Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
Hello everyone,

My name is Carter, as you well know. I'm 24. I'm an avid overlander/off-roader/sailor/climber/camper/mountain biker/engineer/ I could go on forever.
I live in a RV near the Canadian boarder with 2 house plants and soon planning to get a dog.
I have a few friends, some very close, others not so much. A mom and dad in south Texas who live on a boat who I always call and reach out to any chance I get.
I have a lot. Yet, I'm still lonely. I know this isn't really the place to talk much, but I have serious question for this community that is avoided I think more than it should be.

What do you do when you are alone deep in the woods and start to drift into a loneliness state?
Why does the wilderness have such a massive loneliness factor but yet keeps us fulfilled even if we are loss deeper than we ever gone?

I feel like most of this world I am still figuring out. But one big question I cannot seem to solve is this very one.

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
Most of overlanding can be chocked-up to adventures alone, no need for people when the whole idea is based on isolation?

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
On a good day it makes you wonder what people actually see when they leave their home to do things , do they see the beauty of nature, feel the warm sun or a cold brisk morning on their cheeks, do they know what a blessing all the beauty that surrounds us is. I sometimes feel sad for those people.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Not sure I can help, by nature I like solitude and never feel lonely as in missing companionship. But I know most of my land rover group who also solo have a dog or do short trips 2 or 3 days, most of them were surprised that I did 8 days by myself and was content.

I read a lot, walk, fish and do a fair bit of photography so my mind is usually busy. I also tend to be looking/observing all the time even when driving, this one is hard to explain by my mind never really stops. I was an armored reconnaissance soldier for a long time, so I habitually scan ground, pick up landmarks and look for things, these days critters, old ruins etc

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
Not sure I can help, by nature I like solitude and never feel lonely as in missing companionship. But I know most of my land rover group who also solo have a dog or do short trips 2 or 3 days, most of them were surprised that I did 8 days by myself and was content.

I read a lot, walk, fish and do a fair bit of photography so my mind is usually busy. I also tend to be looking/observing all the time even when driving, this one is hard to explain by my mind never really stops. I was an armored reconnaissance soldier for a long time, so I habitually scan ground, pick up landmarks and look for things, these days critters, old ruins etc
Marine Corp Recon here, I can relate it is sometimes bad like in a public crowded place but out in the wild it’s awesome to look and see what most never have the opportunity to

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy

I like that. Keep the mind rolling! I'm an aviation mechanical engineer for the Navy. I tinker more than I should. But that I can agree with, Keep the mind rolling.

Companionship is hard when things get lonely and the mind gets tired. Just the thought of no plan and no idea what will happen tomorrow excites me! But sometimes it might not be enough.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
I get bored and lonely after a few days alone too. My wife isn't interested in overloading, and I haven't successfully negotiated a deal to get a dog I can bring in the house yet.

So, I plan ahead and post trips here. I usually get a few takers and have people to meet and chat with.

Reactions: DintDobbs and Burly

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Burly I often find myself in the same situation, particularly post-breakup (used to share pics from my outings with the GF).

There is the constant motivation to explore and discover, but there is also a yearning to share the experience. And it isn't to share thoughts and observations post-experience, it is to share the feelings and thought processes with some one, or your group (even if it is just you and your dog!), AS you discover new things and places together.

Shortly after God placed Adam on the earth, he observed that it was not good for a singular human to be constantly alone (Genesis 2:18). We humans require social interactions and more importantly, PERSONAL social interactions.

These forums are a great place to find like-minded people, but the best thing you can do is find a gal who wants to ride shotgun and yack about random crap while you wheel. It's good for you.

Cheers!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Moment4Life They're more common than you'd expect, the only issue (for them!) is that they usually don't want to waste the time and money working on their own rig. You take them out in your rig, they get to go wheeling for free - win for you, win for them!

Not to detract from @Burly 's point, though. Trust me, guy, we all go through it.

Reactions: Burly

Moment4Life

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Cross
@Burly I often find myself in the same situation, particularly post-breakup (used to share pics from my outings with the GF).

There is the constant motivation to explore and discover, but there is also a yearning to share the experience. And it isn't to share thoughts and observations post-experience, it is to share the feelings and thought processes with some one, or your group (even if it is just you and your dog!), AS you discover new things and places together.

Shortly after God placed Adam on the earth, he observed that it was not good for a singular human to be constantly alone (Genesis 2:18). We humans require social interactions and more importantly, PERSONAL social interactions.

These forums are a great place to find like-minded people, but the best thing you can do is find a gal who wants to ride shotgun and yack about random crap while you wheel. It's good for you.

Cheers!
AMEN I just read that the other night

Reactions: Burly

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
I get bored and lonely after a few days alone too. My wife isn't interested in overloading, and I haven't successfully negotiated a deal to get a dog I can bring in the house yet.

So, I plan ahead and post trips here. I usually get a few takers and have people to meet and chat with.
Ive been on a trip with you, we need to go again!

Reactions: OTH Overland

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy

Cheers!
Thats heart felt. thank you!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Burly Upon closer inspection, I actually ignored your question in the OP.

When lonely in the wilderness, some times I get out and walk around, and take in the small details. I don't know if you're religious, but I find these lonesome outings to bring me to a closer relationship with God. The ground, the plants, the animals, and physics to govern all of it, are a truly awesome and incomprehensible mechanism of natural recycling. I pray often on solo outings. Solo reminds me of how good the physical world really is when oblivious and ignorant people (and dealing with them) aren't making it mentally strenuous. Go with a pal who feels the same, and you're sure to have some really good conversations.

And I think that the sense of fulfillment even in the face of loneliness comes from observing and participating in the meaningful cycles and systems of nature.

Finding a baby tree growing up out of the dirt, not planted by human hands; hearing the sharp cry of a fox in the night; watching the sun rise over the mountains in the fog; these are things that cannot be recorded by cameras and microphones. You really do have to be there.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Just wait until you get in relationships and situations with people and wish you could be alone! The drama can be energy draining. Be careful what you wish for! Even with my best friends I seem to spend a day or two with and I seek the high lonesome again. Could be a little selfish in that respect. After a full work life dealing with the public and a couple of divorces that were not that dramatic but not fun either, I rather like my alone time. I drove 7K miles and up and around the Rockies for a couple of months last year and never turned on the radio.
Sought out the isolated areas with few people. It seems more fun to talk to strangers sometimes. I have an on-going internal dialog that keeps me occupied and don't really ever get bored. I like to read and that focuses my mind so I fall asleep. Learned that in school. Never stayed up late studying but got good sleep! I spent a lot of my youth hanging out, playing ball, drinking beer, etc. with friends and that was good too. Many different stages to life. Learn to adapt. Take advantages of the opportunities. Learn to hone and trust you instincts. Don't fear the unknown but prepare for it. Don't take any wooden nickels and don't trust whitey! LOL

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have 4 posted
2 in Oregon, 2 in California
Aaron, long time no see! Michelle & I had a great time adventuring with you last summer on the WABDR!, hope we will see you on a trip or two this year. We have our weekday vacation time scheduled for the year so can't make the longer trips you plan, but perhaps a three day weekend adventure, will be looking at the 1-3 stages of WABDR sometime this year..

Reactions: Burly and a12houk