Octanejunkie's Overland 99 4runner SR5 Sport

• HTML tutorial

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

This is my build/ownership and adventure thread of my 1999 2WD 4runner SR5 Sport that's both my daily driver and my off-road/overland rig.

I originally joined the toyota-4runner.org forum to get help with a few repairs but eventually the mod-bug bit me and I’ve been upgrading my truck and doing all required maintenance with the help of the awesome community there. Christmas 2017 I was gifted an overland bound membership by a T4R member and my interest in off-roading/overlanding my truck became real. So without too much adieu, this is how it looked when I got it in June of 2011 with 67K miles for $6,000

Here it is in April 2018 at 263K miles

Mods/Specs as it sits now:

Suspension & Brakes:

Bilstien Tundra Shocks BSN-24-261425 front
Used 99 "Tall" OEM springs on 3rd notch (upgrade to Toytec/Eibach 112-620 springs pending)
Stock calipers painted red (adds 5 HP)
1.25” wheel spacers up front
LC 8-wrap springs with Toytec NGTR-4R shocks (rear)
Moog K80380 Sway Bar End Links, front (95 4runner)

Wheels/Tires:

Factory Tundra/Sequoia 17” (it came w/the 5-Stars) wheels
265/70r17 General Grabbers, 10-ply E Load Range
Stock spare with 265/75r16 tire (factory original)

Drivetrain:

5VZ-FE 3.4L V6
5W-30 full synthetic oil with WIX 51348XP synthetic filter
A340E automatic transmission w/Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle trans fluid
Aussie Locker XD-24930 with factory 4.1 gears/carrier
85-140W conventional gear oil in rear diff

Electrical:

Exide Extreme FX Battery - Group 24F

Appearance Mods:

ARB 3423020 Bumper
Smitybilt SMT-97495 winch (install pending)
Harbor Freight D-ring shackles
Satoshi Grille
Removed all body emblems/badges
Clear Corner Lenses w/Orange LED Bulbs

Lighting:

Retrofit DDM D2S V1 3” projectors w/35watt 5000K
Panamera V1 Shrouds w/Cree LED Halo Rings wired to side markers
PIAA 5291 85-Watt Crystal Ion 6” Fog Lamps
Projector LED Rear Reverse Lamps
LED license plate bulbs
QDY 21 Inch 100W Single Row Led Light bar CREE LEDs Spot Flood Combo (under front bumper)
Aux Nilight 18W 1260lm 4” backup lights
All LED internal bulbs

Miscellaneous:

Extended Rear Brake hose
Tru-Cool LPD 4454 Aux Transmission Cooler
WeatherTech front mats, Tan
Hardwired DBPOWER 2.7" Dash Cam, 120° Wide Angle 1080P Dash Cam
Single DIN Pioneer BT headunit with hardwired mic at map light
Antenna mod (switched)

First, a little backstory...

I’ve always been a truck guy and bought a new 1993 standard shift 4WD Nissan Pathfinder in 1992. in 1996 I bought a 1959 Chevy Apache 3100 1/2 Ton Stepside to restro-mod which has been a 20+ year project truck and has gone through several builds, it currently has an all new drivetrain (350, 700R4, 4.10 posi rear) as well as EFI and "just needs" paint, body and interior to be done, easily another 10K to finish it. In 2000 I got married and in 2002 bought a 99 Chevy Tahoe to replace the Pathfinder, this was a big mistake. I sold the Pathfinder for $2700 and have regretted it ever since. The Tahoe was crap and the wife wanted it in the divorce, so good riddance to both. I drove a work truck for a few years but wanted another SUV, specifically a sporty one and I had always loved 4runners.

In summer 2011 I started looking for used 4runners and test drove plenty of them, my criteria were Sport model (had to have the hood scoop) with cloth interior and I was open to standard shift but favored automatic and was again open to either 2WD or 4WD. When I saw the truck I now own I knew right away I wanted it. Single owner, low miles, Jade Mica Green and pretty darn good condition with no issues - all the other ones had some “but it needs” with no break in price. I bought it on the spot, and after some back and forth between Washington state DMV and California DMV the truck was registered in my name, and my journey began.

