Enthusiast I

Burlington, Vermont
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Hyde
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1DGT
So I want to plan a few day trip to Gorham New Hampshire and do some camping and Off Roading with the family. Looking for some trail Ideas I'm looking at a few forest roads up that way. My Problems are My wife would prefer a camp ground over wild camping and with a 2 year old that's probably wise. i don't want something too difficult as we are all new to off-roading all the rigs are stock Tacomas. thanks for any help.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

There are a few state and forest service campgrounds right there, but there will probably be snow on the ground this time of year. Most of the campgrounds will probably be closed. The closest one to Gorham is Dolly Copp, which is a campground but there are bears there frequently from what the ranger told me. I am not sure if that is too wild or not.

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

The other thing to keep in mind is a lot of service roads are closed for the winter. So be sure you check before you go.

Enthusiast I

Burlington, Vermont
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Hyde
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1DGT
sorry should have been clearer on the timeline its going to be late spring early summer. my Sister and i was supposed to go up that way the weekend before thanksgiving but we got hit with a foot of snow that day and i was told by the forest service the roads would be closed due to snow.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Ok that will make a difference. Here is a link to Dolly Copp, not sure when it opens.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whitemountain/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=74443&actid=29
And this one is for Barnes field.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232394
The two campgrounds are right next to each other at the bottom of Mt Washington just south of Gorham.
There are some places to hike in the area. I would also like to say to be prepared for all weather up there. I was up there July 4th weekend and it was cooler at night than I expected.