Cancelled Old-School Vehicle Overlanding Trip - Running the WA Backcountry Discovery Route

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sorry to hear you’re not going to make the OSWABDR run @armyRN . I was looking forward to all those old school rigs going down the trail
Like 40 years ago.

Go ahead and do another RP. If it generates interest, great, if not, well you were out only a few minutes of time. I know a few guys from southern Oregon. We’re thinking of doing the Southern Sections of the OBDR soonish, they might want to join you as your route intersects with theirs.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I thought about it, but I still need to do a little bit of research on it. Like where are those California fires, and would that impact the trip?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I thought about it, but I still need to do a little bit of research on it. Like where are those California fires, and would that impact the trip?
More importantly the Oregon fires...

From what I hear south central Oregon is very Smokey... and even here in Northeastern Oregon we are dealing with California smoke...

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Oregon fires? Yeah... another reason that this trip might not get finalized till closer to departure time. Bummer. The Overlanding gods are working against me.

Do they have bears in Oregon?

Dilbert cartoon.1.PNG

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Oregon fires? Yeah... another reason that this trip might not get finalized till closer to departure time. Bummer. The Overlanding gods are working against me.

Do they have bears in Oregon?

View attachment 168236
Yes we have black bear varieties... Bit nothing to worry about... I’m more scared of the Wolves we got than a stupid bear.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Ok; I posted a Rally Point for this Pacific Crest Overlanding Route - Oregon Segment:

Figure if I was maybe/possibly going to post it, I should do it now even though I'm still working out the details for the trip.

Same start date (6 September), but we'll be starting in Hood River OR and going south to the CA border.

Go to the Rally Point and post any questions you have, or send me a message.

I'll be taking my truck and possibly my lil' trailer, but either way will be sleeping in the back of the truck on a new cot I just got specially for this trip. This is kind-of a practice run for this set-up for my next Alaska/Canada overlanding trip.

Truck and trailer.jpg

Last edited: