Jamestown, Fentress County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Is there a shift and PL tone that needs to be programmed into the frequency posted for the OB HAM channel? Or do we just use that channel and decide as a group what the shift along with the PL tone should be?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Is there a shift and PL tone that needs to be programmed into the frequency posted for the OB HAM channel? Or do we just use that channel and decide as a group what the shift along with the PL tone should be?
In MOST areas, 146.460 is a simplex frequency, so no PL or shift is needed or necessary. Just to be on the safe side though, ALWAYS check the Band Plan for your state/area (or area where you want to use it) to be sure that it has not been assigned as part of a repeater pair so as not to interfere with the repeater.

Reactions: Tallen79

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I’ve never heard a sound on that channel speaking anything other than Russian in my area (any area for that matter). Have never made a contact calling CQ either. That said, having an “official” frequency seems pointless. Just decide at a trips start what we will talk on and away we go. Too many good repeaters in my area to monitor when cruising locally and 146.46 seems to be monitoring dead air when I am traveling out of the area. I end up monitoring 146.520 when traveling and whatever my group is on. 146.520 is where I will tune for help when I need it and am running out of options which is why I in turn monitor it. Hoping others do to.

But, I’m a pretty green egg in the HAM world. Perhaps there’s more to it that I am unaware of? Always looking to learn.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Plenty of discussion on this topic on the original thread.

Reactions: Dusther210

Tallen79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jamestown, Fentress County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Erskine
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8KTR
Plenty of discussion on this topic on the original thread.

Thanks I didnt know this existed.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Really depends on your area. My area has a popular repeater on 146.460 with a frequency shift. You can always look up the area and see if there are any repeaters on that frequency. Talk to some hams and decide on a frequency to move to

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Really depends on your area. My area has a popular repeater on 146.460 with a frequency shift. You can always look up the area and see if there are any repeaters on that frequency. Talk to some hams and decide on a frequency to move to
Are you on KQ2H also?

Yep. I forgot what frequency I hit it on. I hit N2ACF pretty easily. There’s a few repeaters in my area. I believe that’s the one I hit on 146.460

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Are you on KQ2H also?

Yep. I forgot what frequency I hit it on. I hit N2ACF pretty easily. There’s a few repeaters in my area. I believe that’s the one I hit on 146.460
Same here, I’m always on N2ACF Pomona (KD2UNH)