Rank IV

Advocate III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have not had any issues however that is very obnoxious in my opinion and you definitely will risk getting stopped for that. Assuming you're using a ram mount you should get a longer "shaft" and make it where you can move it over to the passenger side more and lower. Although I do see it would be hard to make it lower in the middle since you are in a manual.

Pilgrim

Rank III

Member I

Ottawa, Canada
Member #

I can totally see why a LEO would question that GPS placement. A crossing vehicle, let alone a pedestrian, could easily be hidden from view. The would be a sad realization should it occur. Surely it can be lowered a bit, even if the vents are obscured a little?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

The other Sean

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I agree with what's been said. I run a similar setup, but hang it down over the radio. I don't have a pic handy, but the top of the tablet only sticks up a couple of inches above the radio. If you have controls on your steering wheel, there is no real need to see the radio 95% of the time you are driving.

Jeff B

Rank V

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I would suggest a slightly smaller set up. That does obstruct your view and it might cause issues for you. As far as moving it to the passenger side, well, that is a worse idea. In the event of airbag deployment, that would become a large projectile in the vehicle.

old_man

Rank V
Supporter

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham Callsign
WØNUT Extra
While, in Colorado, you can get a ticket, I have found if you are civil and respectful, you should get by with a warning. If they give you any crap about it being distracting, harass them about the ones they have in their patrol cars, and laugh.

Reactions: Tim nash

Tim nash

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

No more distracting than passing a vehicle with TVs going for kids and I think it’s worse to have to look down towards the center while driving rather than just straight across

Wawa Skittletits

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
No more distracting than passing a vehicle with TVs going for kids and I think it’s worse to have to look down towards the center while driving rather than just straight across
Got that right. If you see a driver watching TV in the back seat of their vehicle with their kids while going down the road that is most definitely worse.

Reactions: Jeff B and Tim nash

Tim nash

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

Well I do have a friend that is quite y’all and I think he could manage to do it ha but that would be a site to see