Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have not had any issues however that is very obnoxious in my opinion and you definitely will risk getting stopped for that. Assuming you're using a ram mount you should get a longer "shaft" and make it where you can move it over to the passenger side more and lower. Although I do see it would be hard to make it lower in the middle since you are in a manual.

Pilgrim

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ottawa, Canada
Member #

I can totally see why a LEO would question that GPS placement. A crossing vehicle, let alone a pedestrian, could easily be hidden from view. The would be a sad realization should it occur. Surely it can be lowered a bit, even if the vents are obscured a little?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I agree with what's been said. I run a similar setup, but hang it down over the radio. I don't have a pic handy, but the top of the tablet only sticks up a couple of inches above the radio. If you have controls on your steering wheel, there is no real need to see the radio 95% of the time you are driving.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I would suggest a slightly smaller set up. That does obstruct your view and it might cause issues for you. As far as moving it to the passenger side, well, that is a worse idea. In the event of airbag deployment, that would become a large projectile in the vehicle.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
While, in Colorado, you can get a ticket, I have found if you are civil and respectful, you should get by with a warning. If they give you any crap about it being distracting, harass them about the ones they have in their patrol cars, and laugh.

Reactions: Tim nash

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

No more distracting than passing a vehicle with TVs going for kids and I think it’s worse to have to look down towards the center while driving rather than just straight across

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
No more distracting than passing a vehicle with TVs going for kids and I think it’s worse to have to look down towards the center while driving rather than just straight across
Got that right. If you see a driver watching TV in the back seat of their vehicle with their kids while going down the road that is most definitely worse.

Reactions: Jeff B and Tim nash

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Well I do have a friend that is quite y’all and I think he could manage to do it ha but that would be a site to see