Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I drove past a 30 or 40 mile long Trump train of cars on the free way several of them turned off to attend the highly anticipated Offroad show in scottsdale AZ. Parking was a little over a 1/2 mile away with no shuttle service but, it was just before noon and a cool 95 degree hike in. Hey it's a dry heat... Kind of like hiking through a hair dryer... Hey I am desert overlander no big deal...

I was pretty happy the ticket office line was very short maybe 3 people. So, I stepped up to the window and found out they stopped selling tickets to the event but, were still letting people with tickets in.... Wow! Why didn't I get tickets on line? They were only $2 cheaper and I didn't feel like going through the trouble... I decided to stick around the ticket booth to see if they were going to start selling again and lucky me a guy had an extra ticket... Great... yes, I did pay a scalper price but only $5 extra...

I jumped in the entry line at noon with only 30 or so people in front of me it was then I found out they were not letting people in because to many people were inside... You have to wonder, they knew how many tickets they sold how can there be too many people... Well it's the CV19 thing even though the city of scotsdale approved this they decided shut it down after 4 hours the first day... At first we were told to wait an hour because they were hoping to open it back up, one turned into two, then three with the same message we hope we will be able to open back up. Keep in mind they did not close the show they just stopped letting people go in. There were several thousands of people in there and we got to watch them stream out with all the cool things they bought in side... People leaving had no idea of what was going on outside as they left and many of them complained the beer line was two hours long... We often rebutted with we have been waiting 3 hours just to get in...

The line outside was at least 2000 people with tickets waiting to get in it dwindled down to about 40 die hard individuals by 4:30 when they finally came out to tell us the city of scottsdale was not letting anyone in. They offered to give the 40 or so people tickets for the show on Sunday and the organizers were very cooperative with instructing how to do that... They also informed us how to get a refund on line because a lot of people were from california. Keep in mind if you were one of the thousands who left you did not get the refund message... I felt real bad a lot of the people standing around me had come 4 or 5 hours to attend the show some even flew in and had hotel rooms for the weekend.

The real problem was some people did not want to wear a mask and the city does not have the force of law to make them so, they decided to make their point by shutting down the event instead... Of course for hours they left a couple thousand people standing next to each other 6 or 7 people wide in a 1/4 mile long line. It was 100 plus degrees with no water or facilities...

So I checked on line this morning and found out the city of scottsdale decided to shut the show down today (Sunday) so it is over...

Did I mention they did NOT shut the very large "Home show" right next door down... And the people selling tickets in front of the home show were telling people they had air conditioning in there and I was also told the Off road show was going to be shut down very soon anyway... They were telling people this an hour before the Off road show was closed... I wonder how many scotsdale politicians had a vested interest in the "Home show"?

My advice do not bother attending any trade shows in the big cities...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Any municipality, city, politician, etc. that would rob you of your free will and choice should be show the door.
New Zealand had complete lockdown for 5 weeks. Covid 19 was obliterated. Their lives went back to normal. The Prime Minister of NZ just won re election in a landslide victory. So stop the nonsense about freedom and free will and think about your fellow man for a change. We, as a nation, are still mired in this pandemic because of obvious reasons that I shall not go into.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
It’s way too early yet to even think about attending any events, let alone having any organizers thinking it is OK to put them on.
Maybe you can tell us why the home show OK and was not closed down???

I guess you are right it is crazy to not shut down all these shows when it could possibly result in just less than 1% of those infected dying from it... Or it killing less .001% of those who attend such an event...

Reactions: Dusther210

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Maybe you can tell us why the home show OK and was not closed down???

