Off Road with AC?

• HTML tutorial

buz1nonly

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, CA
Member #

Anyone off road in the summer time with the AC on and windows closed? I've always had the windows open, but planning on my first trip with my daughter (1 year old) this summer. I think it would be a lot more comfortable for her with the AC on, since she always sweats in her car seat even in winter. The dog would be happy too.

Just wondering if anybody has overheated or run into problems.

Reactions: MRod77 and Zargon

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

I guess the short answer about overheating depends on the reliability and what aftermarket tuning you have on your car. In the summer we are regularly in the desert and mountains in temps in excess of 40C (104F) and have the AC running all the time.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
We have high 30's to mid 40"s (c) day in day out during summer and i run it all the time never had any problems

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I often run with the A/C on, and never ran into an issue despite the hot socal climate. I also haven't needed to turn it off while idling, and that's in a 22 year old truck (the a/c automatically kicks on the auxiliary fans on the radiator)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Made the mistake of running the air (not specifically the AC) last year (even though the windows were open) in the very dusty Alps. Sucked up so much dust into the system before the cabin filter. I'll probably have to get it professionally cleaned. After the trip, when I did turn it on, big puff of dust from all the vents. If it's dusty, I'd say keep system off
. My dash tells the dust story.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FJCRUZA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah
I did two days in Moab last year in 105 degree plus weather with windows up and AC on the whole time. No dust or cooling issues. Put the AC on max so it changes to recirculating automatically. This will minimalize dust intake.

FJ's have good cooling systems and the engine fan pulls lots of air. Your FJ should be fine as long as everything is functioning properly.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I thought going out in the wild was to exsperance the environment not armchair in front of a large TV? To me that's why I go out, I understand with a little one with you, but don't you want to be in Nature???

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Due to my work I am in some of the hottest places you can find and I run the AC all the time with no issues. When in 4 wheel I make sure to keep my automatic transmission in lowest gear setting so it won't overheat. That's generally where I find the issue 4 wheeling in extreme heat. I have been in Death Valley in 125+ temps with AC running full blast. Granted I am not doing any slow crawl, but no problems. Just make sure you cooling system is maintained properly.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I run ac on and recirculate. Gotta keep...my pups cool. I have already had my cabin filter changed as it gets clogged with trail dust.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We live in a dusty hot region of Canada (I know, hard to believe but true) Summer temps hit around 100*F or more and humidity is 0. I couldn't imagine off-roading without the windows closed and A/C on. Well actually, I don't have to imagine it. Prior to owning the Xterra, we owned a Jeep and thought it would be super awesome to go off-roading in the dead of summer without the top on. Made that mistake once, spent two hours cleaning dust from every nook and cranny of the Jeep and ourselves, and never ran topless in the summer dust again.
the only time I ever had vehicle overheating issues with the A/C on was pulling my travel trailer up and over the passes around Yakima in the middle of an August day a few years ago. We ended up running the heat at full blast with the windows down to keep the X from over-heating. After that trip a lot of maintenance and love was given to the cooling system and we never had the problem again.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

That is a problem running "Naked" No top or doors with a Jeep, Plus you seats fade real quick, Except for the Bartact seat covers. I will run without my Freedom Top ( some people call them "T" tops) but I still use a screen cover over my going bald head and to keep wifey happy....but dust does get into everything....

Reactions: Jeepney

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

I always run with the AC on and widows closed too. Never had an overheating problem on any of my vehicles (including desert and beach driving).

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I roll up the windows and turn on the AC to keep the dust out.