Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Hey fellow Coloradians! Well... I'm not a CO native, but oh well, all one in the same.

Anyways, I'm Arin (#18298). Moved to Denver from Mississippi last June, and have been immersing myself in the overland world ever since. I'm a novice to vehicle based camping & overlanding but not new to tent camping/hunting/Bushcraft thanks to my Alaskan grown upbringing.

I drive a 2016 Ram Rebel that I've been building for the backcountry and it's coming along well. When it comes to builds and accessories, does one ever get to the point where they say "yeah, I think that's all I need to add to my rig?" Because I'm starting to question it [emoji23] This lifestyle has been a lot like firearms for me. My safe can never be full enough, and my bank account reflects.

Anyways, I hope to meet some or all of you in the Colorado/Denver area at some point. Rolling with others is sometimes a better experience than solitary travels, so if anyone's planning trips and want some company, let me know! BTW, I'm gonna be doing the Alpine Loop trail from Silverton to Ouray, and then hitting Telluride on the way out next weekend (Sat 6/15 - Mon 6/17) if anyone would like to tag along.

Cheers [emoji482]IMG_0154.JPG

Reactions: Gnar

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Hello!

I'm Moses. I'm new to the forum.

I do planetary geology and remote sensing. I lead planetary geology field trips for planetary scientists, and am currently working on creating a planetary geology+photography field camp for amateurs. I used to teach high school and middle school math, robotics, and computer science.

Since I'm in Flagstaff, AZ, I guess I'm technically not in the Rocky Mountain area, but most of my time is spent in the Four Corners region, so I'm going to claim both the Rocky Mountain (Utah and Colorado) and the Southwest regions as my home on these forums.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey fellow Coloradians! Well... I'm not a CO native, but oh well, all one in the same.

Anyways, I'm Arin (#18298). Moved to Denver from Mississippi last June, and have been immersing myself in the overland world ever since. I'm a novice to vehicle based camping & overlanding but not new to tent camping/hunting/Bushcraft thanks to my Alaskan grown upbringing.

I drive a 2016 Ram Rebel that I've been building for the backcountry and it's coming along well. When it comes to builds and accessories, does one ever get to the point where they say "yeah, I think that's all I need to add to my rig?" Because I'm starting to question it [emoji23] This lifestyle has been a lot like firearms for me. My safe can never be full enough, and my bank account reflects.

Anyways, I hope to meet some or all of you in the Colorado/Denver area at some point. Rolling with others is sometimes a better experience than solitary travels, so if anyone's planning trips and want some company, let me know! BTW, I'm gonna be doing the Alpine Loop trail from Silverton to Ouray, and then hitting Telluride on the way out next weekend (Sat 6/15 - Mon 6/17) if anyone would like to tag along.

Cheers [emoji482]View attachment 101761
Welcome neighbor!

I moved out here from AL 14 years ago myself.

I'm sorry to tell you that the Alpine Loop is very unlikely to be open yet because of the big winter they've had. Let me know if you need more info and I'll try to link you.

We do have an event coming up in Buena Vista the last weekend of this month. The link is in my signature line. Let me know if you can't see it and I'll get it to you.

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Welcome neighbor!

I moved out here from AL 14 years ago myself.

I'm sorry to tell you that the Alpine Loop is very unlikely to be open yet because of the big winter they've had. Let me know if you need more info and I'll try to link you.

We do have an event coming up in Buena Vista the last weekend of this month. The link is in my signature line. Let me know if you can't see it and I'll get it to you.
Roll Tide! Where at in AL are you from? My girlfriend is from Birmingham and cheered at Bama and transferred to MS State to cheer there. Hence how we met(interesting story) haha.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even really consider the snow pack from this winter and the trail conditions... So I called an off-road rental shop in Silverton. Your suspicion is confirmed and the loop isn't fully open [emoji45] but she said large portions of the trail are open, and the debris fields from these "200 year" Avy's are something to behold. Soooooo, we're still gonna make the trip!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Roll Tide! Where at in AL are you from? My girlfriend is from Birmingham and cheered at Bama and transferred to MS State to cheer there. Hence how we met(interesting story) haha.
I grew up in Dothan, but was last in Montgomery when we skedaddled. War Eagle!

Thanks for the info. I didn't even really consider the snow pack from this winter and the trail conditions... So I called an off-road rental shop in Silverton. Your suspicion is confirmed and the loop isn't fully open [emoji45] but she said large portions of the trail are open, and the debris fields from these "200 year" Avy's are something to behold. Soooooo, we're still gonna make the trip!
The Alpine Loop is the main tourist attraction so I'm sure they're going to talk you into coming. Hopefully you can return later and do some of the others like Imogene, Black Bear, California, Hurricane and Stony, etc.