Reactions: Chadlyb

octanejunkie

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

Pilot Rock Truck Trail wheeling with LC 8-wraps
Last weekend of April 2018 we did the Pilot Rock Truck Trail 2N33 from hwy 173 just outside Arrowhead to Silverwood Lake off hwy 138. Most all write ups will have you enter from Silverwood 138, we did it in reverse since we started from Lake Arrowhead.

This is basically a beginner-rated fire road that goes over the SanBerdu mountains with lots of off-shoots, called Open Routes, of varying difficulty. The trail was desolate when we entered it around noon from a turn off near the end of 173 (southern closure) and quickly becomes something that a standard 2WD vehicle would not be comfortable on. The added ground clearance of my lift and 17" rims with 285s made the trail completely manageable for my 2WD. That is not to say there aren't "expert" sections that are steep and narrow that I opted not to try without armor and a buddy vehicle or two lol

As we got closer to Silverwood, around the 2N36 intersection, the trail started getting crowded and once we got to the lake shore banks it was packed with locals who come up for the semi-secluded beaches. The interesting thing about Silverwood is that it is a reservoir that the LA Aqueduct dumps into with a hydroelectric plant on 138 as the water passes out enroute to exit near CSU San Berdu. With a few stops along the way for views and to hike a few trail sections, we spent about 2 hours going 11.5 miles on dirt.

Our initial plan was to make a loop out of taking 138 back to 173, then the dirt section of 173 back to Arrowhead but that road was hard closed in 2010 lol unbeknownst to me (good research dude) so we ended up taking the rural, alpine-zone roads back to 18 and 173 to Arrowhead, which was really pretty too.

Here are a few pics

Pilot Rock

First view of Silverwood Lake

Geezer videos

Overall the LC coils did well and raising the rear of the vehicle added to my exit angle from dips resulting in zero tail dabs. Next suspension mod, front coils.

Next armor mods, skids and sliders.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Pilot Rock Truck Trail wheeling with LC 8-wraps
Last weekend of April 2018 we did the Pilot Rock Truck Trail 2N33 from hwy 173 just outside Arrowhead to Silverwood Lake off hwy 138. Most all write ups will have you enter from Silverwood 138, we did it in reverse since we started from Lake Arrowhead.

This is basically a beginner-rated fire road that goes over the SanBerdu mountains with lots of off-shoots, called Open Routes, of varying difficulty. The trail was desolate when we entered it around noon from a turn off near the end of 173 (southern closure) and quickly becomes something that a standard 2WD vehicle would not be comfortable on. The added ground clearance of my lift and 17" rims with 285s made the trail completely manageable for my 2WD. That is not to say there aren't "expert" sections that are steep and narrow that I opted not to try without armor and a buddy vehicle or two lol

As we got closer to Silverwood, around the 2N36 intersection, the trail started getting crowded and once we got to the lake shore banks it was packed with locals who come up for the semi-secluded beaches. The interesting thing about Silverwood is that it is a reservoir that the LA Aqueduct dumps into with a hydroelectric plant on 138 as the water passes out enroute to exit near CSU San Berdu. With a few stops along the way for views and to hike a few trail sections, we spent about 2 hours going 11.5 miles on dirt.

Our initial plan was to make a loop out of taking 138 back to 173, then the dirt section of 173 back to Arrowhead but that road was hard closed in 2010 lol unbeknownst to me (good research dude) so we ended up taking the rural, alpine-zone roads back to 18 and 173 to Arrowhead, which was really pretty too.

Here are a few pics

Pilot Rock

First view of Silverwood Lake

Geezer videos

Overall the LC coils did well and raising the rear of the vehicle added to my exit angle from dips resulting in zero tail dabs. Next suspension mod, front coils.

Next armor mods, skids and sliders.
Definitely recommend RCI Armor ...just did my Tacoma front to back and their sliders...

Reactions: octanejunkie