OB Pacific Northwest Trail Run - 2017 Edition

• HTML tutorial

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

If I were to come down from Canada for this trip, what is the cheapest option for passes?

As a side note, I just recently joined OB but I plan to buy a membership before the trip.

If I did this, I'd also consider continuing along the WABDR route up to the Canadian border.

Thanks
If you're going for less than three days, then day passes, but the Washington discovery (discover?) Pass is 30 for a year. I'm not sure which areas of WABDR are in national Forest and which are state. The NW forests pass is like 30 or 40 for a year also, $80 is you want the whole USA for federal forests and parks. Outside Washington I'm not familiar with forest access at the state level.

Posted via mobile. OB# 3459

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Thanks badmnky and snowtrout, I'll get the annual $30 Washington pass. It looks like the WABDR might go through the Wanatchee National Forest ( map: http :// ridebdr.com/WABDR ). If so, does that mean I require a national forest pass and the Washington Discoverer pass? Thanks guys.

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

Thanks badmnky and snowtrout, I'll get the annual $30 Washington pass. It looks like the WABDR might go through the Wanatchee National Forest ( map: http :// ridebdr.com/WABDR ). If so, does that mean I require a national forest pass and the Washington Discoverer pass? Thanks guys.
Here's a video, I'm still not clear, but you may not need a pass for the forests. I never had a pass for eastern wa, but I've always be told at the Cascades and west you do need one. May want to just call the ranger station and ask.

forest pass info video

Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
Headquarters
215 Melody Lane
Wenatchee, WA 98801
(509) 664-9200

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

If you're long distance I can call and ask in the morning for you.

Wow that's a kind offer badmnky! I can give them a call when it comes time to figure that out. I'm just sorting through all the logistics.

• equipment:
  • vacation time:
  • permutation of family members that will come along: Ϳ TBD ( I'm married with three young kids )
  • other people that might want to join for the WABDR portion: Ϳ TBD

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
@jdunk - Are you expecting the route to be stock/full-size 4x4 friendly? I'm not positive we'll be equipped for an overnight trip by August, but I'm definitely following the thread!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

It's still in the early stages... The campground that I was planning on using as a staging area is closed fore reasons other than weather, so I'm still trying to figure out how viable this particular section is.

A quick poll... would it make it easier, or harder for people to get to if we were to do a repeat of last years OB event?

@Chris Arnesen , as far as stock/full size. My XK was close to having an issue with one narrow section and a turn, what's the full size truck you're talking about? Stock ride height should be OK though. I'm trying to make sure that nobody is excluded because their rig isn't "built enough"

@Justin Forrest , There is a spreadsheet in the first post that I'm doing my best to keep updated... If anyone sees something wrong with it, send me a DM!

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
@Chris Arnesen , as far as stock/full size. My XK was close to having an issue with one narrow section and a turn, what's the full size truck you're talking about? Stock ride height should be OK though. I'm trying to make sure that nobody is excluded because their rig isn't "built enough"
It's a Ford F-250 SuperCab with a full-length bed (158" wheelbase)... I've made it through some tight places with it before (where a Crew Cab probably wouldn't work).

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

It's a Ford F-250 SuperCab with a full-length bed (158" wheelbase)... I've made it through some tight places with it before (where a Crew Cab probably wouldn't work).
I'll make a note of that. That's a pretty wide, and long rig. Is it one of the offroad models? There is one section at Bethel that might be an issue. But it looks like there might be issues with that one. If I have to move it to the alternate location, you should be fine.