Besides the Buena Vista trip: Buena Vista June Jam there is also a trip in August that starts in Moab and takes 4WD roads all the way to Ouray to run those trails: Rocks n Rockies. Hope to see you at one of those!

unknown_overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Boulder, CO
First Name
Makia
Last Name
Minich
Member #

Just making my way slowly through the forums and realized I should drop a stake down here as well. I'm Makia, live just outside of Boulder, and have been overlanding the last few years in my 2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon. It has a few mods here and there, but most of the outside is stock-ish.

I work on computer-type things and dabble in various forms of film and photography.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Just making my way slowly through the forums and realized I should drop a stake down here as well. I'm Makia, live just outside of Boulder, and have been overlanding the last few years in my 2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon. It has a few mods here and there, but most of the outside is stock-ish.

I work on computer-type things and dabble in various forms of film and photography.
Welcome! It's great to have you here! I subscribed to your YT.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
For those on the southern Front Range, please be aware of a new regular monthly meetup:

SE Colorado Monthly Meetup

Don't hesitate to make any suggestions that you think would make this better..

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

We live up in the north front range area. We love that we are so close to all sorts of beautiful areas to spend some nights. Often times we only have one free night on a weekend but that won't stop us from getting away for a minute.

The rig is a '14 Ram 1500 with the KB Voodoo rack, Smittybilt tent and Retrax bed cover. A Procomp 4" lift, wheels and 35's are on order.

Attachments

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We live up in the north front range area. We love that we are so close to all sorts of beautiful areas to spend some nights. Often times we only have one free night on a weekend but that won't stop us from getting away for a minute.

The rig is a '14 Ram 1500 with the KB Voodoo rack, Smittybilt tent and Retrax bed cover. A Procomp 4" lift, wheels and 35's are on order.
It's great to meet you! Hope to see you at one if the upcoming meetups...

Reactions: Roam Bearded

Lifesaver

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
Greetings all, I'm new to the forums and overlanding. I live in Fountain. I followed a post from Cendee to find my way here. I drive a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. It is my baby. She is equipped with CB and HAM radio for comms. I keep a fully stocked trauma bag in her at all times. There are three fire extinguishers, along with some basic tools and recovery strap. Does anyone else carry flares or smoke grenades for when you're REALLY out there? They have raised a few eyebrows during searches going through the gate at work, lol. I look forward to meeting some of y'all.

Attachments

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Greetings all, I'm new to the forums and overlanding. I live in Fountain. I followed a post from Cendee to find my way here. I drive a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. It is my baby. She is equipped with CB and HAM radio for comms. I keep a fully stocked trauma bag in her at all times. There are three fire extinguishers, along with some basic tools and recovery strap. Does anyone else carry flares or smoke grenades for when you're REALLY out there? They have raised a few eyebrows during searches going through the gate at work, lol. I look forward to meeting some of y'all.
Army guy? Welcome! I am from loveland colorado. I use to fight forest fires for a living an flares where always a good tool! Carry them alot of the times. Smoke grenades are awesome!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Reactions: Ricky-Bobbi

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Welcome! I'm trying to get a monthly meeting going for this area and it happens to be in Fountain: SE Colorado Monthly Meetup

I hope to see you around!

Lifesaver

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
Army guy? Welcome! I am from loveland colorado. I use to fight forest fires for a living an flares where always a good tool! Carry them alot of the times. Smoke grenades are awesome!
Yes, old Army. I work for the Air Force now. That has taken a bit of adapting.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Please send me a date and location. I'd be interested in attending, especially if food or beer is involved.
The info was in the link I provided: SE Colorado Monthly Meetup

At present this one doesn't involve food and/or beer unless we did a cookout at the park, but I'm certainly open to doing something elsewhere. I'm hoping to find guys like yourself that are closer to the population areas to help get something like that going. Can you suggest a venue in your area?

Lifesaver

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
The info was in the link I provided: SE Colorado Monthly Meetup

At present this one doesn't involve food and/or beer unless we did a cookout at the park, but I'm certainly open to doing something elsewhere. I'm hoping to find guys like yourself that are closer to the population areas to help get something like that going. Can you suggest a venue in your area?
I can think of a few places that might work. Most would depend on member's preferences. Just off the top of my head, there is the Golden Corral on Powers at Palmer Park. It's a buffet. So, anyone interested in attending should be able to find something to eat. It has a lot of parking. It is not overly expensive. So, those on a budget, or driving Jeeps, should be able to afford it. It also has a private meeting room, as I recall. I'll try to think of some other places. Cost will be something I need to factor i, I'm sure.