Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Looking to buy a older wrangler prefer a 89 with the 4.2 in the next few months. I'm not having much luck. I've looked on Craigslist and found nothing. Facebook marketplace has some. Will I have issues with axles? I did have a 89 as my first jeep but didn't lift it.

JPRatJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ratledge
Member #

Service Branch
Marine corps
Looking to buy a older wrangler prefer a 89 with the 4.2 in the next few months. I'm not having much luck. I've looked on Craigslist and found nothing. Facebook marketplace has some. Will I have issues with axles? I did have a 89 as my first jeep but didn't lift it.
I used to have a 1990 YJ with the 4.2 in it. It was great with loads of power and amazing off road but the old carb was a pain. By far one of my most favorite jeeps though.

Reactions: HOT-ROD and Scout

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Will I have issues with axles?
Depends on what you are going to do with it. The front should be fine, but the Dana 35 can't handle much. It's a C-clip axle, so if a shaft breaks, it's coming out. It's not too hard to upgrade to a D44 from a TJ, or even a Ford 8.8.

Reactions: Scout

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Something to watch out for is rust on the frame. Jeeps have a real problem with the frames rusting from the inside out. keep a close eye out for that.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I will thank you, I'm amazed by how expensive the older jeeps are even in bad condition.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Try Wicked Jeeps.. I'm a member of the WNY region.. I have a '90 with a 4.2 5spd. stock axles front and rear but thinking of upgrading to 8.8 Ford rear sometime..I just replaced the tub and did much needed frame repair..Replaced the fenders,windshield frame, etc.. It is very hard to find them without rot. We've had ours 5 years. We knew it would need attention sooner or later.. Sooner came FAST..lol.. Love the Jeep though..

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Try Wicked Jeeps.. I'm a member of the WNY region.. I have a '90 with a 4.2 5spd. stock axles front and rear but thinking of upgrading to 8.8 Ford rear sometime..I just replaced the tub and did much needed frame repair..Replaced the fenders,windshield frame, etc.. It is very hard to find them without rot. We've had ours 5 years. We knew it would need attention sooner or later.. Sooner came FAST..lol.. Love the Jeep though..
What upgrades did you do to your Jeep? What size tire are you running? Hoping to buy in the spring but a lot of them have rust even the expensive ones.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

What upgrades did you do to your Jeep? What size tire are you running? Hoping to buy in the spring but a lot of them have rust even the expensive ones.
Have you thought about making a trip down south to purchase? Texas and Arizona have always got older jeeps for sale and they don't have the rust issues. You could rent a trailer to bring it home or drive it back. Just a thought as it is going to be difficult finding a rust free jeep in the northeast. Good luck with your hunt.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

it has 33" Duratracs .. They were on it relatively new when we bought it..Other than repairing all the rust issues this past fall we've added a reman 4.2 long block, new clutch, bearing, pressure plate, flywheel and a Weber carb and DUI distributor, rear bumper with swing away tire mount, 60" HiLift jack, center console, side nerf bars, ALL new brake components throughout, new Panasonic stereo and overhead speakers, cleaned up all the dash wiring,soon to be repairing the front frame stubs due to rust then getting a new front bumper and winch. Mainly just upgrades to help make it last a bit longer.. Hahaha. Our original purpose for the purchase of it was for plowing snow but now that we've done all this work, it'll be an "overland" ride for my wife or I as well.. Summer/Fall usage...Time will tell..

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I will thank you, I'm amazed by how expensive the older jeeps are even in bad condition.
Yeah, I hear you on that. Where I live, the prices are downright stupid for old jeep "wranglers," especially when compared to a jeep Cherokee XJ, which is a superior vehicle for overlanding purposes, in my opinion. Guys asking stupid money for beat old TJ's and YJ's with 300,000+ kms, some with fairly major issues. Yeah, how about no.