Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

Looking for advice on a visit to the OBX this coming March. Planning on camping (all off grid) and no planned agenda or timeframe.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Looking for advice on a visit to the OBX this coming March. Planning on camping (all off grid) and no planned agenda or timeframe.
No matter where you go be prepared for some wind. I was up there in November and first few days were calm. Then a front moved through and about 10 pm the wind got up and...it was a long night in my RTT. I had a better plan to tie things down but I got a little lax. Luckily, I had put away chairs, etc. that would have blown away. Depending on where exactly you plan to go you may need to purchase a permit to drive on the beach. The Cape Lookout National Seashore area allows camping on the beach. One needs to take a ferry that is fairly expensive and very remote. A reservation on the ferry is a good idea. There are some free ferries run by the state. The one from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke is one. Ocracke is a neat place with a good NPS campground. There are very few trees around so shade is non-existent. The Cape Hatteras NS end is much more tourist friendly with campgrounds, restaurants, marinas, etc. Camping is not allowed on the beach. People do fish all night though, so. It's a very unique place. Study the internet for info and look at Google Maps.

DirtySox

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

No matter where you go be prepared for some wind. I was up there in November and first few days were calm. Then a front moved through and about 10 pm the wind got up and...it was a long night in my RTT. I had a better plan to tie things down but I got a little lax. Luckily, I had put away chairs, etc. that would have blown away. Depending on where exactly you plan to go you may need to purchase a permit to drive on the beach. The Cape Lookout National Seashore area allows camping on the beach. One needs to take a ferry that is fairly expensive and very remote. A reservation on the ferry is a good idea. There are some free ferries run by the state. The one from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke is one. Ocracke is a neat place with a good NPS campground. There are very few trees around so shade is non-existent. The Cape Hatteras NS end is much more tourist friendly with campgrounds, restaurants, marinas, etc. Camping is not allowed on the beach. People do fish all night though, so. It's a very unique place. Study the internet for info and look at Google Maps.
Thank you so much, very helpful advice.

Reactions: FishinCrzy