I guess you are right it is crazy to not shut down all these shows when it could possibly result in just less than 1% of those infected dying from it... Or it killing less .001% of those who attend such an event...
Your math is flawed.
Nonetheless, the lack of evenhandedness nationwide is because there has been zero guidance from the White House. I’m thinking it will be OK to attend large venues whenever the major sports venues open back up. I’m 67, in good health, my wife is 64 and in good health, I plan to keep it that way by being diligent with our social distancing. It’s frustrating for some I’m sure, especially after traveling to a venue, waiting in line, then having it shut down. It’s a lot more frustrating being helpless to do anything while your dad lies in a hospital, alone, dying from it. As I said before, and will say again, get of the horse you are on, and for once, think about your fellow man, instead of just yourself.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your math is flawed.
Nonetheless, the lack of evenhandedness nationwide is because there has been zero guidance from the White House. I’m thinking it will be OK to attend large venues whenever the major sports venues open back up. I’m 67, in good health, my wife is 64 and in good health, I plan to keep it that way by being diligent with our social distancing. It’s frustrating for some I’m sure, especially after traveling to a venue, waiting in line, then having it shut down. It’s a lot more frustrating being helpless to do anything while your dad lies in a hospital, alone, dying from it. As I said before, and will say again, get of the horse you are on, and for once, think about your fellow man, instead of just yourself.
I thought Baseball, and football have opened back up, along with NASCAR and Formula 1. Or am I just watching reruns of the 1976 world playoffs?

Reactions: Craig Schueren

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Well I am not 67, but 55, and I don’t need to listen to people shame others as you have been doing here.

People, rock on.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I drove past a 30 or 40 mile long Trump train of cars on the free way several of them turned off to attend the highly anticipated Offroad show in scottsdale AZ. Parking was a little over a 1/2 mile away with no shuttle service but, it was just before noon and a cool 95 degree hike in. Hey it's a dry heat... Kind of like hiking through a hair dryer... Hey I am desert overlander no big deal...

I was pretty happy the ticket office line was very short maybe 3 people. So, I stepped up to the window and found out they stopped selling tickets to the event but, were still letting people with tickets in.... Wow! Why didn't I get tickets on line? They were only $2 cheaper and I didn't feel like going through the trouble... I decided to stick around the ticket booth to see if they were going to start selling again and lucky me a guy had an extra ticket... Great... yes, I did pay a scalper price but only $5 extra...

I jumped in the entry line at noon with only 30 or so people in front of me it was then I found out they were not letting people in because to many people were inside... You have to wonder, they knew how many tickets they sold how can there be too many people... Well it's the CV19 thing even though the city of scotsdale approved this they decided shut it down after 4 hours the first day... At first we were told to wait an hour because they were hoping to open it back up, one turned into two, then three with the same message we hope we will be able to open back up. Keep in mind they did not close the show they just stopped letting people go in. There were several thousands of people in there and we got to watch them stream out with all the cool things they bought in side... People leaving had no idea of what was going on outside as they left and many of them complained the beer line was two hours long... We often rebutted with we have been waiting 3 hours just to get in...

The line outside was at least 2000 people with tickets waiting to get in it dwindled down to about 40 die hard individuals by 4:30 when they finally came out to tell us the city of scottsdale was not letting anyone in. They offered to give the 40 or so people tickets for the show on Sunday and the organizers were very cooperative with instructing how to do that... They also informed us how to get a refund on line because a lot of people were from california. Keep in mind if you were one of the thousands who left you did not get the refund message... I felt real bad a lot of the people standing around me had come 4 or 5 hours to attend the show some even flew in and had hotel rooms for the weekend.

The real problem was some people did not want to wear a mask and the city does not have the force of law to make them so, they decided to make their point by shutting down the event instead... Of course for hours they left a couple thousand people standing next to each other 6 or 7 people wide in a 1/4 mile long line. It was 100 plus degrees with no water or facilities...

So I checked on line this morning and found out the city of scottsdale decided to shut the show down today (Sunday) so it is over...

Did I mention they did NOT shut the very large "Home show" right next door down... And the people selling tickets in front of the home show were telling people they had air conditioning in there and I was also told the Off road show was going to be shut down very soon anyway... They were telling people this an hour before the Off road show was closed... I wonder how many scotsdale politicians had a vested interest in the "Home show"?

