Offical Piggy Bank Savings Thread

• HTML tutorial

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

So What are you saving for? We all know how expensive some parts can cost, so what are you saving money in your piggy bank for? RTT? Lift? Trailer? Maybe a whole new rig?
My piggy bank is trying to get fat enough for the Eezi-Awn Stealth Roof Top Tent. Luckily it's not available just yet.
rtt.PNG

Reactions: MrCoffee

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@McCannUSA

Just Bought a set of sliders, so saving for a lift and trying to decide what lift will be right for my needs.
After that there is a whole list of piggy bank worthy toys ....

Boort

Reactions: McCannUSA

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

@McCannUSA

Just Bought a set of sliders, so saving for a lift and trying to decide what lift will be right for my needs.
After that there is a whole list of piggy bank worthy toys ....

Boort
Nice! Chief Products are building a new set of sliders for Grand Cherokee's that I'm waiting on.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I really can't wait to get new gears and TrueTrac diffs for my 4runner! I drive like a grandma so it has never been an issue (I have literally not hit WOT in like 8 years :P ) . But, it would be nice both offroad and on the highway, as on anything but a perfectly level highway it gear-hunts terribly unless I wholly disable overdrive...

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Am saving up for new wheels and tires at the moment (7x17 +38 offset with 235/60-17 Toyo Open Country A/T) to replace the stock wheels and cheap 215/65-16 tires currently on my car.

Last edited:

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

the biggest problem for me is knowing when enough is enough.... When i bought my rig, i was getting about 20mpg. now with the lift, tires, roof rack, RTT, and whatever else ive added to it, im down to 15mpg. but i still want sliders, front and rear steel bumpers, arb awning. its hard to grow the piggy bank when everything you purchase comes at a weekly cost of fuel economy.20180331_183052.jpg

whtwolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cortez, Colorado
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Hebberd
Member #

Currently saving for way too much, including front and rear bumpers, a roof rack and lights. Total needed at this time is just shy of $4000, and that changes on a regular basis as I find new things to add. But, priority right now is a couple of mechanical issues that need attention.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
the biggest problem for me is knowing when enough is enough.... When i bought my rig, i was getting about 20mpg. now with the lift, tires, roof rack, RTT, and whatever else ive added to it, im down to 15mpg. but i still want sliders, front and rear steel bumpers, arb awning. its hard to grow the piggy bank when everything you purchase comes at a weekly cost of fuel economy.View attachment 53463

Most of that is loss is probably all the extra junk on the roof, but look on the bright side...all that overland street cred! lol

Seriously though, is that your DD? Maybe only mount the tent on the roof when heading out on trips?

And for the original post, I'm saving for a rig. Currently looking around, but every pay period I don't have one adds some money to the piggy bank.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm in the trailer market. I won't be building my own, so I'm trying to save about $7k for a CVT or Freespirit...

The trailer used to be on the "fantasy" tab of my vehicle build spreadsheet, but it's moved to the top with a bullet. Traveling with a kid (plus dogs) requires a substantial extra amount of crap, and her carseat alone takes up a huge amount of cargo space. We are technically able to fit everything (just barely), but it's a pain in the ass, and it takes a long time to get everything loaded and strapped down. By the time I'm done with the game of tetris, I'm usually pissed off and sweaty, and my wife really loves that. Needless to say, she's less keen to go camping for a night or two when she knows she'll have to suffer thru my bad attitude...

After that, undercarriage armor. After that, front bumper with winch, which may or may not require heavier shocks up front. After that, how about a snorkel, why not? After that...?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

All my pennies are getting scraped together to buy A house . Other than a few more minor repairs I need to take care of the rig is 100% ready to go whenever I need it. I mean I might have to make a rear bumper with a swing out and some sliders some better skid plates you know minor things, but all those things are much easier to accomplish when I'm not having a borrow space and other people's garages or shops

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I’ve got a simple, modest build I’m doing. Just got the roof rack done. Next two small projects include permanently mounting my CB antenna, then making a small storage area for the back end floor space for some gear I’d like to have locked up and out of sight so it can stay there full time (daily driver, so, you know.)

My big project is tires, suspension repairs and minor lift. I want to do it all at once, but it will be a bit of a bill when I get it done.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I am saving up for a lift for my JKU. Currently planning to buy the AEV 3.5" Dualsport RS lift. And with a new lift that means new 35" tires, which will require shiny (figuratively speaking) new black AEV Salta wheels. And to properly turn those new wheels & tires over will require regearing. Plus labor for someone far more skilled than I means I'll be laying out about $7k or so. But once I get all that sorted out, I should have all the major investments sorted.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
So What are you saving for? We all know how expensive some parts can cost, so what are you saving money in your piggy bank for? RTT? Lift? Trailer? Maybe a whole new rig?
My piggy bank is trying to get fat enough for the Eezi-Awn Stealth Roof Top Tent. Luckily it's not available just yet.
View attachment 53415
The list is something like this:
Brush guard for Escape
Nerd bars or sliders for Escape
Led light bar for Escape

Bed mount Toolbox for F150
Brush guard winch mount for F150
Winch for said F150 mount
LED light bar, fog lights and backup lights for F150

Of course these are both longer term projects, the Vette needs all new suspension first....

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

Most of that is loss is probably all the extra junk on the roof, but look on the bright side...all that overland street cred! lol

Seriously though, is that your DD? Maybe only mount the tent on the roof when heading out on trips?

And for the original post, I'm saving for a rig. Currently looking around, but every pay period I don't have one adds some money to the piggy bank.
yeah lift and tires took 2 miles, the rack to another 2 surprisingly(when I didn't have the light bar, it made an awful howling noise), and the tent took 1 more. its quite a bit of work to remove the tent and reinstall since I'm attempting to head out every weekend possible. gotta get your moneys worth out of it. I feel #XPOAF though some people think it looks weird and I'm hiding dead bodies up there.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Was saving for the back garden an house to be pained. We pained the house last weekend and first things for the garden are already bought.
As I will have some cash left over I'm ordering a new tent, fridge and some other bits and pieces soon :P

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

Mainly saving for a house at the moment...BUT

Also saving for a RRO roof rack kit for my Cherokee Trailhawk. I'm mainly looking for a more durable place to mount a RTT, etc.