Ione, CA, USA
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Kirkes
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I have a question. I'm not able to connect my in reach Mini to Ob1. Does anyone know if I am able to do this ? Or do I have to download maps prior to going on a trip

Reactions: Kent R

backcountrymedic

Rank III

Traveler III

Monterey, CA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Apperson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DMB
So I have a question. I'm not able to connect my in reach Mini to Ob1. Does anyone know if I am able to do this ? Or do I have to download maps prior to going on a trip
I don’t have the mini, but I have the Explorer. It pairs with the Earthmate app on my iPhone. I’m not aware of the ability to pair with OB1. I know that’s not a helpful answer, but now I’m curious to know if it’s possible as well.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not sure exactly what you are after here. Kind of sounds like you want the InReach to act as a data connection to allow you to see maps outside of cell/internet/WiFi reception? Or do you want the InReach to act as a GPS connected to the device that OB1 is running on? The former is not possible as the InReach does not provide an "internet connection"; the latter should be possible. FYI the InReach does not provide internet connectivity, rather it allows you to send/receive Short Burst Data (SBD) in order to communicate with Garmin's servers. Garmin then takes this SBD and presents it on the internet (or the opposite in the case where someone sends you a message).

If you want to have maps outside of internet connectivity you will need to download them before you need them while you have internet connectivity.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
InReach Mini can be used as your GPS link if you are using a non cell tablet, but like all the map programs you need to download the maps before you go due to the amount of data involved unless you have cell service on the trail.

Things will change once your phone/device is able to connect to a satellite system like Star Link or other provider.

Reactions: tundra21 and Ubiety