Off Grid Trailers - Expedition and Pando 2.0 The Ultimate Rugged Overland Off-Road Off Grid teardrop Trailer to Escape

• HTML tutorial

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
You might be able to DIY something with the rear receiver but it is pretty hidden under the trailers. There are some tire swing outs available but I would have to hunt for a name. Then of course that could be in the way of the rear door.

Finding a way to put an XO Jack on the front for mobility reasons would be a big improvement. I did a DIY solution on my Turtleback with the same factory receiver but there was way too much play. So that is a no go. I need to find a way to bolt one on the tongue. They make moving a trailer with a higher tongue weight easy.
I just picked up my Off Grid Expedition 2.0 on the first, 2021. Randy at LeadDog was able to attach the XO jack for me. It’s awesome.

Reactions: 1Louder

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
I’ve probably done the most modifications or close to it. Most are very minor tweaks like additional lighting and power outlets. They are great trailers.

My latest modifications were to add a power port in the kitchen area and a spare tire mount on the roof rack. The power port is a BlueSea 4.8a version. This will allow you to charge an iPad with the screen on if need be. I am also going to swap one of the factory ports in the cabin for this large amp version.

View attachment 132833

The spare tire factory mount is in the front but this gives me more room for the FJ swing out door. Also since all my rims and tires match I won’t always take the 2nd spare other than for deep backcountry trips or down to Mexico.
View attachment 132834
I still have to mount this.

View attachment 132835
Spare tire mount was originally for my Warrior Roof Rack. You can see my other modifications on my website.
Nice mods. I’m only a few weeks into my new one but I have several mods in mind. Would love to hear about more of yours. I think my first one is to get the trasharoo to fit around my spare on the tongue mount. It is too tight against the box.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nice mods. I’m only a few weeks into my new one but I have several mods in mind. Would love to hear about more of yours. I think my first one is to get the trasharoo to fit around my spare on the tongue mount. It is too tight against the box.
Not sure how to solve that one. What I would not do is add washers or some other type of way to create space between the tire and trailer box wall. That might cause stress to the mount. Since I don't have a spare on the front of my trailer it is hard for me to offer suggestions. The only thing I could see doing is loosen the mount, pass the straps behind the tire and then tighten the mount. Since the straps are so thing that would cause minimal impact. I have a larger bag from Blueridge Overland Gear and have been thinking about trying to run the straps through the rack holes in front and then securing to the frame bars. I just haven't tried anything yet. My smaller generic trash bag is mounted that way at the moment. I used a bungee cord to keep it from bouncing around while moving.

ruralpunk

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Nelson, BC, Canada
First Name
Gretchen
Last Name
nottellingyou
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7KTF
Service Branch
BCEHS Paramedic
I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Expedition 2.0. I have a concern and I created this account just to ask you fine folks. when pulling with a JL rubi, how bad is the sag? What about with an aftermarket suspension? (obviously i know it would depend on the suspension, looking at either the Teraflex or AEV 2.5", but curious about your experiences) Some jeeps I've seen have sagged to the point where it looks dangerous.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on a Expedition 2.0. I have a concern and I created this account just to ask you fine folks. when pulling with a JL rubi, how bad is the sag? What about with an aftermarket suspension? (obviously i know it would depend on the suspension, looking at either the Teraflex or AEV 2.5", but curious about your experiences) Some jeeps I've seen have sagged to the point where it looks dangerous.
Have two people weighing around 300lbs in total stand on your bumper and you will know. That’s the tongue weight of the trailer. It is all very dependent on what springs you have. You need heavy duty springs that can take a lot of weight, including whatever is in your Jeep, and a trailer. Air bags are an option to. I’m not a fan of them but I know lots of people love them. It doesn’t matter if you have $5 shocks or Icon Stage 1 Millionbillion zillion.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
We tow an old military trailer and have the AEV 2.5" suspension and air bags. The issue with running a really heavy spring for towing is when you aren't towing, your ride quality will suffer. I like the airbags as I can dial in the additional lift when needed, and we've had zero issues with them on or off the trail, and no problem with articulation on more challenging trails.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Have two people weighing around 300lbs in total stand on your bumper and you will know. That’s the tongue weight of the trailer. It is all very dependent on what springs you have. You need heavy duty springs that can take a lot of weight, including whatever is in your Jeep, and a trailer. Air bags are an option to. I’m not a fan of them but I know lots of people love them. It doesn’t matter if you have $5 shocks or Icon Stage 1 Millionbillion zillion.
Your saying the tongue weight of the off grid trailers is 600 pounds?

ruralpunk

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Nelson, BC, Canada
First Name
Gretchen
Last Name
nottellingyou
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7KTF
Service Branch
BCEHS Paramedic
That's a good point about shocks. It's really the springs that matter in this situation. Happen to know anyone who makes HD springs for a JL?

