• HTML tutorial

JWMartin

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Peyton, CO, USA
Member #

Hello everyone!

Jason here from the Colorado Springs area. Bought my first Jeep last year (2018 Jeep Rubicon) and became instantly addicted to wheeling. I’ve decided to take the Overland route vs rock crawling and starting to outfit my rig.

My wife and I are looking forward to future adventures and meeting everyone.
I’m officially in the Club!

Attachments

Ricky-Bobbi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Arguello
Member #

Hello all, my name is Ricky Arguello, I am a Colorado native. I live in Colorado Springs for the past 20 years. I’m an automotive technician. I love the outdoors, I currently drive a 2008 Subaru Forester. I’m always looking for like minded people to go on adventures with,AAF664D5-341A-4610-8E85-F8D78C8743DE.jpeg0150D74A-3C54-40FA-B580-C1040852EF8E.jpeg90FC2C3D-C03F-48C2-BA25-4A9325612B6F.jpeg

chrismutchler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mutchler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKX
Hello from Colorado Springs. I'm Chris (OB #18863), father of 6, and brand new to the overlanding scene (and off-roading in general). Been in Colorado for a year, so I'm a recent transplant to the state. I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road that I just purchased in April and am beginning the overlanding journey. Looking to learn from others in the area, especially how to take advantage of the truck I just purchased to get away from the typically crowded areas.

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard

New the forum, live in downtown Denver and work in the Springs (everyone thinks I'm crazy here..) I grew up in Northern VA just outside of Washington DC. Wife and I moved to Denver over 3 years ago now and have 3 dogs (1 silky terrier and 2 vizslas). Pics are from a trip to Moab in February where snow storms kept us off the popular crawling trails which was fine since that much snow in the desert is pretty rare and we got to explore trails we'd normally never run.

Curtis Parsons

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Woodland Park, CO
Member #

Hello Everyone, I'm Curtis and I live in Woodland Park. I've been camping and living outdoors since I was a kid growing up in Ca. and Or. I spent a lot of time roughing it for my 25 years in the Army, and I've been getting into overlanding for the past 5 years. I've been using my '79 Jeep CJ7 , My '04 Dodge Ram 2500 (which I still have) and my current vehicle. My current vehicle is a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 and it is true what they say...it will turn you into a mechanic, but it is THE funnest vehicle I have ever driven. I have spent some time getting it to a state of reliability and was able to drive a 3k mile trip last summer, although we did limp back the last couple hundred miles on a transfer case that was going out...made it to the driveway though.

Attachments

denverdisco2

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Will
Last Name
Howard
Hello Everyone, I'm Curtis and I live in Woodland Park. I've been camping and living outdoors since I was a kid growing up in Ca. and Or. I spent a lot of time roughing it for my 25 years in the Army, and I've been getting into overlanding for the past 5 years. I've been using my '79 Jeep CJ7 , My '04 Dodge Ram 2500 (which I still have) and my current vehicle. My current vehicle is a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 and it is true what they say...it will turn you into a mechanic, but it is THE funnest vehicle I have ever driven. I have spent some time getting it to a state of reliability and was able to drive a 3k mile trip last summer, although we did limp back the last couple hundred miles on a transfer case that was going out...made it to the driveway though.
There is something about the damn Discovery 2s....once you drive one you can't quit them regardless of the crap they put you through. Luckily so far most of my issues have been the fact that it's 20 years old and things wear out and fail.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

There is something about the damn Discovery 2s....once you drive one you can't quit them regardless of the crap they put you through. Luckily so far most of my issues have been the fact that it's 20 years old and things wear out and fail.
You can say that about the Jeep Xj as well.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Time I introduce ourselves also. My name is David (wife's Jan) I have been Semi-Retired for about 8 years now. And retired from running my own little business (of 10 years) to take a job at our local school system., so that I can have the time to go out and play. Happily married, 3 kids and 5 grand babies and a dog. I enjoy many hobbies, but have fallen for wheeling my rig all over our state. Now I want to spend more mile on dirt out exploring things and less time on the pavement. Hence joining up with others that really want to do the same thing.

Wife and I are looking forward meeting others and taking trips that allow us to see more of our great country.
DSCN0626 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2376 (1024x768).jpgDSCN0389 (1024x768).jpgJans photos 769 (1024x576) (2).jpg

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello all! Better late than never, right??

My earliest memory of 4x4 was trying to take one of my grandfather's old farm trucks across the bed of a dried up fish pond. I sunk it to the frame! I was probably about 12.

I've had various 4WD vehicles over the years, but got serious into Jeeps about 20 years ago when I lived in my home state of AL. I heavily modified a CJ and spent a lot of time in NC/TN rockcrawling and 'overlanding' (but I probably didn't know the term at the time). I even dragged that Jeep all the way to Moab in 2003. Upper Helldorado (BFE) and Pritchett Canyon are two of the harder trails I remember doing.

On my first trip out west in 2002 I rented a stock Isuzu Trooper in Grand Junction and had a blast in Moab with a quick jaunt through Ouray and Silverton. (My wife is terrified of shelf roads.) That's the only time I've done Top of the World in Moab. I understand it's much harder now.

