Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

With all of the killer tech out there for our overlanding experience, and a lot of it dependant on cell service, just wondering if there are any offroad Cellular/WiFi boosters out there that can help bring these awesome apps, entertainment, mapping software, and a even help make the dreaded cell phone call possible in a pinch the further out one goes off grid?

I know it seems counter intuitive to want something like this as you head out on your latest Overland adventure, but sometimes situations pop up where you might want to be off grid and watch a little Hulu or your football team take on their next opponent.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I have used Wilson brand for a few years, in a couple vehicles. I like them. If you have Sprint check with the booster manufacturer to see if it will work. Sprints signal is right next to emergency frequencies which are illegal to boost, (for booster manufacturers.) They were working on this when I last spoke to Wilson about this. Another thing, a booster can only work if there is a signal to boost. Many times going out and about I had no signal even with a booster. It did work great however on a lot of drives where I had previously had a weak signal. I could now get a couple more bars that I did not have before.

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: gtomike

Colorado dude

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
First Name
Diego
Last Name
Obreque
Member #

Wilson now we boost covers a few of sprints bands. I install these all the time. They are a good product. This is the best one they have for mobile applications in my opinion. 4gx 470510.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I got the following.
https://www.costco.ca/Uniden®-U2-Cellular-Booster-Kit-with-Outdoor-Omni-and-Indoor-Whip-Antenna.product.100230913.html

It worked ok just on the base on the roof rack... but it seemed to be getting some feedback loop as the outdoor antennae was too close to the indoor antennae (sucking and blowing at the same time).

We camp in a lower area and it's difficult to navigate in and out of and if I cut my leg off with my chainsaw my wife can call for a chopper, lol.

This year I got an extendable 20' mast.... lol.

Works fantastic now.

IMG_20170811_103915.jpg

Reactions: k9sar and GFB_Steve

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I got the following.
https://www.costco.ca/Uniden®-U2-Cellular-Booster-Kit-with-Outdoor-Omni-and-Indoor-Whip-Antenna.product.100230913.html

It worked ok just on the base on the roof rack... but it seemed to be getting some feedback loop as the outdoor antennae was too close to the indoor antennae (sucking and blowing at the same time).

We camp in a lower area and it's difficult to navigate in and out of and if I cut my leg off with my chainsaw my wife can call for a chopper, lol.

Works fantastic now.

View attachment 34740
Hahaha, I think I have antenna envy.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

:laughing::laughing: Haha!

I have to reinforce the bracket at the base... pretty sure it's not made for a free-standing 20' mast... lol. It's just a basic base you see satellite dishes mounted into.

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Height is the key. Somewhere in spec is minimum fifteen feet between two antennas,as you said feedback. As above you need something to boost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Winterpeg

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
I got the following.

Works fantastic now.

View attachment 34740
There you go! As with any transmissions, it’s all about getting your antenna out there. I use a similar set up for work. Although, we rarely put the cell antenna up as we can usually position ourselves where we can pick up a cell tower or, there’s just no way and we use satellite service.

IMG_2968.jpg

GoFastBroncos.com