My advice do not bother attending any trade shows in the big cities...
NEVER, NEVER NEVER, NEVER NEVER NEVER will you see me there. for any show. Even a free one !
Not for the fear of a virus, but from the hate of a crowd of any kind. I've got better things to do than stand around in long lines and wait for poorly run events to happen. Man I gotta pee ever hour or so and being diabetic I need water and facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Offroadnutz

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
For the record I am 63 and have a few comorbidity issues and survived with no problem... A friend of mine who has been on dialysis for 5 years plus has cancer, high blood pressure, COPD is diabetic and is 62 years old he had covid and was over it in 2 weeks with no problem... Then there is the 74 year old guy in Washington DC who got over it in 3 or 4 days... It is such a scary virus...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Your math is flawed.
I cant agree with you Jim, that it is the responsibility of the white house or any other government agency to lead us by the hand and tell us what to do. The white house bears no responsibility for bringing this unbeknown virus upon us. It is not political unless you make it that way for whatever reason.

God gave me brains to use and that is what I will do, use them. It's the medical industry, the scientific end that should offer their advise , warnings and opinions and my personal responsibility to weigh the facts or presumed facts and decide for myself what is best for me. I would hope that everyone would choose wisely on where to go and what to do. I'm 85 and I'm going wherever I want but I will weigh the dangers and continue to use caution. Because I have little need to be galivanting all around town and only go where I have business to attend, I'll take my chances cautiously. I would do the same with any communicable disease and always have. I cant say I totally trust the sciences. Cancer is a good example. Science has been (I think) trying to cure it for as long as I can remember. My mother died from cancer at age 43, My wife had Lung cancer and did not die from it but did die 8 years later from medical malpractice. My 64 year old son died of brain cancer in March of 2019. I recently developed Colon cancer that was removed but may yet return. Like someone once said "The only thing to fear is fear itself". We are all going to die from something. C-19 is just another thing we may die of, but only if we are vulnerable health wise.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I thought Baseball, and football have opened back up, along with NASCAR and Formula 1. Or am I just watching reruns of the 1976 world playoffs?
They are open, but you should read up on the restrictions that are being abided by. It is very far from normal or “open”.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

They are open, but you should read up on the restrictions that are being abided by. It is very far from normal or “open”.
I'm boycotting anything that isn't normal.....

I quit football years ago when they turned it into a social justice platform. I was a huge fan, but no more. I'll never watch another football game.

Luckily, I never cared for basketball.

I love baseball but haven't watched a single game this year. It's too weird. We'll see what happens next year.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

When a community comes together to decide how to handle a situation, and the community agrees by a majority? Cool. Being told what to do, not allowing the freedom of choice and expression? Not so cool. And the way our gov't works is the states? States are responsible for themselves, not the federal govt. And thank god. I have no desire to have someone on the east coast telling me how to do something as a means of balancing averages across the country. No thanks.

As for New Zealand? Its not comparable. The population of New Zealand is ~4.9 million people. The US? 327.7 million. Auckland is roughly as large as our 6th largest city. Our 6 largest cities are 23 million in total compared to Auklands 1.6. By land mass? We are roughly 3,300% larger in size. And our govt's are not comparable.

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
New Zealand had complete lockdown for 5 weeks. Covid 19 was obliterated. Their lives went back to normal. The Prime Minister of NZ just won re election in a landslide victory. So stop the nonsense about freedom and free will and think about your fellow man for a change. We, as a nation, are still mired in this pandemic because of obvious reasons that I shall not go into.
New Zealand is a small island. The virus was not obliterated. The population just hid from it . We know now from scientists that lock downs do not work and cause more damage than the actual virus.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

New Zealand is a small island. The virus was not obliterated. The population just hid from it . We know now from scientists that lock downs do not work and cause more damage than the actual virus.
Man, I wish our idiot Governor would figure that out. It's more politics and power than science.

It's going to run it's course REGARDLESS of what we do.