In 2005 some buddies and I drove our daily drivers out to Ouray and enjoyed the famous trails such as Engineer and Imogene, etc.

Later that year my wife and I moved to Pueblo West, CO with nothing more than some furniture, our cars, and a hotel reservation. We had never even visited the front range and we had no jobs. Soon after I picked up a built 2005 Rubicon Unlimited and again enjoyed parts of UT and CO.

I ultimately downsized due to being semi-retired. My overlanding rig is now my Chevrolet Avalanche that I bought new in late 2001. It's surprisingly capable with the sway bars disconnected. Having the mid-gate functionality makes for a great sleeping area between the cab and truck bed. It has had its share of fun in UT, CO and AZ as well.

My lifestyle has changed since I decided to spend less time working and more time enjoying life. As a result, I approach most things including this hobby with a minimalist approach. My goal is to do more with less.

I recently accepted the position of OB Member Representative for SouthEast CO. Our goal is to establish a regular monthly meetup with overnight trips at least quarterly.

As of today, Colorado has these two events scheduled:
Colorado Front Range Camp out Meetup
Rocks n Rockies

If you have an idea for a fun trip, please don't hesitate to share it with me and/or the forum! Presently I'm seeking feedback for this trip idea:
COLORADO FRONT RANGERS: Any interest in a trip to Hermit, Hayden and Medano Passes (Great Sand Dunes)?

My Member Rep area of responsibility is:

We'd like to have a regular meetup on the 2nd Tuesdays of the month, 6 - 8 PM. The goal is to get to know one another, show off our rigs, discuss trip ideas and ultimately have some training programs. There are a few of us in Pueblo County and beyond but the bulk of the SECO membership is in El Paso County. I would appreciate any suggestions for outdoor meeting areas while the weather is nice. Perhaps around Fountain, maybe?

Also, I am heavily involved in amateur radio. I will promote this idea more later, but for now know that if I can help anyone get licensed please let me know!

I look forward to meeting you all. Please let me hear from you with your ideas. Thanks!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Time I introduce ourselves also. My name is David (wife's Jan) I have been Semi-Retired for about 8 years now. And retired from running my own little business (of 10 years) to take a job at our local school system., so that I can have the time to go out and play. Happily married, 3 kids and 5 grand babies and a dog. I enjoy many hobbies, but have fallen for wheeling my rig all over our state. Now I want to spend more mile on dirt out exploring things and less time on the pavement. Hence joining up with others that really want to do the same thing.

Wife and I are looking forward meeting others and taking trips that allow us to see more of our great country.

Thanks for setting up the Buena Vista trip!

Are you free during the week?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello there! Would love to meet more folks in Colorado - and if anyone is going to Gone Moab in a few weeks.

Hello back at ya!

Did you make it to Moab? If not, would you like to suggest a road trip, uh, OFF-road trip?

Are you aware of the trips planned in June and August?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello OB members. From Broomfield CO here. Would love to do some outings.
Are you aware of the ones planned for June and August?

Are there any particular destinations you'd like to suggest?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Thanks for setting up the Buena Vista trip!

Are you free during the week?
Pretty busy all week, going camping Rampart reservoir over the weekend. Today was a blast, went on a ride along Chinamans gulch. By far the hardest trail I have been on. Don't think I would ever do it, wouldn't want to tear mine up.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Pretty busy all week, going camping Rampart reservoir over the weekend. Today was a blast, went on a ride along Chinamans gulch. By far the hardest trail I have been on. Don't think I would ever do it, wouldn't want to tear mine up.
My intent was to find out if you were normally free on weekdays not necessarily this coming week.

I haven't done Chinaman, but I did do Carnage Canyon several years ago in my CJ.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Hey Folks, OB1375 here. Got locked out of the forums a bit due to a little issue with 2-factor auth (If you are about to get a new phone, turn 2-factor auth OFF first, or you'll have the same issue I did).

I have a place in Denver, but you'll rarely find me there :tongueclosed:

Contributor I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Smith
Hey guys! My name is Nick. I live in Colorado Springs. I have been interested in overlanding for several years. I actually work for a business focused on selling 4x4 accessories catered to the overlanding community here in northern Colorado Springs, just south of Denver. I currently drive a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek that I am debating building into an overlanding rig within the limitations of a unibody, awd vehicle. Ideally I'd like to acquire a more dedicated 4x4 SUV or truck here soon. Anyways, just wanted to pass along the information to you guys.

here's the crosstrek. Pretty much stock at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JDGreens

Gnar

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Mintern
Member #

Hello Overlanders! I recently started putting my rig together and can hardly contain myself. I may start a little build thread for my own sake. My girl and I are making a trip at the end of July. Stopping in Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, and Great Sand Dunes.
I'm new to using a vehicle to camp but as a mechanic, welder, inventor, and eagle scout; I think I can contribute to this community as well as learn some things from you guys. Im also fairly new to this part of the country. I spent most of my life traipsing around the east coast. I did live in my 1986 4runner for a while, but mostly just to chase the surf.
I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and the adventures that lie ahead!
Also, any of you needing mechanical help or metal fab, dont be scared to ask.

Reactions: JDGreens and Boort