Offline maps for tablet or smartphone....what app do you use?

• HTML tutorial

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Gaia looks more appealing to me by the day. I like Maps.Me for on-road use but I do realize it's not going to be as useful as BCN or Gaia when I'm on a trail. I think the reason I like that it does recogize forest service roads (at least the ones I found) is that I can use the app to get me there, and then switch over to an off road GPS app when I'm at the start of a route that I've downloaded the tiles for. That should save me some memory since the entire US in Maps.Me takes up about 5gb.

I want to try Gaia but I'll probably wait until they have routing ready for Android. I'm not a fan of BCN and Gaia just looks like it's easier to use from what I've seen online. I'm very interested in DeLorme's Earthmate app as well.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
PS: I think one of the things in my posts is that while some think $20 for an app is a lot of money for what you get it's a bargain. They have a strong development team, dedicated beta testers, and are constantly improving the app. They are also very responsive in their Reddit forum.

Reactions: Crispy

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Gaia pro, iPad mini and dual 150 gps antenna.
Working quite well. Just keep active layers minimized or the screen refreshes a lot.

Dfndr110

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New to overland. Building rig. 1985 Defender 110 pick up. Looking at maps and wondering if anyone has used the butler motorcycle maps? Forgive the errant post if this is answered elsewhere, i did not find them in a search of the posts.
Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
New to overland. Building rig. 1985 Defender 110 pick up. Looking at maps and wondering if anyone has used the butler motorcycle maps? Forgive the errant post if this is answered elsewhere, i did not find them in a search of the posts.
Thanks!
For all of the Backcountry Discovery Routes that I have done and they have helped create I have used their maps. GPS is still primary for me but they do an excellent job in the paper map department.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
How does scenic map do with no cell service
It's a standalone app so once you download it you'll never need cell or wifi. That's one of the things I prefer about it vs Gaia. The app is huge but if you're worried about storage space on your phone/tablet the maps are available in geographic sections. Like east, central, west, and Alaska.

Reactions: Travis Barker

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
It's a standalone app so once you download it you'll never need cell or wifi. That's one of the things I prefer about it vs Gaia. The app is huge but if you're worried about storage space on your phone/tablet the maps are available in geographic sections. Like east, central, west, and Alaska.
Oh, ok I'll have to check that app out.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Oh, ok I'll have to check that app out.
I presently use it with a Dual 150 external GPS but will switch to a Delorme unit at some point. Gaia is awesome in its own right as well. I'm happy having them both.

Reactions: Travis Barker

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have Gaia, used it a couple of times but have really had a chance to get out and really put it to good use. I also will be getting a Delorme soon

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Man I have used, Gaia, backcountry, leadnav, earth mate and now trx. I have yet to find one I really like.

My biggest complaint is having to download small sections at a time. I wish I could just download all of CA in full detail so that when I'm off grid I don't have to worry if I downloaded a certain section enough. I hate getting on a trail and trying to zoom in only to find out that I didn't download every detail.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
For those running Gaia, how much storage space do the maps take up? I just switched to a 64gb iPhone 7+ so I might run Gaia on it to try it out. I've been holding out until they add routing for Android since I can just store everything on SD cards but I really want to try this out.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I use Gaia on my IPAD Air 2 64gb. I have a few maps stored. I don't think they take up much space. I still have over half my space left and I have maps and lots more other stuff on it.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
So Update, I just looked and Gaia has used 3.15GB of space. I think I have about 15 maps downloaded and several tracks saved. Hope this helps.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Man I have used, Gaia, backcountry, leadnav, earth mate and now trx. I have yet to find one I really like.

My biggest complaint is having to download small sections at a time. I wish I could just download all of CA in full detail so that when I'm off grid I don't have to worry if I downloaded a certain section enough. I hate getting on a trail and trying to zoom in only to find out that I didn't download every detail.
Base detail maps on Earthmate can be downloaded for entire big areas. However, Topos are small sections.