My next question is about heating. I'm up in Canada, and I LOVE getting out in the winter. I know propane sucks at colder temps. Have you or anyone had experience using the heater at lower temps (say...0°F) Have you heard of anyone installing a Wabasto?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I recommend to all my Jeep Owners to add a .75" spring spacer to the rear of the jeep to level back out! Aftermarket lift kits are designed to level out the factory rake in a vehicle. and adding the coil spacer make it ride level again!
When I completely re-did my rear suspension I went with the Old man emu 3.5" w/overload leaf. My old r-suspension was shot and when I packed for trips it was sagging a lot. Unfortunately the new set-up isn't near as smooth as I'd like it to be. But knowing I would some day be towing a trailer I don't mind.

Reactions: ruralpunk

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
Not sure how to solve that one. What I would not do is add washers or some other type of way to create space between the tire and trailer box wall. That might cause stress to the mount. Since I don't have a spare on the front of my trailer it is hard for me to offer suggestions. The only thing I could see doing is loosen the mount, pass the straps behind the tire and then tighten the mount. Since the straps are so thing that would cause minimal impact. I have a larger bag from Blueridge Overland Gear and have been thinking about trying to run the straps through the rack holes in front and then securing to the frame bars. I just haven't tried anything yet. My smaller generic trash bag is mounted that way at the moment. I used a bungee cord to keep it from bouncing around while moving.
Thanks 1Louder. I did ended up with your 2nd suggestion and loosened the spare enough to get the straps in. I had to readjust the buckles to all land above the tire but it worked. Now that the spare is re tightened, it’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: 1Louder

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
Do you have the Max Coupler? I’m about to extend mine out for more clearance between the trailer spare and my Land Cruiser spare on the back of my Slee bumper. The photo is factory. Randy mentioned another 8” avail.

Attachments

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
NICE !! That's the wrap I was going to pick but I had an opportunity to grab a black one that was a canceled order. I'm fine with it but, just to be way too vain, I wanted the topo lines 'cause they match my gold :/ 100 series. Love your 80 series. I'm thinking you could use a little more tongue length for your rig too. I'm planning to pull it out a bit. Might need to drill another hole.
I've been working on outfitting it with containers and supplies. Here's a few pics from my pilot retreat last mo:...
tempImageK4UJQs.pngtempImageXZgwH7.pngtempImagewHx71h.png

Last edited:

JJsanchez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Juan
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6BAY
NICE !! That's the wrap I was going to pick but I had an opportunity to grab a black one that was a canceled order. I'm fine with it but, just to be way too vain, I wanted the topo lines 'cause they match my gold :/ 100 series. Love your 80 series. I'm thinking you could use a little more tongue length for your rig too. I'm planning to pull it out a bit. Might need to drill another hole.
I've been working on outfitting it with containers and supplies. Here's a few pics from my pilot retreat last mo:...
View attachment 188543View attachment 188572View attachment 188545
Sweet setup you got there. I like the all black too! I might take the spare off the trailer and throw it on the top of the trailer towards the back. Not sure yet but it is close on full jackknife

Last edited:

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
Sweet set you got there. I like the all black too! I might take the spare off the trailer and throw it on the top of the trailer towards the back. Not sure yet but it is close on full jackknife
That makes sense. It would give you plenty of space for sharp switchbacks, assuming you can give up the roof rack space. I opted for the tent as a guest room/nap space. Those options added up quickly.

Was the place in your pics Canyon Sin Nombre in Anza Borrego? Looks just like it. I was there about 11 months ago as Covid was ramping up.

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
We tow an old military trailer and have the AEV 2.5" suspension and air bags. The issue with running a really heavy spring for towing is when you aren't towing, your ride quality will suffer. I like the airbags as I can dial in the additional lift when needed, and we've had zero issues with them on or off the trail, and no problem with articulation on more challenging trails.
I had the same issue with my previous trailer at 500' tongue weight with heavy duty Ironman springs. I'm on a 100 series Land Cruiser so it's probably a little different. After some trial and error (and money) I finally landed the plane with the Tough Dog Progressive springs. They are amazing because they change tension as they compress. I also put air bags in them and I can have the great ride when empty PLUS no sags me' lady. I sold that trailer and picked up the OGT Exp 2 last month so at 300' tongue it's a breeze. I only put 20-30 lbs of pressure in them if at all. In my experience, leveling out is a must for safety reasons. Love my OGT!

Reactions: dstock and 1Louder

JJsanchez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Juan
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6BAY
That makes sense. It would give you plenty of space for sharp switchbacks, assuming you can give up the roof rack space. I opted for the tent as a guest room/nap space. Those options added up quickly.

Was the place in your pics Canyon Sin Nombre in Anza Borrego? Looks just like it. I was there about 11 months ago as Covid was ramping up.
No plans for a tent yet. The trail was in DV called Titus Canyon I believe.

Reactions: Voiceness

Voiceness

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cypress, Ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mitchell
No plans for a tent yet. The trail was in DV called Titus Canyon I believe.
Does your mattress have the option to be converted into a sofa? I had a hard time getting it to work and found that there was a mistake on some of the covers that didn't allow it to function correctly. They were great about replacing it and now it works great. It was a bit of a wrestle to get it out and swapped but worth it. You may want to give it a try while it's relatively new.