Offroad trailer California registration?

• HTML tutorial

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

I am going to pickup an offroad trailer that was built in Oregon. According to the company who built it, registering a trailer in Oregon is not mandatory so they are unsure of the process. Do any of you live in California that have registered an offroad trailer point me in the right direction? I have tried googling a few things but I would rather ask here first because I assume some of you have great suggestions and tips with registering an offroad trailer in California.

Thanks in advance,

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Register it as a utility trailer, using the bill of sale and look for the vin# on the trailer before you take it to DMV. They will want to see the vin# and get upset when you can't find it yourself.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

It will either be registered as a Utility Trailer or a Camper/RV. This is usually depending on how big it is and if you are able to sleep inside it. Some smaller, more expensive trailers are titled as RVs anyway in order for people to get financing for them through a regular Bank.

Every new trailer will have to have a VIN Number and Certificate of Origin in order to be registered in ANY state.
Without those things, its a "homemade" trailer and you will have to get it inspected by whatever code enforcement Cali requires.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My buddy built his own trailer a few years ago. He just had to take it to the DMV for inspection and was issued a VIN and plate. It was a rather simple process for the DMV. Sounds like purchasing one with a VIN is an even easier process.

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

Purchased a utility Trailer in Oregon last summer and registered it California. GVWR was under 3500 lbs so they gave me the utility plate.

Reactions: Graeman