Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Congrats on the new trailer! I love mine!

For me it's been a constant tweaking, moding, re-tweaking, and re-moding adventure. I thought I was done December last year. Then I came up with a new idea, then another, then another... It's gotten so bad I think the manufacturer of the trailer thinks I'm nuts. My latest "mod" will be the most expensive and hopefully it works out without too many issues. The custom manufactured pieces will be here mid April and I'll put them all together and hope for the best. The wife thinks I'm nuts too. I just tell her I have to have a hobby and tweaking my overlanding setup is my obsession. In the end it all benefits both of us. Me keeping busy and for her making our overlanding adventures more comfortable.

-Curtiss

NW Adventure & Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Service Branch
Army - Former
Congrats on the new trailer! I love mine!

For me it's been a constant tweaking, moding, re-tweaking, and re-moding adventure. I thought I was done December last year. Then I came up with a new idea, then another, then another... It's gotten so bad I think the manufacturer of the trailer thinks I'm nuts. My latest "mod" will be the most expensive and hopefully it works out without too many issues. The custom manufactured pieces will be here mid April and I'll put them all together and hope for the best. The wife thinks I'm nuts too. I just tell her I have to have a hobby and tweaking my overlanding setup is my obsession. In the end it all benefits both of us. Me keeping busy and for her making our overlanding adventures more comfortable.

-Curtiss
Thanks and I hear ya on the obsession, I'm the same way.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Sweet rig! I am bit by the off-road teardrop bug as well. I purchased a half-built project and have been spending ALL of my spare time in the garage finishing it out. I am hopeful to have it completed for a planned trip in late April. As far as features/mods, I am starting simple, but similar to the other comments, I doubt that I will be satisfied with the basics. Right now the wallet empty of mad-money, so I will have to settle for the basics. I will keep an eye what you guys are doing to get some future ideas.

NW Adventure & Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Service Branch
Army - Former
Sweet rig! I am bit by the off-road teardrop bug as well. I purchased a half-built project and have been spending ALL of my spare time in the garage finishing it out. I am hopeful to have it completed for a planned trip in late April. As far as features/mods, I am starting simple, but similar to the other comments, I doubt that I will be satisfied with the basics. Right now the wallet empty of mad-money, so I will have to settle for the basics. I will keep an eye what you guys are doing to get some future ideas.
Hey, a little info. you may already know. Make sure, if you have a rear kitchen hatch like most tear drops, that you install a real good gasket or seal of some kind around the hatch. Many of the tear drops develop leaks around that hatch and they begin to rot in the rear floor corners. when shopping we looked at a few used ones and all had rot in the back, so we went new. Mine has a lip that goes around the perimeter of the hatch to prevent water from leaking in around the sides. Good luck on your build, and post some pictures, love to see how it turns out!

Reactions: FireMedicPQ1

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Hey, a little info. you may already know. Make sure, if you have a rear kitchen hatch like most tear drops, that you install a real good gasket or seal of some kind around the hatch. Many of the tear drops develop leaks around that hatch and they begin to rot in the rear floor corners. when shopping we looked at a few used ones and all had rot in the back, so we went new. Mine has a lip that goes around the perimeter of the hatch to prevent water from leaking in around the sides. Good luck on your build, and post some pictures, love to see how it turns out!
Thanks for the heads-up. This is my worry. I have been doing some research and have been doing a lot of planning in my head as to my approach for the hatch. I spoke to the nice folks at Vintage Technologies and ordered some gasket material to provide a seal. I also have the T-molding to go on the edge of the hatch and the hurricane hinge. Still, I need to be careful in assuring a good seal. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

As noted above, modding these things becomes an obsession. I just finished reconfiguring our awning and side room setup after our last longer trip. I also purchased a fairly inexpensive Bus Depot awning for our next trip. One thing we learned, when it rains everyday, all day for 7 days straight having dry areas to sit/eat/relax in is important. The little awnings we had on both sides of the trailer just didn't cut it. We should be able to attach one side of the new Bus Depot awning to the roof rack and then extend it out using the provided poles giving us an 8'x11' area in addition to our small awnings. So, you might think about a rack and awning setup or a large easy up.

-Curtiss

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

like your tear drop. I built mine with 6 to 8 months of planning before I even started on it. I asked myself about what type of camping I will be doing mostly. Dispersed camping. I wanted a trailer w\o shortline power, a trailer that was 100% off grid. The 6 to 8 months of planning was also on a reliable energy efficient solar system by a good company. Then I had to figure if I wanted my solar permanently mounted or portable. I chosen portable. My build took 9 1\2 months and the items & gear I wanted fits me & the wife perfectly & proficiently. I built my trailer to fit my wife & I's needs only. We have some modern convenience's like Engel 12v. fridg\freez, good safe heating system, hot shower system, a pretty good A\C unit which all of these are powered from 12v & or both propane. If I can give one piece of advise to you, don't feel rush on gear or equipment, research a lot on the internet, call the companies & explain what your needs are. You will find here on this forum or others than taste or brands, size will be different from one member to another, whether it is the type of camping they do, awnings, stoves, solar systems, 12v fridg\freez's, coolers, batteries or battery, toilets, shower systems, privacy shelters to RRT's. Fit it to your needs & what your pocket book can afford.