Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Sweden, ME, USA
First Name
Jeraime
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Does anyone have a map of any gravel farm roads or back trails in Ohio. I am heading out to Toledo, Ohio from Maryland and i am looking for some fun senic routes to take instead of the toll-roads as we always do.
Thanks

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
As a lifelong SW Ohio resident, I have to confess that there are not a lot of unpaved options for traversing the state in any direction. That said, there are plenty of scenic backroads, especially in the East and Southeast . SE of Columbus there's Wayne National Forest, Shawnee State Forest, Tar Hollow State Forest, and others, all of which offer great scenery and are off the beaten path. Shawnee, in particular, has a number of well marked and well maintained unpaved Forestry roads. Check out the Ohio DNR website. Also check out GravelMap.com - it's a gravel road wiki of sorts, with updates once in a while. Once you get farther north, past Wlimington / Washington Courthouse, the terrain flattens and the scenery is primarily crops in the field. If you need to make time, US 35 is four lane over most of it's distance. Safe Travels!

glade8r

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklinton, NC, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Wells
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UFU
We were exploring up there in May. If you go to the BIG MUSKY BUCKET in McConnelsville and take the first right there was a sweet little fire road with several small bodies of water. Pretty curvy paved roads.

105511Screenshot_20190627-095414.png105512Screenshot_20190627-095414.pngScreenshot_20190627-095304.png

Reactions: Commander Explorer

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Priceless thanks.

There's some cool spots around Mohican.
Down Covert Rd to put in Kayaks, and further down the road, a free boat ramp. It's not overlanding, but if you're passing by, stop at Mohican St. Park for some good camping, kayaking, hiking, horseback, etc. Good singletrack mountainbike trail as well.

Reactions: glade8r

Commander Explorer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Sweden, ME, USA
First Name
Jeraime
Last Name
Baker
Member #

As a lifelong SW Ohio resident, I have to confess that there are not a lot of unpaved options for traversing the state in any direction. That said, there are plenty of scenic backroads, especially in the East and Southeast . SE of Columbus there's Wayne National Forest, Shawnee State Forest, Tar Hollow State Forest, and others, all of which offer great scenery and are off the beaten path. Shawnee, in particular, has a number of well marked and well maintained unpaved Forestry roads. Check out the Ohio DNR website. Also check out GravelMap.com - it's a gravel road wiki of sorts, with updates once in a while. Once you get farther north, past Wlimington / Washington Courthouse, the terrain flattens and the scenery is primarily crops in the field. If you need to make time, US 35 is four lane over most of it's distance. Safe Travels!
Thanks I’ll look into that

WWest

Rank 0

Contributor I

Athens, OH, USA
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
West
I am in Southeast Ohio as well and we drive out to Zaleski area a lot, A lot of gravel roads to explore with some pretty cool sites like Moonville tunnel and the Fire Tower. Not sure if anyone wants the Fire Tower coordinates but I attached them.

GPX viewer

Attachments

Reactions: Wayward Bones

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
Well, what's below is cited from the Ohio Administrative Code:

1501:3-3-01 Camping permitted in designated areas.

No person shall camp in a state forest except in areas, sites or campgrounds designated by the chief of the division of forestry or authorized agent.

I would interpret that to mean it's generally prohibited unless you're in a "designated" area. I would also interpret this to mean that you could ask permission of the forest manager (ranger), and they could grant permission as an "authorized agent".

For what it's worth.