US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi everyone, just moved to Canon CIty CO from the Central Valley of California. I miss the Sierra Nevadas but am really looking forward to exploring up in the Rockies and getting to know folks through OB.
Welcome fellow Software Engineer! I’m up in Denver, hope to meet you soon!

Reactions: rav4roaming

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome! I live out here Pueblo west! There are a lot of fun trails out here. Hopefully we can meet up sometime!
That'd be great, I don't think it's difficult but we'd like to try out Red Canyon and Phantom Canyon roads sometime soon and visit Cripple Creek.
Count me in!

Don't forget Shelf Rd. You can also go into Seep Springs from Red Canyon and The Bank from Shelf Rd.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hosting a Rigs and Coffee/Cookout on November 6th in Elizabeth, CO. Rally Point with all the details is active.
All are welcome. Come by, grab some grub, and meet other Colorado OB members and hang out for a bit!!
Colorado Rigs & Coffee & Cookout

FrankenWagon

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
Al
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Hello all, my name is Al and I'm between Kersey and LaSalle. My rig is currently in pieces being assembled made scientist style. It's a 1955 Willys FrankenWagon with a Detroit diesel from a humvee, a Ford transmission, a dana 18 transfer case, a warn overdrive, scout front axle, jeep rear axle, chevy steering box, jeep steering column, and a custom lift with the same Blazer leaf springs all the way around. Makes a trail fix easier when one spare can fix any spring. One of these days I'll finish assembling this thing.

Been lurking here a for a bit. Looking forward to meeting up with some locals.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Hello all, my name is Al and I'm between Kersey and LaSalle. My rig is currently in pieces being assembled made scientist style. It's a 1955 Willys FrankenWagon with a Detroit diesel from a humvee, a Ford transmission, a dana 18 transfer case, a warn overdrive, scout front axle, jeep rear axle, chevy steering box, jeep steering column, and a custom lift with the same Blazer leaf springs all the way around. Makes a trail fix easier when one spare can fix any spring. One of these days I'll finish assembling this thing.

Be cool to see some pictures of the FrankenWagon sounds really cool.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Welcome Al! Can't wait to see you rig!

rav4roaming

Rank III

Advocate III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Candice
Last Name
Engel
Member #

Hello Rocky Mtn Overlanders! I'm Candice, new to overlanding. Of course my FJ friends, and my Jeep owning dad got me interested in it. I'm back in my native state of Colorado after 20 years in Cali. Please don't hold that against me!

I have 2 adult daughters who love the outdoors (another inspiration for getting out to explore), and now that they are grown up I have more time to do things I'm interested in. So I'm looking to meetup with other outdoor explorers or go on solo trips.

I like to road trip, hike, cook, starting to get into geocaching, and I like to travel. I think and I want to like camping! We'll see how it goes! (I haven't camped since I was a kid.)

In particular I'm looking for other RAV4 Limited owners who have done modifications (or not but still overland!) so that I can learn from you. It seems to be the least likely to be modified line of Rav4s! When I bought it I had no intention of making modifications - too bad I didn't know the TRD and Adventure models were on it's heels! ugh.

Anyway, I hope to meet some new friends in this community, so feel free to connect!

Attachments

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello Rocky Mtn Overlanders! I'm Candice, new to overlanding. Of course my FJ friends, and my Jeep owning dad got me interested in it. I'm back in my native state of Colorado after 20 years in Cali. Please don't hold that against me!

I have 2 adult daughters who love the outdoors (another inspiration for getting out to explore), and now that they are grown up I have more time to do things I'm interested in. So I'm looking to meetup with other outdoor explorers or go on solo trips.

I like to road trip, hike, cook, starting to get into geocaching, and I like to travel. I think and I want to like camping! We'll see how it goes! (I haven't camped since I was a kid.)

In particular I'm looking for other RAV4 Limited owners who have done modifications (or not but still overland!) so that I can learn from you. It seems to be the least likely to be modified line of Rav4s! When I bought it I had no intention of making modifications - too bad I didn't know the TRD and Adventure models were on it's heels! ugh.

Anyway, I hope to meet some new friends in this community, so feel free to connect!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

It's great to meet you, Candice!

The Denver area guys are making a day run today around Idaho Springs. I'm on a solo trip in Buena Vista and I'm typing to you from my sleeping bag at the moment.

Of course, this is the slow season, but we may have a few runs along. Any particular areas you'd like to try?

rav4roaming

Rank III

Advocate III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Candice
Last Name
Engel
Member #

It's great to meet you, Candice!

The Denver area guys are making a day run today around Idaho Springs. I'm on a solo trip in Buena Vista and I'm typing to you from my sleeping bag at the moment.

Of course, this is the slow season, but we may have a few runs along. Any particular areas you'd like to try?
Easy stuff initially so that I can learn my vehicle, and build my confidence. I live about 2 hours East of Denver or Colorado Springs. Eager to get outdoors and reacquaint myself with my homeland!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Crashing Rhino

Rank II

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KEØWAJ
Hi everyone. I am Bill. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I Drive a 2008 stock Toyota Tacoma DCSB. I am currently designing and building a sleeping platform for the bed and preparing for an 8 week sabbatical. The first week is me by myself in the woods, decompressing, reading, fishing, Mountain Biking, Hammocking and resting. I joined to seek wisdom from others who have gone before me. I am a rookie to say the least. I have watched a lot of Youtube learning about overloading, camping & survival. Looking forward to the engagement from you all. IMG_1564_Original.JPG

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hi everyone. I am Bill. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I Drive a 2008 stock Toyota Tacoma DCSB. I am currently designing and building a sleeping platform for the bed and preparing for an 8 week sabbatical. The first week is me by myself in the woods, decompressing, reading, fishing, Mountain Biking, Hammocking and resting. I joined to seek wisdom from others who have gone before me. I am a rookie to say the least. I have watched a lot of Youtube learning about overloading, camping & survival. Looking forward to the engagement from you all. View attachment 231215
Welcome to the community ! We have a fair few members in the springs area as well as in south Denver (parker) area. I'm up in FoCo but feel free to reach out if, also with the season starting up keep an eye on rally point, lots of weekender and other trips in the near future.

Reactions: Crashing Rhino

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi everyone. I am Bill. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I Drive a 2008 stock Toyota Tacoma DCSB. I am currently designing and building a sleeping platform for the bed and preparing for an 8 week sabbatical. The first week is me by myself in the woods, decompressing, reading, fishing, Mountain Biking, Hammocking and resting. I joined to seek wisdom from others who have gone before me. I am a rookie to say the least. I have watched a lot of Youtube learning about overloading, camping & survival. Looking forward to the engagement from you all. View attachment 231215
Welcome Bill!

Reactions: Crashing Rhino

Crashing Rhino

Rank II

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KEØWAJ
So have any of you been up to Turquoise Lake? If so, how are the MTB trails and fishing?