAC-B732-BE7EC9ACDDED.jpeg
6D316725-45A1-4880-9787-6AAAD883DA70.jpeg
21B1E3A7-7834-4BF1-A7C5-7AA450ACBF91.jpeg
Great consistent flame on the Gas One. Easy to set the right temperature and let the Omnia do its thing.

BA559754-14D1-4007-89D6-5E610B3779C0.jpeg
Next time I will try the silicone insert.

Last edited:

kramme

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Melanie
Last Name
Kramme

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

We head out to pick up our camper on my daughter's birthday. Needed a way to bake a cake, and christen the trailer. Camp Chocolate cake, adult beverage is tbd!

Barbs401

Rank I

Contributor III

I have an omnia and the 15k btu butane/propane single burner. Works great for morning cinnamon rolls on medium heat. I didn’t buy the rack or silicone insert

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #