Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

Looking to rent an off-road trailer for a two week trip in June to New Mexico and Colorado. Going with a family.of.four so I want to have some extra room. Preferably located in Texas or new Mexico.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Good luck. I've been looking for a while now and there isnt anything available in West Texas or ALBQ areas. All of the dealers ahve very very limited availability. more in COlorado, but they are all rented out. Maybe someone here will rent theirs?

Mark Steele

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Guys, I own an RV Rental business and was thinking about adding one of these to our fleet. Do you think there is a market for people to rent these?? If so, I'd love to offer a free weekend rental if you can help me identify requirements that we would need to ensure is on the trailer if we buy one>>?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I can tell you that in Colorado and Utah... I was looking in November and December 2019 for an August 2020 trip. Not a single day available for the 7-8 rental locations, even that far in advance. Where are you located? So Cal/Central Coast had a few rentals but the ones I found were definitely intended for National Park camping and not overlanding or anything more than dirt road travel.

If you were to buy one for rentals to see who it well goes, I'd consider keeping it simple, but with overlanding capabilities. A lot of places have "add ons" for rent too. Fridge, cooking gear, RTT, generator, solar, first aid kits, etc.

Mark Steele

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I can tell you that in Colorado and Utah... I was looking in November and December 2019 for an August 2020 trip. Not a single day available for the 7-8 rental locations, even that far in advance. Where are you located? So Cal/Central Coast had a few rentals but the ones I found were definitely intended for National Park camping and not overlanding or anything more than dirt road travel.

If you were to buy one for rentals to see who it well goes, I'd consider keeping it simple, but with overlanding capabilities. A lot of places have "add ons" for rent too. Fridge, cooking gear, RTT, generator, solar, first aid kits, etc.
Thanks! Good points. I'm in Oklahoma City. I'd like to have one for myself and this is a great excuse to get one to test out rental possibilities. I'll keep you guys posted.

BlazingTrails

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fullerton, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barnard
Member #

If you look on Outdoorsy.com you will find plenty of rentals form teardrop trailers to 5th wheels. Good luck

BlazingTrails

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fullerton, CA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Barnard
Member #

Ended up building my own because I could do it cheaper than the rentals are going for. Converted a runaway in to an off-road beast. Axle swap and all.
Very nice, I built my own as well. Its always better to build it the way you want it for sure.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Ended up building my own because I could do it cheaper than the rentals are going for. Converted a runaway in to an off-road beast. Axle swap and all.

Looking good
How much did it end up costing you ?

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

I'm assuming this was cheaper than the Venturist as well?

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I assume you used wheel spacers? or was the new axle you used wider?
Look very good BTW
when I get mine (manufactured) I planed on mounting the spare on either the side or rear but I like what you did with it.

OffroadRn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Boatman
Member #

I did not price out the Venture since I found this one-year-old Coolcamp on Craiglist that I got an amazing price on. The guy bought and parked it in his yard and never took it out. Still had plastic around everything on the inside.

I swapped out the tiny solid axle with the Timbren 2k 4" lift for offroad tires. So, fortunately, no spacers needed. The only thing I don't like about it are the fenders but I was on a 4-6 week timeline and installed what I could source locally. If time was not an issue I would look at the Venturist model instead of doing all the work myself.

I will say though pulling a trailer changes the whole offroad dynamic - both good and bad. When it is just the two of us we probably won't drag it with us, but with the family, we will take it.