First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I got my Technician’s license a couple years ago. Bought a 2M/70cm radio. I generally use 2M since it’s what overlanders use. i run a Tram 1181 which is great for the woods, short enough to avoid breakage, long enough to get good distance.

I’m curious what antenna y’all are using off-road for 2M or 2M/70cm radios that might give longer range? I’m not sure if I should attach a plate to my fiberglass roof to get a ground plane. Currently the Tram 1181 is attached to the driver side cowl on my Jeep JL.IMG_8463.jpegIMG_6484.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have both a Browning BR-180b dual band and a Larsen NMO150b.
The Browning is a dual band but with the enclosed coil it does move around a bit.
The Larsen NM150b 2m antenna is a 5/8 wave so it is longer but can bend.
1000001061.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I got my Technician’s license a couple years ago. Bought a 2M/70cm radio. I generally use 2M since it’s what overlanders use. i run a Tram 1181 which is great for the woods, short enough to avoid breakage, long enough to get good distance.

I’m curious what antenna y’all are using off-road for 2M or 2M/70cm radios that might give longer range? I’m not sure if I should attach a plate to my fiberglass roof to get a ground plane. Currently the Tram 1181 is attached to the driver side cowl on my Jeep JL.View attachment 274029View attachment 274030
If you’re looking to mount on your fiberglass roof, a half wave antenna will work without a ground plane. Adding a ground plane will improve performance, but isn’t necessary. I’ve used a Larsen, now Pulse, 2m half wave vertical for 35 years on many rigs. They take a bit of hunting to find, because everyone is conditioned to use a 5/8 wave.

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
I too have the Larsen NMO 2m/70cm antenna on my 4Runner and Dodge Ram. It’s been a great antenna.

hrichard

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger III

Camden, DE, USA
First Name
HARRY
Last Name
RICHARD
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UVV
I’m running the same 5/8 wave, but in a knockoff flavor because of the high probability of it being broken. I have the Larson as well, Nanovna as well as signal reports seem identical for the 2, so the 20 dollar clone got its spot on the back driver corner of the disco. The wife’s JKU just has one of those short mag mount antennas with the attached coax stuck to the cowl for use with a handheld, as she doesn’t want a permanent radio mount in her rig

laylow

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Smith
Baofeng UV-5r on a mount on my center console, hooked to a Tram dualband antenna on my roof rack. Can't remember which model. I've also got a Midland MXT275 GMRS.