Investor

Enthusiast I

Laurel, MT
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rutt
Member #

I know they had late snow this year but seemed nice and melted at the lower elevations last year. Pass didnt open tell june 3rd last year we are there 7-15 this year. We basically just want to drive out and base camp a couple days, thinking about right there at the bottom of the beartooth drive up to hellroaring and hike out. Idk looking for more ideas. Never ending space out there to explore!
Let me put together a list.

Reactions: donkability

watrboy

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Laurel, MT
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rutt
Member #

How are the areas between red lodge and big horn and custer? we have a group of guys out near bridger in june looking for quick easy stuff to do maybe some back country camping, nothing hard core we have a few 4x4's just want to disappear a couple days as the week will be quick and short. any tips on those areas?
It sounds like you like the mountains. Here is a list of low traffic sights to see. Some ideas not a lot of people see. May be too far away for your time. We just got more snow last night. Don't know how accessible the mountains will be.

Attachments

ArchaeoWolf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Missoula, Montana
Member #

From Glasgow, family of 4, rolling a 2016 Power Wagon. Still throwing stuff in my kit for some over landing. Currently on the hunt for a big ass camper...I'm trying to tell my wife she doesn't need all that. Hahaha! The struggle is real!

Also tour a 2010 KTM 990 Adv R. She got me to Prudhoe and back without a hitch...really love that bike.

Nice to see some Overlanders here! It would be fun to meet up somewhere. Walt
I’ll be over there this fall. Got some friends to visit and antelope to get!

Reactions: Shanning

Mturbo08

Rank 0

Contributor I

Stanford, MT, USA
Member #

Moved to Stanford last Thanksgiving. Not to far from Great Falls. I've got a 95 2500 suburban with the 6.5 diesel that I was going to swap over to a 454 stroker but now thinking I may just leave it as is. I haven't really explored much being as I moved here at the beginning of winter. As temps warm up I'm hoping me and the pup can get out and see some sites.

Reactions: BigskyLX

watrboy

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Laurel, MT
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rutt
Member #

Moved to Stanford last Thanksgiving. Not to far from Great Falls. I've got a 95 2500 suburban with the 6.5 diesel that I was going to swap over to a 454 stroker but now thinking I may just leave it as is. I haven't really explored much being as I moved here at the beginning of winter. As temps warm up I'm hoping me and the pup can get out and see some sites.
A lot of history in that country around you. The Shonkin Sag, Fort Benton, and the Missouri river out your back door. Beautiful place to explore and no crowd.

ddavismt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

East Helena, Montana, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Beth U.S. Navy
Not new to the site, not new to East Helena, Montana, just didn't venture to this part of the forums ...but....... Howdy, from East Helena!
Building my Overlanding rig, have it all weighed down, now I need suspension upgrades. Hope to see Y'all on the trail.
thinking about hitting the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway, week of the 4th (of July). Pics to follow.

NicaDave

Rank II

Member I

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force (Retired)
Oh man! I wished I would have met some of you while I lived there (Aug 2016 - Aug 2018). Got promoted and the Air Force moved me to Alaska. Not complaining as Alaska is cool but there is something so special about Montana. I shall return!

Last edited:

nrlarson0107

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colstrip, MT, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Hey guys and gals. I've been a member for a couple of year but have been based in MN. My family and I have relocated to Colstrip, MT.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

This is a cool Rally Point for your state. Go RSVP

LamzTaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitefish, MT, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Lamley
Member #

I'm Lamz and currently reside in Whitefish, MT.
I would like to hit the trails in this great state with some members!

ChuckMorse

Rank I

Contributor III

Montana
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Morse
Hey all. New to the site, New to Montana (Great Falls), and new to Overlanding! Got a stock 2019 Ram 1500 that I want to kit out to do some back country trails and camping this summer. Looking for advice and adventure. Nice to meet y'all!

Reactions: LamzTaco

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Hey guys I'm in Stanford 5 min. From the little belts. My Overlanding rig is a 97 GMC Suburban 2500 which is in the middle of a power plant change. Going from a 5.7 vortec to an 8.1. My overlanding crew consists of Zander the German Shepherd and Nhasi the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Best crew ever untill rabbit runs by...
Nice just got ridgeback pup..