Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Morehead City, NC, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Payne
Check out offgridtrailers.com. We are about to purchase the Expedition 2.0. They are constructed of a powder coated steel frame and all aluminum box. There is no wood in these trailers. They are extremely well constructed. I am very confident that we will be able to pull this trailer anywhere our Jeep rubicon will go.

1573301236206.png

Mustang Matt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rugby, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Barton
Member #

Check out offgridtrailers.com. We are about to purchase the Expedition 2.0. They are constructed of a powder coated steel frame and all aluminum box. There is no wood in these trailers. They are extremely well constructed. I am very confident that we will be able to pull this trailer anywhere our Jeep rubicon will go.

View attachment 126071
Hi, I’m looking at the same trailer to use with my JLUR around the UK and Europe over a 1 year trip. How are you finding it and would you recommend it as I’ll be doing lots of off-road and mountain trails do I want something that will manage it? I’m also considering the Patriot X1-H as that looks more than capable, but still prefer the OGT trailer. Any advise would be helpful as I don’t want to buy the wrong one as I’ll need to ship whichever one to me in the UK.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thanks everyone for the insight. I would be towing this with my 2 door JK. SOme great input!
In which case the constraints of what a JK will tow , will be making your choice for you.

You're not going to find much of a teardrop that will be sub-2000 pounds wet.

I sold my JKR and bought a JTR for exactly that reason (towing capability and interior room).

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm in the market to purchase a camping trailer and am in the research phase. To those who own or have seen, what are the pro's and con's to either option. I'd like an offraod trailer with a RTT (like CVT https://cascadiatents.com/shop/cvt-trailer/ or Smittybilt scout SCOUT Trailer Kit - Smittybilt ) or an offroad teardrop (like hiker offers ). I just don't know which route to go.

Thanks in advance
Plus of a teardrop,, the bed is always made, packing up in the rain is probably quicker and dryer.
Plus of an RTT, it will be more compact, more manuverable, easier to turn around.
Minus of an RTT, depending on how you build it it likely has a higher center of gravity,
Minus of a teardrop? just one, it is likely bigger than an RTT on a trailer.

The big difference,
a Teardrop is ready for use instantly, just open or shut doors.
an RTT needs to be setup and unpacked every time you move.

Otherwise either one will do the same functions. batteries, lighting, cooking, refrigeration, stuff storage, water, propane, sleeping.
They can both do it all. And you can use the same gear in either setup.

As for towing weight, by the time either one is fully loaded for the trail, a compact light teardrop is likely close to the same weight as an RTT on an expo trailer.

Last edited:

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
My 5 X 9.5 all aluminum teardrop is only about 1,200 lbs. That leaves 800 lbs. for cargo, which is quite a bit.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

My 5 X 9.5 all aluminum teardrop is only about 1,200 lbs. That leaves 800 lbs. for cargo, which is quite a bit.
Assuming you are wiling to tow at maximum rated capacity , yes 800 pounds is quite a bit of weight for cargo.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I looked at all the options for decades. I mostly camp alone (city wife) so I just slept in the back of the Cherokee. I am getting older (crap) and don't like sleeping on the ground and with bad knees, up and down a ladder isn't in the cards. I looked at building a small trailer, but then decided to build a custom teardrop capable of extreme offroad AND comfort. My wife even comes with me now. It has diesel fueled forced air furnace, running water, propane stovetop, full electrical, etc.
I built it specifically to mate with my XJ. It has smaller 31" tires on a airbag suspension. For more info, check out the build link in my sig.