Oklahoma Experts for OBOK Group

DixiePhotoArt

Rank V
Member

Advocate II

1,983
Yukon, Canadian County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Trawick
Member #

49935

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSHA808
Service Branch
USAF
OBOK — Overland Bound Oklahoma — is growing, and I’d love to start bringing more Oklahoma knowledge and experience into the group.

I want to be clear about something from the start: I’m not trying to replace Overland Bound or duplicate all the great information, resources, and experience already available through the national community. Overland Bound has built an incredible network.

What I want OBOK to do is add a strong local layer — a place where Oklahoma overlanders can connect with Oklahoma people, learn from local experience, find nearby resources, and support one another closer to home.

The goal is bigger than simply getting together in a parking lot once a month. I want OBOK to become a place where Oklahoma overlanders — experienced travelers and brand-new folks alike — can meet local people, learn useful skills, share knowledge, and build the confidence to explore farther.

To make that happen, I’m looking for people around Oklahoma who know their stuff and would be willing to occasionally share that knowledge with the group.

Maybe you have experience with:

• Overlanding and trip planning
• Off-road driving and vehicle recovery
• Camping and outdoor skills
• Survival and preparedness
• Self-sufficient / off-grid travel
• First aid, wilderness medicine, or emergency response
• Vehicle maintenance and trail repairs
• Electrical systems, solar, batteries, and power management
• GMRS, amateur radio, or emergency communications
• Navigation, GPS, onX Offroad, or mapping
• Camp cooking and food storage
• Oklahoma trails, public lands, history, or destinations
• Photography and documenting the journey
• Or something else that would make our community smarter, safer, and more capable

You don’t have to be a professional instructor. Sometimes the best information comes from the person who has simply been doing something for years and is willing to share what they’ve learned.

As OBOK grows, I’d like to feature Oklahoma contributors in a future monthly newsletter and invite knowledgeable members to participate in our Basecamp & Brew meetups around the state. That might mean writing a short article, answering a few questions, giving a 15–20 minute Basecamp Brief, demonstrating some gear, helping organize a meetup, or simply being someone the community can learn from.

I also want this to reach beyond Oklahoma City. Tulsa, Lawton, Enid, Stillwater, Ardmore, Broken Bow, western Oklahoma, Green Country — wherever Oklahoma overlanders are, I’d eventually like OBOK to be there too.

This is about building a local community and local support network that works alongside the larger Overland Bound community — not replacing it.

If you have knowledge you’d like to share — or you know an Oklahoma person, business, organization, instructor, mechanic, medic, outdoorsman, traveler, or subject-matter expert we should connect with — drop a comment below or send me a message.

Let’s build something Oklahoma overlanders can be proud to be part of.

OBOK — Meet Local. Explore Everywhere.