Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

Looks like October 27-29 will be the date for the fall Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian.

This time we have some very diverse projects, one of which is to help identify and catalog the hundreds of dispersed campsites they have identified. This has project has been hanging for some time but hopefully it will come together for this TG event.
@Narbob @TOMB @Waltzing Matilda JT @Sylvester @AlexAtWagan @Firemom @Magic Mike @Michael @Corrie
Count me in , any excuse to run out to the desert…..especially when working to help keep it accessible…..looking forward to the RP info.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I'm back in. Got meds straight and truck ready. I might have some items for the raffle Saturday. Will be looking for that rally point

Reactions: AzzyRnr

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Think I can make this TG event. Will be waiting for the rally point.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Octobers Trail Guardian Event in the Mojave is going to be a little more complicated to sign up for.

There will be two Rally Points, one for a three day dispersed campsite location and logging mission and one to install boundary signs with a no Side By Side information on them. The second RP one will also be for a track erasing project on the Soda Lake.

Everyone will still be in camp together on Saturday October 28th for the raffle. Base camp location has not been established yet, we are still waiting on some additional information from NPS.

I hope to get everything together for these two RP's by early next week.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian Rally Points.

Project #1
Project #2

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I’ll be back in the country on the 17th. Will I be able to go on this trip? If so, I’m all in. Where can I find details?

Thanks CB
Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian Rally Points.

Project #1
US West - Project #1 Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian, October 2023
Project #1 Mojave National Preserve, we will us a data base NPS will provide to find and catalogue all designated dispersed campsites in the Preserve. (approximately 600 but 10% have been done) PLEASE SIGN UP FOR ONLY ONE OF THE TWO RALLY POINTS #1 OR #2 View Rally Point
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com
Project #2
US West - Project #2 Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian, October 2023
Project #2 Mojave National Preserve, We will install new NPS boundry signs that will have a No Side By Side sign on them. We will also help erase illegal tracks on the Soda Lake. Possibility for us to assist with planting Joshua Trees in the burn are on Cima Dome. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR ONLY ONE...
www.overlandbound.com
www.overlandbound.com

Michael_Exploder

Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

Octobers Trail Guardian Event in the Mojave is going to be a little more complicated to sign up for.

There will be two Rally Points, one for a three day dispersed campsite location and logging mission and one to install boundary signs with a no Side By Side information on them. The second RP one will also be for a track erasing project on the Soda Lake.

Everyone will still be in camp together on Saturday October 28th for the raffle. Base camp location has not been established yet, we are still waiting on some additional information from NPS.

I hope to get everything together for these two RP's by early next week.
Thanks Kent for all the energy You are putting into this…..

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Details will be messaged to the RSVP lists next week.
Project #1 is basically full. Remember this is a multi day event with some long travel days.
Project #2 could use a little more help. A couple of members from the Las Vegas crew will be helping plant Joshua Trees in the Cima Burn area.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
FYI, the spring Mojave Trail Guardian will be March 21-24, 2024

To keep updated on this and all Trail Guardian events please watch this page;
1699456948472.png

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well another Mojave Trail Guardian is in the books and I must say it was the most ambitious and successful one to date. 46 members signed the volunteer roster.

Project #1, the plan was to treat this project like an overland trip over a couple of days, getting people out in teams to survey for dispersed camping sites. The teams were challenged by the app and data file provided by NPS but everyone adapted and made it work. 346 sites were recorded and downloaded into the NPS database.
Project #2, concentrated on replacing boundary signs around the preserve, these signs targeted illegal side by side use in the preserve. Once again the teams were challenged by data provided by NPS but in the end it was a success. Now if the side by side community will pay attention is another story.
Project #3, was to plant Joshua Trees in the Dome Fire burn scar, this is an ongoing project that our Las Vegas group has been working on diligently.

Saturday night we had a great presentation by Dave Nichols, Park Archaeologist. Dave is a huge supporter of our work in the preserve and a good friend of Overland Bound.
The raffle went off great, we had several members who donated items plus all the great swag from Overland Bound, the grand prize was a Gazelle tent

Our next event will be in April, exact date TBD.

Thank you everyone for all your hard work, you are Trail Guardian