Offroad solar power suggestions

• HTML tutorial
I'm pretty much in the dark for what I might need. I'm not planning on using tons of stuff, mostly a 12 volt cooler and shower. It needs to be able to go off road tho. Also I'm on a budget. Any suggestions?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

HERE are a bunch of threads on solar. Several will not apply to what you are asking, but some might get you started.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

About how many watts do I need to power a 12 volt cooler?
12V Cooler, or 12V Fridge/Freezer? Coolers typically draw 5A continuous, and only cool about 40° above ambient. So if your vehicle is 120° inside in the sun, the cooler will be around 80°. So, 5A at 12V is 60W.

A 12V fridge/freezer will draw 2-4A intermittently, and cool or freeze to whatever temperature you set it at. Mine says it draws 1.53 - 2.26 A average. That's 23W average. Fridge/Freezers also run on home AC power for everyday use and pre-cooling.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I'm pretty much in the dark for what I might need. I'm not planning on using tons of stuff, mostly a 12 volt cooler and shower. It needs to be able to go off road tho. Also I'm on a budget. Any suggestions?
Hey Fuzzy Brigs, there are lots of threads on here just like Steve said.
We run a off grid mobile solar set up in our Jeep and Taco.
A good resource for beginners is a ebook I got from Kombi Life (www.kombilife.com) “Van Life Off Grid and Solar Electrical Systems - 1st Edition.
Another good source is on YouTube, on Ronnie Dahl’s channel, and on 4x Overland (Andrew St.Piere White) channel.
Shoot me a pm if you need more info or need to trouble shoot this, I might be able to help.
Good luck!

You guys are awesome! I've been looking at a lot of different set ups on google and youtube. Seems a fridge would prolly be the better way to go. I'm on very limited funds so I have a little time to look while I save some money up. I'm always for getting the mostus for the leastus as long as I don't sacrifice quality.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I hope this is 9k, if not please delete it .
You can find tons of great solar info at www.cheaprvliving.com
There are several people there that live in vans,trucks,rvs, etc that can provide great info.
Bill 9810