Rank II

Contributor III

Piedmont, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Charron
Member #

Same story for me. Spent my youth winter ice climbing and backpacking in the Adirondacks in Northern NY. Now in my 70’s I have a Wrangler Rubicon 392 on order and want to overland the West. My wife thinks I’m nuts, but supports me, though she clearly states she’s not going.

• Love
Reactions: old_man

RBinOR

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Burkhead
Thanks for having me, been camping many of times everything to tent to luxury motorhome. The wife and I have an order for a Bronco so we are hoping to get started in our new adventure soon.
Jimmy, I'm in the same boat. Lifelong backpacker and camper here, but the 'rookiest' of rookies on the overland thing. Just trying to absorb and learn everything I can before gearing up (more than I am presently) and doing the overland and dispersed adventure thing...

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

In general I have found that long-time campers or backpackers are actually overlanders that know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome to the sandbox from So Cal. We used to call it car camping and driving down dirt roads. I come from a line of campers. My Grandfather built a deck for his country squire station only he call drawers and a sleeping area. It's mostly the same with rougher roads sometimes.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for having me, been camping many of times everything to tent to luxury motorhome. The wife and I have an order for a Bronco so we are hoping to get started in our new adventure soon.
Welcome to Overland Bound Jimmy
We look forward to seeing what you do with the Bronco.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @cgflyer
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Texas. Same as the others above. My wife and I used to go tent camping in the early 90s using a Mustang GT as the "rig" before we even knew there was a name for it. Only thing that's changed today is the tent and the rig. Still using the same 28 year old sleeping bags. :sunglasses:

MichaelGX470

Rank I

Enthusiast I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hedden
Love your title Jimmy, it's great. Wish you the best with your upcoming Bronco build, should be a blast. -Michael

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Welcome from Colorado / Arizona. Similar backgrounds and age. City girl wife got tired of sleeping on the ground, hence the teardrop trailer.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Hey Jimmy, I'm in the same boat as you. Long time "car-camper", backpacker and hate to admit...sometimes glamper. Like you I've ordered the new Bronco (the big one) and am anxiously awaiting it's build and arrival. From what I hear it's gonna be a while as everything I asked for seems to be on a delay list of some sort, sasquatch package, MIC hard top and lux package (had to have the stereo!). Have plans to lightly outfit it once I get it and go full bore later as I figure out how I'll use it. Hopefully sometime this fall I'll look out my window to gaze upon it but the reality is probably later....I'd love to see how you set yours up n the coming months!

Nudist

Rank II

Enthusiast I

RI, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Yep, like everyone else. Long time backpacker/ camper. Even went to school for 6years for it, USMC. BTW it means you suckers miss Christmas not that other organization.
That was before marriage. This is post marriage and I can’t wait to get out again.
If anyone out there rock/ ice climb, scuba and looking to go far north, message me.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Yep, like everyone else. Long time backpacker/ camper. Even went to school for 6years for it, USMC. BTW it means you suckers miss Christmas not that other organization.
That was before marriage. This is post marriage and I can’t wait to get out again.
If anyone out there rock/ ice climb, scuba and looking to go far north, message me.
Some how nudist and ice climbing are a strange combination.

Reactions: Nudist

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Rhode Island... I love that place! Had the opportunity to visit twice (back in the day) participating in the International Military Parachute Competition. Welcome to OB!

Reactions: Nudist

Nudist

Rank II

Enthusiast I

RI, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Oddly it is the only state I have live in twice and both times moving there was by some else’s choice. First, dad was with the Seabee there then wife got a job here that required us to move here.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hello Jimmy, welcome to the OB community.